Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 294

post #4396 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post

I have an older pair. Usually I need to really tighten them (they don't clamp) to improve the bass. I never liked the looks of the Alpha pads.

The HD800 pads are cool. It's like a giant glove for your ear (kind of how a baseball glove is a giant extension of your hand, the HD800 is like a glove for your ear).

Btw, both pairs really like the Voshkods, despite their different sound signatures.

Yes the HD800s are like a glove, they're also flexible in the correct angles to lay naturally on the top and sides of the head. I can wear them for 4-5 hours with no physical fatigue at all. I guess after trying the Mad Dogs and the HE500s, I really appreciate them more. There is a pair of D7000s on Audiogon I may try, I still need a closed back pr.

Yes the Voskhod tubes (especially the '75 gray shields) are magical in the Lyr with the HD800/Black Dragons! This combination has really sold me on what high end headphones can do. Details I have never heard before, they continue to surprise and amaze me. Now of course my $20k in source is a major factor. But all the more revealing of weakness down stream. The Woo WA6se is gone! That's how good the Lyr is with the right tubes.
Edited by rb2013 - 8/12/13 at 8:17pm
post #4397 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Yes the HD800s are like a glove, they're also flexible in the correct angles to lay naturally on the top and sides of the head. I can wear them for 4-5 hours with no physical fatigue at all. I guess after trying the Mad Dogs and the HE500s, I really appreciate them more. There is a pair of D7000s on Audiogon I may try, I still need a closed back pr.

Yes the Voskhod tubes (especially the '75 gray shields) are magical in the Lyr with the HD800/Black Dragons! This combination has really sold me on what high end headphones can do. Details I have never heard before, they continue to surprise and amaze me. Now of course my $20k in source is a major factor. But all the more revealing of weakness down stream. The Woo WA6se is gone! That's how good the Lyr is with the right tubes.

 

Yeah I pretty much wear cans all day since I work from the home, I gotta take a break with the orthos but the HD800 is like wearing a hood almost, doesn't feel like anything substantial is on me head.

post #4398 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

 

Yeah I pretty much wear cans all day since I work from the home, I gotta take a break with the orthos but the HD800 is like wearing a hood almost, doesn't feel like anything substantial is on me head.

If I worked from home, I'd probably get the HD800 too! Right now, i have to split my hobby funds between home and the office. 

post #4399 of 4939

HD800 are really brilliant in terms of comfort, the best I have ever felt on my head... Those special pads are simply stunning.

post #4400 of 4939

great post !

post #4401 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Yeah I pretty much wear cans all day since I work from the home, I gotta take a break with the orthos but the HD800 is like wearing a hood almost, doesn't feel like anything substantial is on me head.
I'm an old grizzled speaker guy, over 15 yrs I've had to many to count. So wearing headphones for hours was not something I relished. But the HD800s have broken me in, although I still get figgity with the cables. The one down side to the Moon Black Dragons, they are stiff and not comfortable. I'm about to spring for some new cables for the HD800s - the Stephan Audio Arts Endorphins, I'm hoping they are softer and more flexible. One trick I did find -wear a shirt with a collar, the wires stay better behaved when drapped on the outside of the collar folds.

I'm also going Planar - with my new speakers! Maggie 1.7s will soon be here. For when wifey is out shopping and I get to really crank it up!
Edited by rb2013 - 8/13/13 at 9:57pm
post #4402 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


I'm an old grizzled speaker guy, over 15 yrs I've had to many to count. So wearing headphones for hours was not something I relished. But the HD800s have broken me in, although I still get figgity with the cables. The one down side to the Moon Black Dragons, they are stiff and not comfortable. I'm about to spring for some new cables for the HD800s - the Stephan Audio Arts Endorphins, I'm hoping they are softer and more flexible. One trick I did find -wear a shirt with a collar, the wires stay better behaved when drapped on the outside of the collar folds.

I'm also going Planar - with my new speakers! Maggie 1.7s will soon be here. For when wifey is out shopping and I get to really crank it up!

