Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 3/10/15
$250 (got mine 10% off from a promo code on theheadphonelist.com but it was only valid for 2014) - 2 Balanced armature Drivers - 1 Bass Driver - 1 High Frequency Driver - 1 sound bore -...
Intro There are very few headphones which have survived three decades and still remain as the main workhorse for many sound professionals around the world. The Sony MDR-7506 started out as...
This is not a review, just my simple impression of Grado SR80e. I purchased SR80e and listened to them... what a hell is going on...lol..at this price point...sounds great...I am now a fan boy of...
Aune B1 portable headphone amplifier Review [[SPOILER]] Intro: Focusing on achieving high quality sound at a competitive price point while utilizing premium materials and uniquely eye-catching...
Ok i'll just jump straight to the point, should you buy this? Absolutely Not . Here's why; - It's a screen-less shuffle style player, obviously not intended to compete with the screened DAP...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 12post #166 of 516511/1/12 at 7:52am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 516511/1/12 at 7:53amEPIC EPIC EPIC. Now this is a review thread like I've never seen it before. Clear and direct to the point for each headphone, the intro was awesome and the descriptions are pretty spot on among the cans that I have heard in the list making me almost trust the whole thing completely. A rare thing nowadays with all these reviews all over the place. Wow just Wowpost #168 of 516511/1/12 at 7:56ampost #169 of 516511/1/12 at 7:58ampost #170 of 516511/1/12 at 8:00amThread Starter
Thanks so much everyone!!! I have been trying to respond to everyone by using the "Rep" but I just found out that there's a limit to how much you can rep.
So, firstly thank you for the compliments!! :) I am humbled! I honestly didn't know if the format was going to work on head-fi and I'm relieved it did!!
I do plan on updating it, but probably not for a while. I feel like I can finally breathe LOL
Regarding the KAM HP1, its more than possible that the chasis is a generic used by many brands. I would be surprised to know that they are identical to other headphones, but anything is possible. Either way, they are surely the least known of the bunch, and I threw it in the mix because I happened on them by chance and thought they stood up nicely for the price. If the same sound was available for $40, then I would give that headphone an A+ for value! Maybe I'll be able to clarify some day soon.post #171 of 516511/1/12 at 8:02am
Absolutely perfect. Like others have written, I think you summarized the characteristics of those headphones and IEMs very well.
I wonder how PurpleAngel is enjoying the DT880 he got from me. Your descriptions are so spot on that it makes me remember the DT880 all over again.post #172 of 516511/1/12 at 8:11am
This was an incredible post (probably in contention for the most important post on head-fi of all time) and I am inspired to buy back into the headphone game. Even though speakers are really cool, I miss my HE-6...
What do I get, though? Almost every full-size in your top 30 would be a worthy choice!
Thank you, I have a lot to consider now :)
Edited by Timestretch - 11/1/12 at 8:13ampost #173 of 516511/1/12 at 8:15am
what a review.. Truly EPIC..
nice info and introduction, great details on the gear you use and great pic..
really appreciate the hardwork of making this review
keep up the great work bro :)
post #174 of 516511/1/12 at 8:16amQuote:
Best format i have seen. Better than separating frequencies this and that blah blah blah. This is like writing exactly how we feel... The Good parts, the bad, and the ones we are on the fence about. Simple yet Brilliant. The important parts were brilliantly picked IMO because I felt that it was exactly the same as my thoughts. The rating scale is also awesome since it is based purely on performance with only the sidenote of a+ on down for value rating.
This is probably my favorite headfi thread yet since the time I've been a member. On a sidenote... I have to listen to that DAC. waaaahhhh what a price LOLpost #175 of 516511/1/12 at 8:26ampost #176 of 516511/1/12 at 8:38ampost #177 of 516511/1/12 at 8:55ampost #178 of 516511/1/12 at 8:56am
I notice this review take a while to load - too epic for the Internetz. lol
I agree about Westone 4. I heard them a few times and always came away impressed by their sound. Definitely one of the best IEMs out there, at least as far as universals go.
You have an interesting view on IEMs. I personally believe that IEMs can compete with full sized cans in almost all aspects, but to each their own. In particular though, I am curious why you ranked JH13 below HD600/650 and HE-500. So you find JH13 inferior to the latter three cans sound wise? How so?
Even though I never tried Westone ES5, I owned the ES3X and also found their treble to be overly recessed and also lacking resolution. I got lucky and was actually able to return them to the clinic I bought them from with almost a full refund (only $100 penalty). After my experience with the ES3X I don't think I will ever get customs again, at least not multi driver - I just don't think they are worth it over universals. I also find multi driver balanced armature based IEMs noticeably lacking in coherence compared to good single drivers. I wonder if you experienced similar problems with multi driver BAs.post #179 of 516511/1/12 at 9:00ampost #180 of 516511/1/12 at 9:03am
IMO the part that makes this review stand out from other "summit-fi headphones" reviews is not the scale, but the fact that David accounted for and quantified properties like euphany/smoothness of sound.
That is a pretty multimodal aspect of headphone SQ that combines technicalities and colourations into an overall very important quality of great headphones, but most reviewers have shied away from it because it is so abstract compared to things like extension or soundstage.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 15 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 18 seconds ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ignore This Thread 4 minutes ago
- › How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality? 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 6 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2