Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 39

post #571 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

my apologies if i wasn't clear,  i was speaking specifically regards to classical music, as that was the question at hand.  However, the W3000ANV is very good also, and doesn't perform poorly with classical.  The DT 660 by comparison is so affordable too, which makes it very compelling to me.

 

 

Got'cha

post #572 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

my apologies if i wasn't clear,  i was speaking specifically regards to classical music, as that was the question at hand.  However, the W3000ANV is very good also, and doesn't perform poorly with classical.  The DT 660 by comparison is so affordable too, which makes it very compelling to me.

 

Hi David,Any chance to answer post 554, please, I d very much appreciate it.

 

As of now, Im decided for the HE-500, as a complement for the Pro 900 (I think adding these to the review wouldnt be a bad idea either! :-))

 

Thanks, best regards, Luke

post #573 of 4940
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Hi David,

 

A great review as well as an excellent addition to this excellent website :)

 

Also, I was  wondering if you prefered the HE-500 or LCD-2 and why?

 

I know they are very different and I ve read many things about them, but just wanted to know your opinion :)

 

Thanks!

 

Best regards, Luke

Hi Luke, sorry I missed this one:)

Message to all: If i miss other inquiries, please feel free to re-post, I have attempted to answer everything, but I sometimes miss a few.

 

They are both excellent headphones.  If you prefer a darker tonality, the LCD-2 is going to be better for you I think.  Please keep in mind that I have only used the revision 1 version in my evaluation.  The general consensus is that the Revision 2 is superior, and perhaps less dark.  While I don't prefer a darker tonality necessarily, I find the LCD-2's tonality to be more transparent than the HE-500.  It's a quality that's difficult to quantify in words.  But you will notice transparency is ranked higher on the LCD-2's list of strengths.  I did these things strategically to insinuate how much of an impact each quality had with regard to my ranking.

 

My ranking of the headphones are meant to imply my preferences with regard to performance.  By the nature that the LCD-2 is ranked in front of the HE-500, one can conclude that in a basic comparison (avoiding all distinctions), I prefer the LCD-2. The HE-500 sounds more neutral to me than the LCD-2, and therefore has its own merits which should not dissuade someone from an HE-500 purchase in favor of the LCD-2.


Edited by DavidMahler - 11/5/12 at 12:58pm
post #574 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Hi Luke, sorry I missed this one:)

Message to all: If i miss other inquiries, please feel free to re-post, I have attempted to answer everything, but I sometimes miss a few.

 

They are both excellent headphones.  If you prefer a darker tonality, the LCD-2 is going to be better for you I think.  Please keep in mind that I have only used the revision 1 version in my evaluation.  The general consensus is that the Revision 2 is superior, and perhaps less dark.  While I don't prefer a darker tonality necessarily, I find the LCD-2's tonality to be more transparent than the HE-500.  It's a quality that's difficult to quantify in words.  But you will notice transparency is ranked higher on the LCD-2's list of strengths.  I did these things strategically to insinuate how much of an impact each quality had with regard to my ranking.

 

My ranking of the headphones are meant to imply my preferences with regard to performance.  By the nature that the LCD-2 is ranked in front of the HE-500, one can conclude that in a basic comparison (avoiding all distinctions), I prefer the LCD-2. The HE-500 sounds more neutral to me than the LCD-2, and therefore has its own merits which should not dissuade someone from an HE-500 purchase in favor of the LCD-2.

 

Ok thanks David, I will get the HE-500 anyways :D

 

Because of a few things mainly

- To complement the Pro 900 (Im sick of it, I have to admit, so I think a less bassy presentation is in place)

- Im on a budget 

- It is better suitable for my fast paced pop songs (or so I was told, by extensive evaluation of my somgs, my thanks goes to preproman for that)

- Im sure I will enjoy them thoroughly as a great all-rounder, and will prove to be a substantial upgrade as well

- I will use them with a speaker amp, that might improve things a bit further :)

 

Still your opinion is very valuable and atleast I have another headphone to consider in the future :)

 

Best regards, Luke

post #575 of 4940

Keep this thread going guys!

