Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 62

post #916 of 4981
Thread Starter 

Yes I have, although with a different amp than the one which I pair with the HE-6.  The reason is that the HE-6 needs a lot more power.

 

I think the HE-6 is an upgrade sonically even when the HE-500 is paired in balanced mode.  How much of an upgrade I'm not sure.  The HE-6 is almost like more transparent version of the HE-500,  They are not all that dissimilar.

post #917 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

If the HD650 sells for less than the 600 where you are, I would say the HD650 is a better value, however if the price is below $400 USD for both models, I would give them both an A+ for value.

 

For 340USD (HD650) and 317USD (HD600) here in the Czech republic :-)

post #918 of 4981
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHOE View Post

 

For 340USD (HD650) and 317USD (HD600) here in the Czech republic :-)

That's great!  Obviously, use my USD prices as reference but nothing regarding the price is carved in stone.  If you can get the same headphone for cheaper than I advertize in new condition, my value rating would likely go up.

post #919 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terja View Post

David - question for you. Have you tried the Hifiman HE-500 in balanced mode? I'm still trying to figure out how much of a gap exists between an HE-500 and HE-6 with both played in balanced mode with an HE-6 capable amp. With that comparative background would you still consider the move to an HE-6 a significant upgrade. I'm speaking strictly of sound quality.

I run my HE-500s balanced (Moon Silver Dragon/Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors). Awesome: natural, transparent controlled bass, sweet/extended highs, no fatigue, no piercing upper mids, lots of space and depth and layering, resonant piano. I wouldn't change a thing. I would think these were super-expensive phones if I didn't know better.

I have no personal anxiety that the HE6s might be better, as I am amazed with the 500s. Ignore the low price and try these with a good headphone amp.

The HE500s may be the greatest bargain in the audio world ever. I used to own R10s, I have 009s, and the sound I get from the HE500s is on par with these.

And thanks David, as it was your write-up that got me to try them.


Edited by rgs9200m - 11/15/12 at 8:30am
post #920 of 4981
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I run my HE-500s balanced (Moon Silver Dragon/Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors). Awesome: natural, transparent controlled bass, sweet/extended highs, no fatigue, no piercing upper mids, lots of space and depth and layering, resonant piano. I wouldn't change a thing. I would think these were super-expensive phones if I didn't know better.

I have no personal anxiety that the HE6s might be better, as I am amazed with the 500s. Ignore the low price and try these with a good headphone amp.

The HE500s may be the greatest bargain in the audio world ever. I used to own R10s, I have 009s, and the sound I get from the HE500s is on par with these.

And thanks David, as it was your write-up that got me to try them.

They really are great! I'm glad my review served as motivation to try them!:)

post #921 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Yes I have, although with a different amp than the one which I pair with the HE-6.  The reason is that the HE-6 needs a lot more power.

 

I think the HE-6 is an upgrade sonically even when the HE-500 is paired in balanced mode.  How much of an upgrade I'm not sure.  The HE-6 is almost like more transparent version of the HE-500,  They are not all that dissimilar.

 

 

I agree with this.  Through the HE-5LE in the mix, they are closer to the HE-500 than the HE-6 is. IMO

post #922 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I run my HE-500s balanced (Moon Silver Dragon/Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors). Awesome: natural, transparent controlled bass, sweet/extended highs, no fatigue, no piercing upper mids, lots of space and depth and layering, resonant piano. I wouldn't change a thing. I would think these were super-expensive phones if I didn't know better.
I have no personal anxiety that the HE6s might be better, as I am amazed with the 500s. Ignore the low price and try these with a good headphone amp.
The HE500s may be the greatest bargain in the audio world ever. I used to own R10s, I have 009s, and the sound I get from the HE500s is on par with these.
And thanks David, as it was your write-up that got me to try them.

Which amp u use as balanced on ur he500 if i may ask?
post #923 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

They really are great! I'm glad my review served as motivation to try them!smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah they are wonderfull..i use them with my 337...
post #924 of 4981

Both a Pinnacle and a Rudistor RP010B. Both are great.

Yep, I know these are high end amps, but relative to other phones, the HE500s are far better than anything in their price range and on par with flagships, in some ways better.

(E.g,, much better than HD800s.)

They are addictive to me.


Edited by rgs9200m - 11/15/12 at 9:48am
post #925 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Both a Pinnacle and a Rudistor RP010B. Both are great.

 

You realize these amps are 10x and 20x more expensive than the headphones, right...

post #926 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

You realize these amps are 10x and 20x more expensive than the headphones, right...

The amp makes the phone, a sorry fact of life I hate to say, So no free lunch.

But my point is that the HE500s scale up, as it greatness in, greatness out.

But I'm sure with phones this good there is some sort of synergy in a less expensive amp that someone has found.

post #927 of 4981
Thread Starter 

The HE-500 sounds great with the 307a amp I have (which is largely similar to the Pinnacle)

post #928 of 4981
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

The amp makes the phone, a sorry fact of life I hate to say, So no free lunch.
But my point is that the HE500s scale up, as it greatness in, greatness out.
But I'm sure with phones this good there is some sort of synergy in a less expensive amp that someone has found.
+1 source and amp makes or breaks a phone..and no.. A good amp doesnt need to to expensive...u can get good ones for the he500 for around 700 mark..from the likes of lafiro/ darkvoice, shiit or yulond and some well known other brands like audio gd..
post #929 of 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


+1 source and amp makes or breaks a phone..and no.. A good amp doesnt need to to expensive...u can get good ones for the he500 for around 700 mark..from the likes of lafiro/ darkvoice, shiit or yulond and some well known other brands like audio gd..

 

 

You can get this one as well for under $200  This is a Head Fi steal..biggrin.gif

 

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

post #930 of 4981

Good points on amps. I actually get nice musically satisfying results on my old Headroom Max (original version) that I bought in 1999, a classic that I still have and I thank Tyll for.

I think used ones show up for a few hundred bucks sometimes.

I don't know why Headroom amps get ignored here, they really hold their own when I try them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)