or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 152

post #2266 of 5243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARIS View Post

 

Neo is out of my budget - but I'm thinking about balanced WA22 and single WA5-LE. Do the last would be significantly better for the extra costs for HD800? You wrote you have WA5 - how do you feel it with Sennheiser? And how is importante to upgrade to better tubes - or the installed ones are good enough?


I think the WA5 sounds excellent with the HD800, its an honest sound.  I think the Sofia Princess 300b tubes are nice, but I would live with the stock for a bit if you take that route.

post #2267 of 5243

Have you heard the Sennheiser HE60 ?

post #2268 of 5243
Thread Starter 

I have not, but that is on my list and I should be including it in the near future:)

post #2269 of 5243

Newbie saying hi, here. normal_smile%20.gif

 

Excellent and useful list, thank you! I'm actually currently considering the Ultrasone Signature Pro. Have you ever heard it to compare to the Edition 8? And if so would you ever consider adding it to this list? Some people seem to prefer the SP over the Ed 8.

post #2270 of 5243

you also wrote:

CABLE: The HD800's stock cable is a very finely-crafted cable. However, it is also user-removable. This makes installing an aftermarket cable a cinch.

 

Do you ever tried other aftermarket cables for HD800 and does it make any sense to buy them? maybe something particular?

post #2271 of 5243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levaix View Post

Newbie saying hi, here. normal_smile%20.gif

 

Excellent and useful list, thank you! I'm actually currently considering the Ultrasone Signature Pro. Have you ever heard it to compare to the Edition 8? And if so would you ever consider adding it to this list? Some people seem to prefer the SP over the Ed 8.

Thank you, I haven't heard the Sig pro, but I would consider adding it.  Not right away though. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARIS View Post

you also wrote:

CABLE: The HD800's stock cable is a very finely-crafted cable. However, it is also user-removable. This makes installing an aftermarket cable a cinch.

 

Do you ever tried other aftermarket cables for HD800 and does it make any sense to buy them? maybe something particular?

Yes, I use the APS V3 balanced, however as I am aware now APS is not responding to orders so I would look elsewhere.  The stock cable is pretty good though and it may not be worth immediately upgrading.

post #2272 of 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Thank you, I haven't heard the Sig pro, but I would consider adding it.  Not right away though. :)

 

 

I read a few review of the Ultrasone SP .  As you , they're very experienced reviewers and they consider The Sig pro as the best Ultrasone ever made ( better than all Edition series ) except ED10 ( which is more appreciated elsewhere than head-fi I think rolleyes.gif ) .  Considering that the SP ( and Sid DJ ) are less expensive than ed8 . SP could be te most valuable Ultrasone ?

 

Ultrasone fans and Sig pro owners are waiting for your review. ok we are less numerous and powerful than Hifiman or Sennheiser fanclub but we hope you won't disappoint us.  biggrin.gif   


Edited by Sorrodje - 1/9/13 at 12:53pm
post #2273 of 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Yes, I use the APS V3 balanced, however as I am aware now APS is not responding to orders so I would look elsewhere.  The stock cable is pretty good though and it may not be worth immediately upgrading.

 


Am I understand right that Wa22 + balanced cable approx equal in price with Wa5le with stock tubes and stock cable and the last option would be better choice in general? And that the updating tubes in future is better investments than upgrading cables?

post #2274 of 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

 

The Sig pro as the best Ultrasone ever made ( better than all Edition series ) except ED10

You mean this Edition 10?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

 

Can't say anything about phones but Tyll is hilarious smile.gif


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 1/9/13 at 1:48pm
post #2275 of 5243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARIS View Post

 


Am I understand right that Wa22 + balanced cable approx equal in price with Wa5le with stock tubes and stock cable and the last option would be better choice in general? And that the updating tubes in future is better investments than upgrading cables?

Having never used the WA22 at any length I really am not qualified to answer this.  I believe I used it once at a meet, but even then I am not positive.  I believe personally the Woo5LE is a better amp even with the stock tubes, but the Woo Audio Owners thread would definitely be a better place to inquire about how the two compete with one another, or even email Jack himself if you want to hear it from the designer:)

post #2276 of 5243
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

 

I read a few review of the Ultrasone SP .  As you , they're very experienced reviewers and they consider The Sig pro as the best Ultrasone ever made ( better than all Edition series ) except ED10 ( which is more appreciated elsewhere than head-fi I think rolleyes.gif ) .  Considering that the SP ( and Sid DJ ) are less expensive than ed8 . SP could be te most valuable Ultrasone ?

 

Ultrasone fans and Sig pro owners are waiting for your review. ok we are less numerous and powerful than Hifiman or Sennheiser fanclub but we hope you won't disappoint us.  biggrin.gif   

I will certainly consider!:)

post #2277 of 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post

 

Ultrasone fans and Sig pro owners are waiting for your review. ok we are less numerous and powerful than Hifiman or Sennheiser fanclub but we hope you won't disappoint us.  biggrin.gif   

 

No pressure though. tongue.gif

post #2278 of 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

No pressure though. tongue.gif

 

For sure  , no pressure . no , never.....


Edited by Sorrodje - 1/10/13 at 1:04pm
post #2279 of 5243
Thread Starter 

I tried ordering a Sony Qualia headband (small).  I figured changing the size could possibly help my issues with them.  I ordered it 3 weeks ago and after several hours of trying to speak to someone who knew something I was given a run-around and alas it was not to be.  If someone knows a way to reach Sony's Qualia department directly (and or has a small headband they're looking to part with) please feel free to PM me:)

post #2280 of 5243
Thread Starter 

Message to Edition 10 owners

 

Tonight, I broke out the Edition 10s for the first time since I reviewed them.  Put on some Beethoven (Takacs doing the 14th Qt).... started listening and the sound was "wrong".....after a few minutes I grew a bit impatient with how off the headphone sounded.  

It was then I remembered that I found the sound drastically changed (not improved, but completely changed) when I lowered the earcups AND moved the earcups backward so that the front section of the earpad was nearer to the front of my ear.  In other words the headphone is about 2/3 or 3/4 positioned backward and the earcups are lowered.  When I finally adjusted it to my liking, it sounds truly great.  This is coming right off an hour long session with the HE90.  The Edition 10 is not nearly as good, but it sounds good nonetheless and it is extremely sensitive to placement.  If you've never tried this type of placement before, try it!  It may sound odd to suggest because it actually ends up making the headphone brighter to wear it this way, but the sound feels more transparent.  As I move the headphones forward rather than backward, the sound becomes richer BUT somehow more awkward.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)