Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 74

post #1096 of 5128

My favourite is also the HE-90 (i do not own confused_face.gif)

But if anyone needs a christmas-present...

#1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300803280434?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D300803280434%26_rdc%3D1

#2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300814105569?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D300814105569%26_rdc%3D1

 

 

Sennheiser might bring a follower for the HE-90 in about 2 years - maybe cheaper L3000.gif(price is unknown - one modell man can buy, one modell with unlimited pricepoint)

 

AKG will NOT bring a follower of the K1000 (confirmed)

post #1097 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Thank you

 

I prefer the Westone 4 over all.  Though the PFE 232 has more customization available to it and ultimately a bit more detail (when using the gray filters).  The Westone 4 has more warmth, but is not a dark earphone.  

 

 

yes I agree with you, Westone 4 is better than PFE 232 for long time listening :-)

post #1098 of 5128

Amazing review in depth and clarity. Damn, I'm going to be spending a lot of money soon! =]
 

post #1099 of 5128
I thought that I will never read the equivalent of Darthnut's legendary review. I am glad to be proven wrong. What he did for depth of review, you matched with width. Thank you for the incredible dedication and generosity!
post #1100 of 5128

My wallet is very worried thanks to threads like this one.  It's not long ago that I declared myself a 'mid-fi' guy who would never want to spend megabucks, and now I'm seriously considering a 3,000 EUR rig (LCD-2 or HE-500, Violectric V200 and V800).  What's even more worrying is that thanks to all the people here who spend way more than I ever could, I no longer consider that to be a lavish setup!  

post #1101 of 5128

*Clap Clap Clap*

 

That was epic. Even though my headphone journey ended a while ago, I still read the whole thing. Thank you for all the hard work and sharing so openly with everyone. 

 

There are many things I agree with in your reviews, although overall I find that my taste is closer to Tyll's. Generally, I find that you're maybe a bit too forgiving of excessive bass and treble. Common peaks around 10KHz doesn't seem to bother you as much, as well as the common mid-bass hump around 125Hz. For me, they mess too much with the clarity of instruments like double-bass in jazz, or the naturalness of cymbals.

 

I'm curious about something: I don't know if this has been asked already, but is performing as a musician and being an audio engineering your full-time job? As a fellow audio/music guy (composer, songwriter), we all know that music doesn't pay that well unless you are extremely famous at what you do (be it as a performer, creator, or engineer). Or are you independently wealthy (stocks, real estate, inheritance)? All that gear costs a mind-boggling amount of money, and if this question haven't been asked, I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. 

post #1102 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga3mata View Post

I thought that I will never read the equivalent of Darthnut's legendary review. I am glad to be proven wrong. What he did for depth of review, you matched with width. Thank you for the incredible dedication and generosity!

I never saw Darthnut's review.  But thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

My wallet is very worried thanks to threads like this one.  It's not long ago that I declared myself a 'mid-fi' guy who would never want to spend megabucks, and now I'm seriously considering a 3,000 EUR rig (LCD-2 or HE-500, Violectric V200 and V800).  What's even more worrying is that thanks to all the people here who spend way more than I ever could, I no longer consider that to be a lavish setup!  

Remember, you don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy the music.  I sincerely believe that a lot of what drove me to go this far was this review.  It meant a lot to me to contribute the review itself.  I'm doubtful that the majority of my personal listening time will involve more than a dozen headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post

*Clap Clap Clap*

 

That was epic. Even though my headphone journey ended a while ago, I still read the whole thing. Thank you for all the hard work and sharing so openly with everyone. 

 

There are many things I agree with in your reviews, although overall I find that my taste is closer to Tyll's. Generally, I find that you're maybe a bit too forgiving of excessive bass and treble. Common peaks around 10KHz doesn't seem to bother you as much, as well as the common mid-bass hump around 125Hz. For me, they mess too much with the clarity of instruments like double-bass in jazz, or the naturalness of cymbals.

 

I'm curious about something: I don't know if this has been asked already, but is performing as a musician and being an audio engineering your full-time job? As a fellow audio/music guy (composer, songwriter), we all know that music doesn't pay that well unless you are extremely famous at what you do (be it as a performer, creator, or engineer). Or are you independently wealthy (stocks, real estate, inheritance)? All that gear costs a mind-boggling amount of money, and if this question haven't been asked, I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. 

a lot of people have asked about the $ thing:)  I answered it vaguely early on in the thread, but I'll reiterate here in more detail...

 

In the early 2000s I did a lot of session work with a lot of established artists.  I was more involved on the performance side than the engineering side, but I do both.  About 5 years ago, I found that I started to experience some issues with my hand and I started to do less performance and more engineering.  Presently, I am the head reviewer at headphones.com and I do engineering on the side.  I'm working on an album of original material, but that's not intended to go anywhere:D


Edited by DavidMahler - 11/20/12 at 8:15am
post #1103 of 5128

This thread is Epic!  Subscribed!
 

post #1104 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

This thread is Epic!  Subscribed!
 

 

Epic Indeed!

 

Anyone ever seen the "Epic Rap Battles of History" on Youtube by any chance?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_1B0w7Hzc

 

This helped me make my decision on Nov 6, 2012. wink.gif

post #1105 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post

 

Epic Indeed!

 

Anyone ever seen the "Epic Rap Battles of History" on Youtube by any chance?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_1B0w7Hzc

 

This helped me make my decision on Nov 6, 2012. wink.gif

so you voted for Lincoln? :)

post #1106 of 5128

tl;dr

is this a downloadable document? or are things added on as time goes by?

post #1107 of 5128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dMuGeN View Post

tl;dr

is this a downloadable document? or are things added on as time goes by?

it will be expanding.  there's a tl;dr section btw http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared#user_TLDR

post #1108 of 5128
Hi David, here is the link. You will get a taste of how I felt after reading your post....stupendous!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/40313/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership
post #1109 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

so you voted for Lincoln? smily_headphones1.gif
LOL
My vote went to the American Bald Eagle. wink.gif

BTW, your review is really impressive.
If u ever run for "President" of Head-Fi, u've got my vote! smily_headphones1.gif
post #1110 of 5128
Impressive thread, truly enjoyable read. Thank you. Now, can we get a battle for headphone amps? :P
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)