Nice to see that someone agrees with me on the O2s, the description "sonic sunglasses" it just spot on. The tone is wonderful to listen to but when using the SR-009s you just feel how everything gains air and presence.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 9/25/15 at 9:25am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 13post #181 of 558211/1/12 at 9:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 558211/1/12 at 9:11ampost #183 of 558211/1/12 at 9:11amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by grokit
16 months! Very well done indeed, this will be a reference for years to come
You have truly surpassed even yourself David, as I still associate you with another epic review from a few years past: your painstakingly detailed Front Row-based music server system for selecting iTunes music files with the Apple remote control.
Do you still use that system, most likely in a legacy configuration? It may still be possible to run it under Lion.
Sorry for the OT, and thanks again for this epic comparison; permantly bookmarked!
That system was a lot of fun to work on. I still have all my work saved, but when I started at headphones.com all my free time was tied up with other endeavors and I halted on that system. Essentially, I began this instead haha.
I use the MSB Universal Media Transport for now. I may opt to a server later on. To be honest, in the past 2 months I've been home a lot less and the iPod has become my main source all over again haha. I've been using the ES5 most because of the isolation benefit and it sounds great out of an iPod. I almost felt compelled to move it up a few spots, but I opted not to because when I side-by-sided them with everything a few months back while writing the core of the review, that's where I felt it belonged. But the ES5 right now is my main drag:)
Hopefully, in the upcoming months I'll have more time at home and go back to my normal routine:)post #184 of 558211/1/12 at 9:14ampost #185 of 558211/1/12 at 9:23amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by donunus
Best format i have seen. Better than separating frequencies this and that blah blah blah. This is like writing exactly how we feel... The Good parts, the bad, and the ones we are on the fence about. Simple yet Brilliant. The important parts were brilliantly picked IMO because I felt that it was exactly the same as my thoughts. The rating scale is also awesome since it is based purely on performance with only the sidenote of a+ on down for value rating.
This is probably my favorite headfi thread yet since the time I've been a member. On a sidenote... I have to listen to that DAC. waaaahhhh what a price LOL
Thank you! Very much appreciated wordsQuote:Originally Posted by Pianist
I notice this review take a while to load - too epic for the Internetz. lol
I agree about Westone 4. I heard them a few times and always came away impressed by their sound. Definitely one of the best IEMs out there, at least as far as universals go.
You have an interesting view on IEMs. I personally believe that IEMs can compete with full sized cans in almost all aspects, but to each their own. In particular though, I am curious why you ranked JH13 below HD600/650 and HE-500. So you find JH13 inferior to the latter three cans sound wise? How so?
Even though I never tried Westone ES5, I owned the ES3X and also found their treble to be overly recessed and also lacking resolution. I got lucky and was actually able to return them to the clinic I bought them from with almost a full refund (only $100 penalty). After my experience with the ES3X I don't think I will ever get customs again, at least not multi driver - I just don't think they are worth it over universals. I also find multi driver balanced armature based IEMs noticeably lacking in coherence compared to good single drivers. I wonder if you experienced similar problems with multi driver BAs.
My view on IEMs is something of a paradox because I think for the convenience they offer, they are incomparable and I end up using them at least 25% of the time for this reason. Probably right now it's more like 75% in fact.
But when I'm thinking about high resolution and realistic sound.... in the same way that speakers can emulate acoustic sound in a more realistic manner than headphones, headphones can emulate acoustic sound with more realism than IEMs. It has to do with the way sound and space work together. However, unlike speakers, the size, shape and other variables of the room doesn't matter. I'd like to say headphones are a happy medium, but that's up to interpretation:)
I think the JH13, JH16, UE10 and ES5 are all phenomenal offerings. But at the same time, there's just something natural about a full-size headphone that, for me, in ears don't have. If you had asked me several years back, I may not have said this. But after a lot of time and comparisons of headphones like SR-009 and R10s and such, I can't help several properties headphones have, like a sense of space and air.post #186 of 558211/1/12 at 9:26amThread Starter
By the way, everyone....I am reading all of your posts. Even though I won't be saying an individual thank you to everyone, please know that I really truly appreciate the kind words. It makes me happy to know this work has been appreciated as much as it seems to be!post #187 of 558211/1/12 at 9:27am
Excellent work. I find your reviews honest and succinct. It is refreshing to see that others out there in the community are not afraid to post negative results from very expensive headphones. There are some great deals in the A+ category and I almost agree with all of your choices.
Thanks for your hard work!post #188 of 558211/1/12 at 9:45am
Not only is this review substantial, but it is also beautifully organized and very well-written.
I appreciate the focus on the virtues of, not only transparency and technical excellence, but also sheer musicality as well. We all want to hear from an experienced listener: Does the product engage you with the music, and make you want to listen more? And ideally forget about the medium-- as far as possible, does it disappear?
Another fine aspect of this review is that for me, and probably for a lot of folks, it enables a re-appreciation of the headphones already in the stable. I appreciate the virtues of my headphones more now. Thank you!post #189 of 558211/1/12 at 10:24ampost #190 of 558211/1/12 at 10:26ampost #191 of 558211/1/12 at 10:28am
Wow David - that's an amazing post! I've been looking out for it for a while and am thrilled to see its appearance. I love it. I've just dipped into it and look forward to exploring it some more. Truly well done - thank you for creating it.
I agree with you about the HD 600 being such an awesome value/performance headphone. I love the HD 600 and always enjoy it. The first time I heard the Orpheus, the owner, who also had the HD 600 said 'you can't go wrong with the HD 600,' and I totally I agree with that.
I saw that you were a session musician, David - what kind of work did you do? (I'm a musician, too - some of my performances are on my YT channel - www.youtube.com/windsordrums)
Windsorpost #192 of 558211/1/12 at 10:29am
Thank you very much David for your enoumous work! Your Massive Quality Collection is Fantastic! Thanks again for all the work you have done to make this review. It helps me to choose the headphone I can afford a lot. :Dpost #193 of 558211/1/12 at 10:30ampost #194 of 558211/1/12 at 10:49am
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 47 seconds ago
- › WTB: Balanced cable for Audioquest Nighthawk 1 minute ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 2 minutes ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 2 minutes ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 3 minutes ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 3 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear