or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 163

post #2431 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

David ... you forgot to add this to your K501 review.  "Acoustic masters" wink.gif

 

 

 

+1

 

Right now I am listening to Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" on my new K501 and it is just amazing. Dare I say it is a more human experience than my k701 or HD650. I am really thrilled with this headphone's ability to sound "genuine".

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Are the HD800's on another level from the K501s when it comes to reproducing acoustic music?

 

 


 

My personal opinion is NO. I have heard HD800 and have to say that although they have better resolution and bass extension they are not in another league when it comes to naturalness. I also listen to a great deal of classical music and jazz and k501 is a pure joy. I think I will buy another pair just in case something happens to the pair I own right now, wink.gif

post #2432 of 5358

I'm very curious about this K501 . I've just picked a used pair in ( apparently) mint condition for 70€ . I hope i will love it enough to keep it for when I'm in a "classical music" mood. rolleyes.gif


Edited by Sorrodje - 1/18/13 at 6:49am
post #2433 of 5358
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

David ... you forgot to add this to your K501 review.  "Acoustic masters" wink.gif

 

Are the HD800's on another level from the K501s when it comes to reproducing acoustic music?

 

Musical Journey For those interested.  

Track 3.  Concentrate on the accordion.  The flubbering when he depresses are breathtaking (stage right aka NE aka 45 degrees right from center).  Kobain's descent, dip followed by a raise in vocal tone @ 3:36.  The intricacies are throughout this great listen!

 

 

Darn, album finished.  Moving onto...

 

 

 

^^^ Between them and Radiohead, I'm not sure who's more doom and gloom.  Moving to...

 

 

 

^^^ Prior to David I tried...

 

 

File written with CompuPic(R) - Photodex Corporation (http://www.photodex.com)

 

... but it was too painful of a listen. The 'bright' background of the K501's w/ the forward midrange and emphasized treble due to lack of bottom end is not suited for electric guitars.

 

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train / Without a Trace -- sound great as well.  I'm seeing a pattern here.

 

Joan Osborne - One of Us.  The guitar amp feedback can be heard during the intro on the right and is quickly adjusted.  Great song as well with a killer solo.  Recognize!

I personally feel that the HD800 are on another level from the K501 regarding acoustic music.  But the K501s are wonderful.  By the way, I love both the Nirvana and AIC albums, but I've always been more partial to the AIC Unplugged because I feel that that is their definitive album, and every song on it is better (to me) than the original electric version.  My favorite Nirvana album is In Utero.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesh View Post

This review was much MUCH more than I expected. Thank you very much.

 

If you are able I would like you to do one for headphone amps too! atsmile.gif

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

 

+1

 

Right now I am listening to Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" on my new K501 and it is just amazing. Dare I say it is a more human experience than my k701 or HD650. I am really thrilled with this headphone's ability to sound "genuine".

 

 


 

My personal opinion is NO. I have heard HD800 and have to say that although they have better resolution and bass extension they are not in another league when it comes to naturalness. I also listen to a great deal of classical music and jazz and k501 is a pure joy. I think I will buy another pair just in case something happens to the pair I own right now, wink.gif

Love Astral Weeks, its a great record to really zone out from your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

I'm very curious about this K501 . I've just picked a used pair in ( apparently) mint condition for 70€ . I hope i will love it enough to keep it for when I'm in a "classical music" mood. rolleyes.gif

I think you will:) but if not..... sell em:)

post #2434 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

I'm very curious about this K501 . I've just picked a used pair in ( apparently) mint condition for 70€ . I hope i will love it enough to keep it for when I'm in a "classical music" mood. rolleyes.gif

OMG, 70€ It's a steal! smile.gif

post #2435 of 5358

Hi David, how would you compare the TH900 to the LCD3? I have read several comparisons and I am still not sure which to buy

post #2436 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

For me..

 

HE-6 --> HE-5LE --> HE-4 --> HE-500 --> HE-400

 

I use stock Denon Dx000s pads on all mine.

 

Waiting to get my hands on a pair of HE-5s

Dont know about Denons but I also prefer HE5LE with pleather pads. You could try to remove grills and get rid of foams. Paired with good copper cable ( I use DHC Molecule) I hear only advantages of it. Paired with good equipment I hear their great potential. Even changing IC is more pronounced than ever.

I hope David gets opportunity to hear it and share his opinion.

post #2437 of 5358
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by engelhaft View Post

Hi David, how would you compare the TH900 to the LCD3? I have read several comparisons and I am still not sure which to buy

 

If I'm directly comparing them I would say something like this:

 

TH900 has a very natural, euphonious sound that is great with most music.  It is detailed, but not as much as the LCD-3.  It soundstage is wide, though not quite as large as the LCD-3.  It is closed back though, which is of great benefit.  It is drastically more comfortable.  It doesn't have a detachable cable though.  And maybe most importantly, you can drive it with almost anything and still get good results.  It may be a little too sensitive in some ways though.

 

LCD3 is darker than the TH900, but more revealing (I consider this a wonderful anomaly).  Both headphones are forgiving though.  The LCD-3 is more picky regarding amplification and not nearly as comfortable.  It is also open back.  

 

When they are both amped to their best, sonically I think you're comparing a dark, but revealing and expressive sound-signature (LCD-3) to a euphonic yet smooth and sultry sound signature (TH900)

post #2438 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

 

+1

 

Right now I am listening to Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" on my new K501 and it is just amazing. Dare I say it is a more human experience than my k701 or HD650. I am really thrilled with this headphone's ability to sound "genuine".

