With the speed at which you're executing, I'll stand by the TH-900 exit should you grow restless.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 7/20/13 at 5:59am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Selling off my IEMs, looking for a good full size can replacement Last post on 9/15/12 at 5:49am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 289post #4321 of 48397/20/13 at 3:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4322 of 48397/20/13 at 3:26pmQuote:
When I was a kid - I made my own headphones by putting a Radioshack two way on each side of my twin bed, then cranking it up!
I think Jimi Hendrix rewired my cortex with just sound waves!
We live in extraordinary Audio times!!post #4323 of 48397/20/13 at 3:30pmpost #4324 of 48397/20/13 at 3:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Silent One
Some moons back - say 2008 - I drew a line in the sand. I would NOT spend north of $2k on headphones. Period. That's speaker territory for my wallet, a clearly defined one without blur or confusion.
...like many, my lifestyle changed. No longer having my own place. Or living largely by myself - suddenly having to consider others nearby in the way of roommates. In fact, this is the origin of WooAudio pretty much and how they came into being as a business. Many living in NYC close to each other, on top of each other and speakers for many were no longer an option. WA understood this and emerged to satisfy this reality.
Fast forward to 2013 and I cannot for the life of me find that line once firmly drawn. I did look for it
recently and closely - there's simply no sign or trace of its existence. I just sold my beloved D7000 and for the very first time I'm considering scratching or surpassing the line I once drew. And without balking.
A fav song of mine is "You Can't Lose What You Never Had" - by The Muddy Waters Tribute Band. I enjoyed listening to the HE-6 for a few months, the HD800 and while they did bring me some things I had been missing, I was content settling back in with my D7000 and not worried about what I didn't have. Rather, enjoying my music library with what I did have in the D7000.
Only because my listening pleasure must remain private for now, and I want to replace my cans with something of quality, we're headed north!
You can get a new basic STAX rig for less than $600 USD nowadays. It sounds better than many of the dynamic an planar magnetic headphones to me and you still don't go past $1000.post #4325 of 48397/20/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
Ah, you caught my use of the word potentially... I'll be screening south of $2k, trust me. Not familiar with Stax options, but I know a few mafia members who'll be glad to help. Thanks for weighing-in.post #4326 of 48397/20/13 at 4:25pmpost #4327 of 48397/20/13 at 5:47pm
But... the K-Horns would give a place to rest my HD650 while I run to the fridge!post #4328 of 48397/20/13 at 8:41pmQuote:
I'm not buying it...
(I do, however, want to buy a pair of Magnepan's... Oops! Did that just slip out? )post #4329 of 48397/22/13 at 1:16am
FYI, I have posted a very very brief summary of my initial finding of the Abyss ab-1266
in comparison to the HD800.
Overall, It is a better headphone than the hd800. It's like they mixed most of the good points of an LCD3 with a HD800. Very enjoyable headphone.
I found that playing with different earpads positions can drastically improve the bass. It took a while to get the 'optimal' fit.
I am currently still burning in these headphones.post #4330 of 48397/22/13 at 5:27ampost #4331 of 48397/22/13 at 5:38amQuote:
I will probably have to agree with you there. You could also get a th900 or a T1 with the remaining $2000.
I could probably make the same argument for the star sr-009. The point is that the HD800 and others (like the lcd3 and he-6 maybe) are damn close to these super expensive headphones (with the right setup).post #4332 of 48397/22/13 at 6:17ampost #4333 of 48397/22/13 at 6:40amQuote:
good point!!!post #4334 of 48397/22/13 at 7:32am
Well yeah. So far to me, one of the main benefits of the planar magnetic headphones is their affordability. That makes the Abyss seem even more expensive than it is, even though it can driven off a normal amplifier like the Burson.
Plus, I agree with Tyll...The LOOK of that thing makes it easy to not want one.
I think it's acceptable (unfortunately) that electrostats are naturally expensive and as are their amps, just based on precedents like the Stax models and the Orpheus. I just don't think there's a ton of room for a lot of super-expensive headphones like that.
But for my own curiousity, I would love to see where David would throw it into the ranking.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 9 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 28 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 6 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 6 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 6 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude