With the speed at which you're executing, I'll stand by the TH-900 exit should you grow restless.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 7/11/14 at 10:27am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Selling off my IEMs, looking for a good full size can replacement Last post on 9/15/12 at 5:49am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 289post #4321 of 49407/20/13 at 3:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4322 of 49407/20/13 at 3:26pmQuote:
When I was a kid - I made my own headphones by putting a Radioshack two way on each side of my twin bed, then cranking it up!
I think Jimi Hendrix rewired my cortex with just sound waves!
We live in extraordinary Audio times!!post #4323 of 49407/20/13 at 3:30pmpost #4324 of 49407/20/13 at 3:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Silent One
Some moons back - say 2008 - I drew a line in the sand. I would NOT spend north of $2k on headphones. Period. That's speaker territory for my wallet, a clearly defined one without blur or confusion.
...like many, my lifestyle changed. No longer having my own place. Or living largely by myself - suddenly having to consider others nearby in the way of roommates. In fact, this is the origin of WooAudio pretty much and how they came into being as a business. Many living in NYC close to each other, on top of each other and speakers for many were no longer an option. WA understood this and emerged to satisfy this reality.
Fast forward to 2013 and I cannot for the life of me find that line once firmly drawn. I did look for it
recently and closely - there's simply no sign or trace of its existence. I just sold my beloved D7000 and for the very first time I'm considering scratching or surpassing the line I once drew. And without balking.
A fav song of mine is "You Can't Lose What You Never Had" - by The Muddy Waters Tribute Band. I enjoyed listening to the HE-6 for a few months, the HD800 and while they did bring me some things I had been missing, I was content settling back in with my D7000 and not worried about what I didn't have. Rather, enjoying my music library with what I did have in the D7000.
Only because my listening pleasure must remain private for now, and I want to replace my cans with something of quality, we're headed north!
You can get a new basic STAX rig for less than $600 USD nowadays. It sounds better than many of the dynamic an planar magnetic headphones to me and you still don't go past $1000.post #4325 of 49407/20/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
Ah, you caught my use of the word potentially... I'll be screening south of $2k, trust me. Not familiar with Stax options, but I know a few mafia members who'll be glad to help. Thanks for weighing-in.post #4326 of 49407/20/13 at 4:25pmpost #4327 of 49407/20/13 at 5:47pm
But... the K-Horns would give a place to rest my HD650 while I run to the fridge!post #4328 of 49407/20/13 at 8:41pmQuote:
I'm not buying it...
(I do, however, want to buy a pair of Magnepan's... Oops! Did that just slip out? )post #4329 of 49407/22/13 at 1:16am
FYI, I have posted a very very brief summary of my initial finding of the Abyss ab-1266
in comparison to the HD800.
Overall, It is a better headphone than the hd800. It's like they mixed most of the good points of an LCD3 with a HD800. Very enjoyable headphone.
I found that playing with different earpads positions can drastically improve the bass. It took a while to get the 'optimal' fit.
I am currently still burning in these headphones.post #4330 of 49407/22/13 at 5:27ampost #4331 of 49407/22/13 at 5:38amQuote:
I will probably have to agree with you there. You could also get a th900 or a T1 with the remaining $2000.
I could probably make the same argument for the star sr-009. The point is that the HD800 and others (like the lcd3 and he-6 maybe) are damn close to these super expensive headphones (with the right setup).post #4332 of 49407/22/13 at 6:17ampost #4333 of 49407/22/13 at 6:40amQuote:
good point!!!post #4334 of 49407/22/13 at 7:32am
Well yeah. So far to me, one of the main benefits of the planar magnetic headphones is their affordability. That makes the Abyss seem even more expensive than it is, even though it can driven off a normal amplifier like the Burson.
Plus, I agree with Tyll...The LOOK of that thing makes it easy to not want one.
I think it's acceptable (unfortunately) that electrostats are naturally expensive and as are their amps, just based on precedents like the Stax models and the Orpheus. I just don't think there's a ton of room for a lot of super-expensive headphones like that.
But for my own curiousity, I would love to see where David would throw it into the ranking.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV 51 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 54 seconds ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced - updated with... 5 minutes ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 5 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 5 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 5 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 upgrade? HELP (urgent) 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)