Nice to see that someone agrees with me on the O2s, the description "sonic sunglasses" it just spot on. The tone is wonderful to listen to but when using the SR-009s you just feel how everything gains air and presence.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/26/15
The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone...
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these made in China headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 13post #181 of 524811/1/12 at 9:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 524811/1/12 at 9:11ampost #183 of 524811/1/12 at 9:11amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by grokit
16 months! Very well done indeed, this will be a reference for years to come
You have truly surpassed even yourself David, as I still associate you with another epic review from a few years past: your painstakingly detailed Front Row-based music server system for selecting iTunes music files with the Apple remote control.
Do you still use that system, most likely in a legacy configuration? It may still be possible to run it under Lion.
Sorry for the OT, and thanks again for this epic comparison; permantly bookmarked!
That system was a lot of fun to work on. I still have all my work saved, but when I started at headphones.com all my free time was tied up with other endeavors and I halted on that system. Essentially, I began this instead haha.
I use the MSB Universal Media Transport for now. I may opt to a server later on. To be honest, in the past 2 months I've been home a lot less and the iPod has become my main source all over again haha. I've been using the ES5 most because of the isolation benefit and it sounds great out of an iPod. I almost felt compelled to move it up a few spots, but I opted not to because when I side-by-sided them with everything a few months back while writing the core of the review, that's where I felt it belonged. But the ES5 right now is my main drag:)
Hopefully, in the upcoming months I'll have more time at home and go back to my normal routine:)post #184 of 524811/1/12 at 9:14ampost #185 of 524811/1/12 at 9:23amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by donunus
Best format i have seen. Better than separating frequencies this and that blah blah blah. This is like writing exactly how we feel... The Good parts, the bad, and the ones we are on the fence about. Simple yet Brilliant. The important parts were brilliantly picked IMO because I felt that it was exactly the same as my thoughts. The rating scale is also awesome since it is based purely on performance with only the sidenote of a+ on down for value rating.
This is probably my favorite headfi thread yet since the time I've been a member. On a sidenote... I have to listen to that DAC. waaaahhhh what a price LOL
Thank you! Very much appreciated wordsQuote:Originally Posted by Pianist
I notice this review take a while to load - too epic for the Internetz. lol
I agree about Westone 4. I heard them a few times and always came away impressed by their sound. Definitely one of the best IEMs out there, at least as far as universals go.
You have an interesting view on IEMs. I personally believe that IEMs can compete with full sized cans in almost all aspects, but to each their own. In particular though, I am curious why you ranked JH13 below HD600/650 and HE-500. So you find JH13 inferior to the latter three cans sound wise? How so?
Even though I never tried Westone ES5, I owned the ES3X and also found their treble to be overly recessed and also lacking resolution. I got lucky and was actually able to return them to the clinic I bought them from with almost a full refund (only $100 penalty). After my experience with the ES3X I don't think I will ever get customs again, at least not multi driver - I just don't think they are worth it over universals. I also find multi driver balanced armature based IEMs noticeably lacking in coherence compared to good single drivers. I wonder if you experienced similar problems with multi driver BAs.
My view on IEMs is something of a paradox because I think for the convenience they offer, they are incomparable and I end up using them at least 25% of the time for this reason. Probably right now it's more like 75% in fact.
But when I'm thinking about high resolution and realistic sound.... in the same way that speakers can emulate acoustic sound in a more realistic manner than headphones, headphones can emulate acoustic sound with more realism than IEMs. It has to do with the way sound and space work together. However, unlike speakers, the size, shape and other variables of the room doesn't matter. I'd like to say headphones are a happy medium, but that's up to interpretation:)
I think the JH13, JH16, UE10 and ES5 are all phenomenal offerings. But at the same time, there's just something natural about a full-size headphone that, for me, in ears don't have. If you had asked me several years back, I may not have said this. But after a lot of time and comparisons of headphones like SR-009 and R10s and such, I can't help several properties headphones have, like a sense of space and air.post #186 of 524811/1/12 at 9:26amThread Starter
By the way, everyone....I am reading all of your posts. Even though I won't be saying an individual thank you to everyone, please know that I really truly appreciate the kind words. It makes me happy to know this work has been appreciated as much as it seems to be!post #187 of 524811/1/12 at 9:27am
Excellent work. I find your reviews honest and succinct. It is refreshing to see that others out there in the community are not afraid to post negative results from very expensive headphones. There are some great deals in the A+ category and I almost agree with all of your choices.
Thanks for your hard work!post #188 of 524811/1/12 at 9:45am
Not only is this review substantial, but it is also beautifully organized and very well-written.
I appreciate the focus on the virtues of, not only transparency and technical excellence, but also sheer musicality as well. We all want to hear from an experienced listener: Does the product engage you with the music, and make you want to listen more? And ideally forget about the medium-- as far as possible, does it disappear?
Another fine aspect of this review is that for me, and probably for a lot of folks, it enables a re-appreciation of the headphones already in the stable. I appreciate the virtues of my headphones more now. Thank you!post #189 of 524811/1/12 at 10:24ampost #190 of 524811/1/12 at 10:26ampost #191 of 524811/1/12 at 10:28am
Wow David - that's an amazing post! I've been looking out for it for a while and am thrilled to see its appearance. I love it. I've just dipped into it and look forward to exploring it some more. Truly well done - thank you for creating it.
I agree with you about the HD 600 being such an awesome value/performance headphone. I love the HD 600 and always enjoy it. The first time I heard the Orpheus, the owner, who also had the HD 600 said 'you can't go wrong with the HD 600,' and I totally I agree with that.
I saw that you were a session musician, David - what kind of work did you do? (I'm a musician, too - some of my performances are on my YT channel - www.youtube.com/windsordrums)
Windsorpost #192 of 524811/1/12 at 10:29am
Thank you very much David for your enoumous work! Your Massive Quality Collection is Fantastic! Thanks again for all the work you have done to make this review. It helps me to choose the headphone I can afford a lot. :Dpost #193 of 524811/1/12 at 10:30ampost #194 of 524811/1/12 at 10:49am
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 17 seconds ago
- › sony mdr 1a- should i use for working out? 22 seconds ago
- › Headphones and Earbuds 33 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears 43 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 4 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3