Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 293

post #4381 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post

I just want to see how the Cirrus CS4398 in my Marantz SACD8004 fares. I see it as highly regarded in reviews (although some people have said it's a bit slow), but no idea where it is on the actual food chain. Sounds sexy to me though. I picked it over the Oppo 105 in a straight listening test. Also curious where the Bifrost would end up (supposedly is one of the best transparent DAC's for the money).

Bifrost - supposedly one of the best transparent DACs 'for the money'. Dude it's a bit bright and forward. But good for $400. Not even in the same league as the MSB, APL NWO, or the DCS stack. Source is so important. If your source is muddled, bright, edgie, lacking depth and detail...what's your headphone going to sound like. Glad to see you took my advice on the Lyr though, it matches well with the HD800s. :-) One of things I love about David's review...he's using one of best sources available.
Edited by rb2013 - 8/3/13 at 8:03pm
post #4382 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


You can get a new basic STAX rig for less than $600 USD nowadays. It sounds better than many of the dynamic an planar magnetic headphones to me and you still don't go past $1000.

The basic stax is good but the amp feels really wimpy in that set. I used to own the 2050 system myself and felt like the amp was driving the cans without an edge to it. I would probably get at least the system with the 307 and the matching amp :)

post #4383 of 4945

Can we expect modded Fostex T50RPs such as the Alpha Dog or Paradox in this review anytime soon?

post #4384 of 4945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanman View Post

Can we expect modded Fostex T50RPs such as the Alpha Dog or Paradox in this review anytime soon?

A lot of people have asked for me to include the Paradox and Mad Dog.  I have been eyeing Alpha Dog, but I don't know that I will include it as I am hopefully going to wrap up this thread (and my wallet) shortly.

 

What I was thinking of doing is creating an offshoot thread which will be a counterpart to this one, where I will right brief impressions on headphones that I audition at meets and such.


Edited by DavidMahler - 8/11/13 at 7:00am
post #4385 of 4945

Maybe just the alpha dog eventually?  As it is the 'flagship' of mr. speakers.

post #4386 of 4945
Just sent my Mad Dog Universals back to Mr Speakers. The sound was a bit closed in but very good. The main issue is physical discomfort. These guys sqeeze your ears pretty hard, even after giving them a good stretch. One night after a few hours listening session, my outer ear was so sore, it hurt for 2 days. Too bad! Bought a pr of HE500s with Moon Silver Dragons on Audiogon. Much more comfortable! Not like the supremely comfortable HD800s, but at least don't press on the ears.

Good sounding but no HD800. A bit muffled - not even close to the HD800/Black Dragon's detail, transparency, extension, or sound stage. Have to give the LCD3s a go.
Edited by rb2013 - 8/11/13 at 6:43pm
post #4387 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

A lot of people have asked for me to include the Paradox and Mad Dog.  I have been eyeing Alpha Dog, but I don't know that I will include it as I am hopefully going to wrap up this thread (and my wallet) shortly.

 

What I was thinking of doing is creating an offshoot thread which will be a counterpart to this one, where I will right brief impressions on headphones that I audition at meets and such.

I think that's a great idea! That would be immensely helpful, especially for people just getting into hi-fi.

post #4388 of 4945

Your review of the SE535 was spot on, David. I love the SE535... until I listen to classical with them! But I'm curious what kind of value rating you would give them at the $350 price point. I recently picked up a new pair from an authorized Shure dealer around $350... I'm torn by them because what they do well they do really well, but their flaws are unforgivable...unless I stay away from classical tracks! 

post #4389 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post
I am hopefully going to wrap up this thread (and my wallet) shortly.

I wonder which will come first: that or the complete restoration of my pair of HE60s. tongue_smile.gif

post #4390 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

Just sent my Mad Dog Universals back to Mr Speakers. The sound was a bit closed in but very good. The main issue is physical discomfort. These guys sqeeze your ears pretty hard, even after giving them a good stretch. One night after a few hours listening session, my outer ear was so sore, it hurt for 2 days. Too bad! Bought a pr of HE500s with Moon Silver Dragons on Audiogon. Much more comfortable! Not like the supremely comfortable HD800s, but at least don't press on the ears.

Good sounding but no HD800. A bit muffled - not even close to the HD800/Black Dragon's detail, transparency, extension, or sound stage. Have to give the LCD3s a go.

 

Which earpads did you have? I have the smaller ones and I can wear them all day.

 

My problem is they are power hungry and my Leckerton portable amp can't drive them that well. It feels like the mids are sucked out of them. For the Lyr, it is in the 10 oclock position for the dogs, for most other headphones it is near the 9 oclock position. When they are coming out of the Lyr, they are a joy to listen to.

post #4391 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post

Which earpads did you have? I have the smaller ones and I can wear them all day.

My problem is they are power hungry and my Leckerton portable amp can't drive them that well. It feels like the mids are sucked out of them. For the Lyr, it is in the 10 oclock position for the dogs, for most other headphones it is near the 9 oclock position. When they are coming out of the Lyr, they are a joy to listen to.

The newest version with the Alpha pads. They initially felt comfortable, but after about 2 hours started hurting. Oh well. I can wear the HD800s for hours without any discomfort. Even the HE500s feel stiff and heavy after awhile.
post #4392 of 4945

I have an older pair. Usually I need to really tighten them (they don't clamp) to improve the bass. I never liked the looks of the Alpha pads.

 

The HD800 pads are cool. It's like a giant glove for your ear (kind of how a baseball glove is a giant extension of your hand, the HD800 is like a glove for your ear).

 

Btw, both pairs really like the Voshkods, despite their different sound signatures.

post #4393 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

A lot of people have asked for me to include the Paradox and Mad Dog.  I have been eyeing Alpha Dog, but I don't know that I will include it as I am hopefully going to wrap up this thread (and my wallet) shortly.

 

What I was thinking of doing is creating an offshoot thread which will be a counterpart to this one, where I will right brief impressions on headphones that I audition at meets and such.

 

Good effort on the tour. Would suggest Fostex TH600 as a candidate for final entrants tongue_smile.gif

post #4394 of 4945
Any idea of when we'll see the Koss ESP-950? I'm very interested to see how it stacks up in your opinion.
post #4395 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

Any idea of when we'll see the Koss ESP-950? I'm very interested to see how it stacks up in your opinion.


I'm curious about these, but I understand the limited enthusiasm. The pins terminate with something that can't be used with Stax electrostatic headphone amps. I've read you can mod them though. For the price though, it's an interesting prospect.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)