 

I have a weird issue since my amp stack(s) are usually to my right the cable tickles my nipple LOL. Take pics of the SAA's I've actually never seen them before :)

I like Martin Logan for my speakers, just easy to run, not horribly horribly expensive, and you can find them quite easily locally.

post #4403 of 4939

David

I recently bought the Kingsound electrostatic HP and the Kingsound SS amp. My first foray into the electrostatic world. IF you do have some time, it would be great if you listened to this set up. I am listening to the Traveling Wilburys on them and did some quick comparisons with the LCD-3 and HE-500. This is mind-boggling to me but the Kingsounds sound quite a bit better than the other two HPs. There I just said it because part of me still refuses to believe this. Is it correct to presume the electrostatic will have better clarity, detail etc than the planars ?

 

Thanks

post #4404 of 4939

My SR007 MKIs amped via speakers taps and Woo Wee sound considerably better than my LCD-3s in most areas but in particular transparency, clarity and soundstage presentation. About the only area where the LCD-3s win is bass and by not a big margin. The LCD-3s sound like really great headphones, wheres the SR007 sound very natural and they dissapear. Big difference. I am at a loss trying understanding the respective positions in the chart. I am amping them using the same amplifier, so that provides for equal ground. The Woo Wee adds no coloration I can hear.

 

Also it must be said I am hearing lots of energy out the SR007s. I do agree they CAN sound somewhat laid back (in some configurations?), but here they don't.

 

Btw I am always volume matching the two via a dB meter positioned inside the cup on several fixed frequency sounds. For some weird enough reason with these particular two heapdhones based on ear listening alone I tend to have my SR007s less loud than the LCD-3s and think they're about the same.


Edited by negura - 8/14/13 at 9:16am
post #4405 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


I'm an old grizzled speaker guy.

I'm also going Planar - with my new speakers! Maggie 1.7s will soon be here. For when wifey is out shopping and I get to really crank it up!

My sentiments exactly-Speakers nice and loud.You cant beat it

post #4406 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepiHeadphonesple View Post

My sentiments exactly-Speakers nice and loud.You cant beat it
Just like planar headphones the Maggies scale well with volume, and like a fair amount of juice. Too bad they never did a headphone, they had pefected this technology long ago.
post #4407 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

I have a weird issue since my amp stack(s) are usually to my right the cable tickles my nipple LOL. Take pics of the SAA's I've actually never seen them before smily_headphones1.gif

I like Martin Logan for my speakers, just easy to run, not horribly horribly expensive, and you can find them quite easily locally.
For me it's when the cables rub against my neck, drives me nuts.
The MLs have always been one of my favorites.

Check the website www.stephanaudioarts.com. They come in many flavors.
Unfortunately, I just went to order a pr and the website says they are 8-12 weeks behind in shipping! They must be doing something right!
post #4408 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Just like planar headphones the Maggies scale well with volume, and like a fair amount of juice. Too bad they never did a headphone, they had pefected this technology long ago.

 

Maggies are a bit different; they are true ribbon speakers while headphones of this design are planar magnetic. The diaphragm is different in a ribbon speaker.

post #4409 of 4939
Well, not exactly. Some models use a true ribbon for the tweeter, but the design is called a quasi-ribbon. http://www.magnepan.com/magneplanar_technology
post #4410 of 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

Maggies are a bit different; they are true ribbon speakers while headphones of this design are planar magnetic. The diaphragm is different in a ribbon speaker.
Yes, that is correct for some of the new models like the 1.7s. Actually, I found a great deal on a pr of 1.6qrs at Echo Hifi in Portland. Like new $825! These sold for $1900 new. This speaker uses a planar mid-bass driver and a quasi-ribbon tweeter. I owned the original Magnepans in 1979, in college! They were pure planar. There are some awesome mods for these - see the Magnestand mods review on Positive-Feedback. I will likely at least do the crossover mod.
How about Magnepan build a qr headphone! How cool would that be?
Edited by rb2013 - 8/15/13 at 9:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)