 

 


 

My personal opinion is NO. I have heard HD800 and have to say that although they have better resolution and bass extension they are not in another league when it comes to naturalness. I also listen to a great deal of classical music and jazz and k501 is a pure joy. I think I will buy another pair just in case something happens to the pair I own right now, wink.gif

Thank you for your HD800 impressions.  I really have no reason to "upgrade" or "side grade" to the HD800 as the K501's do sound so natural and fluid.  Evaluating my options is all :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

I'm very curious about this K501 . I've just picked a used pair in ( apparently) mint condition for 70€ . I hope i will love it enough to keep it for when I'm in a "classical music" mood. rolleyes.gif

Classical, vocal, acoustic and jazz (though that's my least listened to genre) are sublime on the K501's.  You are in for a treat.

post #2439 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post

Dont know about Denons but I also prefer HE5LE with pleather pads. You could try to remove grills and get rid of foams. Paired with good copper cable ( I use DHC Molecule) I hear only advantages of it. Paired with good equipment I hear their great potential. Even changing IC is more pronounced than ever.

I hope David gets opportunity to hear it and share his opinion.

And maybe try out my mod for the pleathers to further push the pleather advantage? Shameless self-plug haha.

post #2440 of 5358

Thanks for  your help here David.

 

I am just starting at this hobby, so far I have just listened some Shure IEMs(being the 420 the highest I gone with Shure), Sony MDR-EX1000 the M50 and my best IEM right now is a CIEM Frogbeats C4 so right now I just have a portable amp the RSA SR-71B. I would like to get the best sound quality on a full size headphone but I would take some time to get a desktop amp so would I be lossing to much if I chose the LCD3 with that source? is really that big the difference when you change from amp to amp using the LCD3? would you recommend better the TH900 if I do not have a really top quality dektop amp?

 

Sorry for the ton of questions jejeje, just trying to do some research before buying an expensive equipement bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

 

If I'm directly comparing them I would say something like this:

 

TH900 has a very natural, euphonious sound that is great with most music.  It is detailed, but not as much as the LCD-3.  It soundstage is wide, though not quite as large as the LCD-3.  It is closed back though, which is of great benefit.  It is drastically more comfortable.  It doesn't have a detachable cable though.  And maybe most importantly, you can drive it with almost anything and still get good results.  It may be a little too sensitive in some ways though.

 

LCD3 is darker than the TH900, but more revealing (I consider this a wonderful anomaly).  Both headphones are forgiving though.  The LCD-3 is more picky regarding amplification and not nearly as comfortable.  It is also open back.  

 

When they are both amped to their best, sonically I think you're comparing a dark, but revealing and expressive sound-signature (LCD-3) to a euphonic yet smooth and sultry sound signature (TH900)

post #2441 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Thank you for your HD800 impressions.  I really have no reason to "upgrade" or "side grade" to the HD800 as the K501's do sound so natural and fluid.  Evaluating my options is all :)

 

 

It is easy to be blinded by the price-difference. The actual difference in sound quality between k501 and HD800 is not so big. And the difference between k701 and HD800 is even smaller wink.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Classical, vocal, acoustic and jazz (though that's my least listened to genre) are sublime on the K501's.  You are in for a treat.

 

 

I am so jealous he found a mint k501 for €70! smile.gif It is a steal. If they are in mint condition they are worth at least the double price.


Edited by muxamed - 1/18/13 at 11:02am
post #2442 of 5358
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by engelhaft View Post

Thanks for  your help here David.

 

I am just starting at this hobby, so far I have just listened some Shure IEMs(being the 420 the highest I gone with Shure), Sony MDR-EX1000 the M50 and my best IEM right now is a CIEM Frogbeats C4 so right now I just have a portable amp the RSA SR-71B. I would like to get the best sound quality on a full size headphone but I would take some time to get a desktop amp so would I be lossing to much if I chose the LCD3 with that source? is really that big the difference when you change from amp to amp using the LCD3? would you recommend better the TH900 if I do not have a really top quality dektop amp?

 

Sorry for the ton of questions jejeje, just trying to do some research before buying an expensive equipement bigsmile_face.gif


in your case, i would recommend the TH900 over the LCD-3, though the SR71B should be able to power the LCD-3 somewhat, it would not be ideal.  The TH900 is very sensitive, you may find yourself in the at about 8 oclock on the volume knob.

post #2443 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

It is easy to be blinded by the price-difference. The actual difference in sound quality between k501 and HD800 is not so big. And the difference between k701 and HD800 is even smaller wink.gif

 

 

 

I am so jealous he found a mint k501 for €70! smile.gif It is a steal. If they are in mint condition they are worth at least the double price.

 

If i don't like it , i will sell it to you for 150€ shipped biggrin.gif . But, unfortunately , i hope to keep it k701smile.gif

post #2444 of 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

 

If i don't like it , i will sell it to you for 150€ shipped biggrin.gif . But, unfortunately , i hope to keep it k701smile.gif

 

It's a deal. o2smile.gif

post #2445 of 5358
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

 

If i don't like it , i will sell it to you for 150€ shipped biggrin.gif . But, unfortunately , i hope to keep it k701smile.gif


LOL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)