 

It is not just a great review, it is also a great thread for those of you, looking for advice :)


Edited by conquerator2 - 11/5/12 at 1:12pm
post #576 of 4940

wow, this thread grew quickly
 

post #577 of 4940

Sennheiser USA posted a link to this thread on their facebook page!

post #578 of 4940
Just read. Impressed.
Thank you very much.

S3 DLJ4+Siyah1.7rc1 Earsonics SM3
post #579 of 4940
MDR-1R is a flagship i believe (z1000 is discontinued i think), fancy it David?
post #580 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

 


 

image 1: 

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/KE0WZBsQUO/

 


Image 2:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/2Loji2TFt/

 

some people have asked me what the wood section is underneath the right side of the display section.  It is an isolation chamber with flip-top door for hard drives, if and when I will resume using a computer or server.

 

Thanks!

post #581 of 4940
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroid View Post

MDR-1R is a flagship i believe (z1000 is discontinued i think), fancy it David?

I know Jude thinks highly of the MDR-1R.  Ultimately, I'd like to check it out.  I don't know that it will be the next headphone added though, but certainly would be interested.

post #582 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

The LCD-2 sounds good jacked into any hole. You could probably plug your backside and get a sense of why their fans are so vocal.

 

The HD800 requires a bit more effort. As others have found, the harsh and grating upper registers are likely symptomatic of poor upstream components. It's cool if you prefer a warmer signature, but it's not really that helpful to perpetuate myths, particularly when you don't state what chain of components the HD800 dangled from.

 

Hmmm, I hadn't really considered the backside option. Could get some interesting sounds from that area. biggrin.gif

 

What you say about the HD800 may be true, but it puts it in a different price category. If the LCD-2 sounds good out of a $200 amp, and I know from experience it does, then one could theoretically say that it's total cost is $1200. If the HD800 needs nothing less than a $1000 amp, and from some comments that would seem to be the case, then it's theoretical cost is more like $2500, thus putting it in a different category. It's already $400 more here in Oz, so the mere fact that the two are competitors is a compliment (not complement, mind!) to the LCD-2.   


Edited by pp312 - 11/5/12 at 4:30pm
post #583 of 4940

Great reviews. thanks.

post #584 of 4940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

My ranking of the headphones are meant to imply my preferences with regard to performance.  By the nature that the LCD-2 is ranked in front of the HE-500, one can conclude that in a basic comparison (avoiding all distinctions), I prefer the LCD-2. The HE-500 sounds more neutral to me than the LCD-2, and therefore has its own merits which should not dissuade someone from an HE-500 purchase in favor of the LCD-2.

 

So far this is my conclusion also, that the HD500 is more neutral but the LCD-2 is more pleasant to listen to. As I only intend to keep one, this leaves me in a quandry. A more neutral phone is always going to be more consistent recording to recording; a more euphonic phone is going to sound brilliant on some recordings and less so on others. Trouble is, the LCD-2 sounds brilliant on so many recordings that one can forgive those few recordings on which it sounds a little wayward--and by wayward I mean its colourations lead to a touch more listener fatigue than with the HE-500. Believe it or not but the LCD-2 Rev1 is actually capable of glare. A quiet glare, mind you, and not at the extreme treble but in the upper mids, with flutes and so forth. Probably this is related to its sounding more open than the HE-500. The HE-500 to me sounds like there's a lightly tinted perspex canopy over the orchestra; the LCD-2 removes that canopy but at the expense of the glare. It's all very subtle, and may be equipment related, but I can only speak as I hear.

 

And I don't have perfect pitch either, so there!  biggrin.gif

post #585 of 4940

You can always just EQ the LCD to make it neutral.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)