Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 243

post #3631 of 4937

Or the Stax 007 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.

post #3632 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.

 

+1

post #3633 of 4937

I went to a local Head-Fi meet and in an after-after meet, I got to try out the Stax Lambda Signature and Sigma Pro earspeakers.

 

@ DavidMahler, what amp did you use with the Sigma's? I found them to be very bassy and congested, not ideal for orchestra nor acoustic tracks from my listen. They had a LOT of mid bass and not much extension. Looking at your review for the Sigma, it almost seems the opposite experience I had. XD

 

I found the Lambda Signature to be much more transparent and open-sounding in comparison.

 

 

 

 

 


I also tried the LCD-2 with an Objective 2 amp, as I stated I would do earlier in the thread, and I have to re-evaluate my preferences for them since they sounded really great! Most of the rigs here pair it with tube amplifiers and I NEVER liked the LCD-2's with them. With the O2, I actually enjoyed it so much as to give it a good amount of head-time. Now if only they weren't so heavy.....I had to keep it on my head with two hands since they kept sliding off my head. :(

 

 

 

I tried the HE-500 too. With a Woo Audio WA7, the sound was smooth and pretty neutral. On the Objective 2, which is what I would use were I to buy the HE-500, I noticed an annoying treble peak at around 10 kHz, which is the case from what I see in Tyll's Innerfidelity measurements.


Edited by miceblue - 5/5/13 at 4:22pm
post #3634 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argybargy View Post

REGARDING STAX 507, DAVID WROTE:

 

ANALYTICAL?: To my ears, the sound signature of the SR-507 is a bit on the colder side. I enjoy its analytical nature sometimes, but other times, I find its sound to be verging on icy.

BASS: The bass response of the SR-507 is very tight and shows excellent restraint. Even still, it is just a touch leaner than I would like. I would prefer the SR-507 have a weightier / fuller tone. Perhaps, this is from where my perception of the SR-507's analytical nature stems.

 

* * *

 

It's fascinating how differently I am hearing these headphones.  These new 507s have 150 hours of burn in and are driven by a Stax 600 Limited.

 

I'm slightly disappointed and perplexed by what I am hearing- which is exactly opposite to David's observations.

 

To my ears the sound sig is warm.  I was hoping for analytical.  The bass is thick and a bit boomy lacking tightness and restraint.  Frankly, these 507s sound somewhat like dynamic phones along with the characteristic stat speed and black background and that effortless quality.  I agree that the treble is smooth and glare free.

 

I'm hoping a little more of the analytical nature will emerge with 50 more hours of burn in.

 

It did sound slightly more analytical, lean and airy driven by a Stax 007T, but the essential signature was still (too) warm.
 

 

Hi Dave,

 

I now have 310 hours of burn-in on the 507.

 

I would now say that they are neutral.

 

I can detect no dryness or analytical coldness when listening to: Bat for Lashes "Good Love", Mythos "Dreams of Jade", Massive Attack "Teardrop".

The bass is now nicely controlled with no hint of the prior boominess and the soundstage is pleasantly wide, though neither particularly high nor deep.

 

As a reminder, my setup is: imac>AIFF>Fidelia upsampled to 96khz>NOS DAC>Stax SRM 600 Ltd.  I think the NOS DAC and the 600 Ltd might be imparting a slight warmth and hint of coloration that is masking a leaner/dryer sound that you are hearing through the BHSE.

 

The burn-in effect was significant.  I know that Martin Logan used to recommend 72 hours of burn in at 90db for their electrostatic speakers, so it's not surprising that Stax Ear Speakers will have a noticeable difference a few hundred hours out of the box.  The biggest differences were: greater efficiency, bigger sound stage and better controlled bass.  Changes seemed quicker and more noticeable when burning in at higher volumes 90+db.

 

I'm very pleased with the smooth, neutral sound I'm hearing.

post #3635 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.

 

Yep. Have. Would. :D

post #3636 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.

 

There's a long list even before getting to the Orpheus. I love my LCD-2s, but the first example are the LCD-3s as they do pretty much everything better. Many would also prefer the HD800s and despite the different sound signature it's just a better headphone overall. Or the HE-6 properly amped. Not to mention the Stax mafia.


Edited by negura - 5/6/13 at 5:49am
post #3637 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.

 

I certainly would, heck!, i even prefer my PS1000 to the LCD2, the LCD3 though, that's a different story.

post #3638 of 4937

Well, i got myself some DT 660 to complement my HE-400 and while they are clearly infirior in my book to the HE-400, they do classic and instrumental nicer. Also i dont feel like carring my HE-400 around anymore, especially since it rains quite often in Poland.

 

Vanessa Mae actually managed to force a tear or 2 in some of her songs with the DT660.

 

Now i need a third HP for mid/neutral :D.

post #3639 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Well, i got myself some DT 660 to complement my HE-400 and while they are clearly infirior in my book to the HE-400, they do classic and instrumental nicer. Also i dont feel like carring my HE-400 around anymore, especially since it rains quite often in Poland.

 

Vanessa Mae actually managed to force a tear or 2 in some of her songs with the DT660.

 

Now i need a third HP for mid/neutral :D.

I do like my 660 for closed.

post #3640 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argybargy View Post

 

Hi Dave,

 

I now have 310 hours of burn-in on the 507.

 

I would now say that they are neutral.

 

I can detect no dryness or analytical coldness when listening to: Bat for Lashes "Good Love", Mythos "Dreams of Jade", Massive Attack "Teardrop".

The bass is now nicely controlled with no hint of the prior boominess and the soundstage is pleasantly wide, though neither particularly high nor deep.

 

As a reminder, my setup is: imac>AIFF>Fidelia upsampled to 96khz>NOS DAC>Stax SRM 600 Ltd.  I think the NOS DAC and the 600 Ltd might be imparting a slight warmth and hint of coloration that is masking a leaner/dryer sound that you are hearing through the BHSE.

 

The burn-in effect was significant.  I know that Martin Logan used to recommend 72 hours of burn in at 90db for their electrostatic speakers, so it's not surprising that Stax Ear Speakers will have a noticeable difference a few hundred hours out of the box.  The biggest differences were: greater efficiency, bigger sound stage and better controlled bass.  Changes seemed quicker and more noticeable when burning in at higher volumes 90+db.

 

I'm very pleased with the smooth, neutral sound I'm hearing.

This is excellent news! Thanks for sharing your impressions

post #3641 of 4937

I got a question:

On the DT660, DaviD Mentions that Amplification is recommended. However, the maximum input power on those is stated as 100mW.

 

I have an Fiio E17 that delivers about 290mW at that impendance and a Desktop amp (Shiit Asgard) that Delivers around 1 Watt.

I assume its rather dangerous to use the full pwoer of any of those amps on the DT660, right?

post #3642 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I think anyone who heard an LCD2.2 and an Orpheus would take the Orpheus.
Psst I'd take beats over both , seriously guys think about it there way lighter, don't need an amp, they don't cost a fortune, They fold up, and the most important thing is that I'd be socially accepted in to the mainstream.
post #3643 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg00900 View Post


Psst I'd take beats over both , seriously guys think about it there way lighter, don't need an amp, they don't cost a fortune, They fold up, and the most important thing is that I'd be socially accepted in to the mainstream.

 

LOL!!!!

post #3644 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

I got a question:

On the DT660, DaviD Mentions that Amplification is recommended. However, the maximum input power on those is stated as 100mW.

 

I have an Fiio E17 that delivers about 290mW at that impendance and a Desktop amp (Shiit Asgard) that Delivers around 1 Watt.

I assume its rather dangerous to use the full pwoer of any of those amps on the DT660, right?

At full power you'll be at ear-bleeding levels anyways. Just keep things at normal listening volumes where power is moderate and you'll be fine. 

post #3645 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

I got a question:

On the DT660, DaviD Mentions that Amplification is recommended. However, the maximum input power on those is stated as 100mW.

 

I have an Fiio E17 that delivers about 290mW at that impendance and a Desktop amp (Shiit Asgard) that Delivers around 1 Watt.

I assume its rather dangerous to use the full pwoer of any of those amps on the DT660, right?

 

At full power you'll be at ear-bleeding levels anyways. Just keep things at normal listening volumes where power is moderate and you'll be fine. 

 

Exactly, that's what what volume knobs are for!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)