Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 9/25/15 at 9:25am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Specification Ø Digital Input ：USB, Coaxial, PCM 44.1K-192K/16-24bit Ø DAC Chip ：WM8740 Ø Digital Output：Standard Coaxial Ø USB input required OS：Win...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out Meze's entry level product, the 11 Neo. Morpheus would be so proud. While they've been around for a while now Meze really found their stride...
Hifiman MegaMini Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Hifiman and Campfire Audio Vega Hifiman MegaMini...
I recently received the JLab Epic2 Bluetooth headphones for review. Some of the new features of the Epic2 are the upgrade from ipx4 to ipx5 to improve resistance to sweat and water. They have...
It would of gotten a 5 star rating, if it wasn't so expensive. So I got to listen to the MOJO yesterday through the JVC SZ1000. Total different animal of an amp. Nice clean subbass, while...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 12post #166 of 557411/1/12 at 7:52am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 557411/1/12 at 7:53amEPIC EPIC EPIC. Now this is a review thread like I've never seen it before. Clear and direct to the point for each headphone, the intro was awesome and the descriptions are pretty spot on among the cans that I have heard in the list making me almost trust the whole thing completely. A rare thing nowadays with all these reviews all over the place. Wow just Wowpost #168 of 557411/1/12 at 7:56ampost #169 of 557411/1/12 at 7:58ampost #170 of 557411/1/12 at 8:00amThread Starter
Thanks so much everyone!!! I have been trying to respond to everyone by using the "Rep" but I just found out that there's a limit to how much you can rep.
So, firstly thank you for the compliments!! :) I am humbled! I honestly didn't know if the format was going to work on head-fi and I'm relieved it did!!
I do plan on updating it, but probably not for a while. I feel like I can finally breathe LOL
Regarding the KAM HP1, its more than possible that the chasis is a generic used by many brands. I would be surprised to know that they are identical to other headphones, but anything is possible. Either way, they are surely the least known of the bunch, and I threw it in the mix because I happened on them by chance and thought they stood up nicely for the price. If the same sound was available for $40, then I would give that headphone an A+ for value! Maybe I'll be able to clarify some day soon.post #171 of 557411/1/12 at 8:02am
Absolutely perfect. Like others have written, I think you summarized the characteristics of those headphones and IEMs very well.
I wonder how PurpleAngel is enjoying the DT880 he got from me. Your descriptions are so spot on that it makes me remember the DT880 all over again.post #172 of 557411/1/12 at 8:11am
This was an incredible post (probably in contention for the most important post on head-fi of all time) and I am inspired to buy back into the headphone game. Even though speakers are really cool, I miss my HE-6...
What do I get, though? Almost every full-size in your top 30 would be a worthy choice!
Thank you, I have a lot to consider now :)
Edited by Timestretch - 11/1/12 at 8:13ampost #173 of 557411/1/12 at 8:15am
what a review.. Truly EPIC..
nice info and introduction, great details on the gear you use and great pic..
really appreciate the hardwork of making this review
keep up the great work bro :)
post #174 of 557411/1/12 at 8:16amQuote:
Best format i have seen. Better than separating frequencies this and that blah blah blah. This is like writing exactly how we feel... The Good parts, the bad, and the ones we are on the fence about. Simple yet Brilliant. The important parts were brilliantly picked IMO because I felt that it was exactly the same as my thoughts. The rating scale is also awesome since it is based purely on performance with only the sidenote of a+ on down for value rating.
This is probably my favorite headfi thread yet since the time I've been a member. On a sidenote... I have to listen to that DAC. waaaahhhh what a price LOLpost #175 of 557411/1/12 at 8:26ampost #176 of 557411/1/12 at 8:38ampost #177 of 557411/1/12 at 8:55ampost #178 of 557411/1/12 at 8:56am
I notice this review take a while to load - too epic for the Internetz. lol
I agree about Westone 4. I heard them a few times and always came away impressed by their sound. Definitely one of the best IEMs out there, at least as far as universals go.
You have an interesting view on IEMs. I personally believe that IEMs can compete with full sized cans in almost all aspects, but to each their own. In particular though, I am curious why you ranked JH13 below HD600/650 and HE-500. So you find JH13 inferior to the latter three cans sound wise? How so?
Even though I never tried Westone ES5, I owned the ES3X and also found their treble to be overly recessed and also lacking resolution. I got lucky and was actually able to return them to the clinic I bought them from with almost a full refund (only $100 penalty). After my experience with the ES3X I don't think I will ever get customs again, at least not multi driver - I just don't think they are worth it over universals. I also find multi driver balanced armature based IEMs noticeably lacking in coherence compared to good single drivers. I wonder if you experienced similar problems with multi driver BAs.post #179 of 557411/1/12 at 9:00ampost #180 of 557411/1/12 at 9:03am
IMO the part that makes this review stand out from other "summit-fi headphones" reviews is not the scale, but the fact that David accounted for and quantified properties like euphany/smoothness of sound.
That is a pretty multimodal aspect of headphone SQ that combines technicalities and colourations into an overall very important quality of great headphones, but most reviewers have shied away from it because it is so abstract compared to things like extension or soundstage.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 53 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Shure se215 vs se846 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 9 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 10 minutes ago
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by ExpatinJapan
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear