Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 229

post #3421 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Regarding the stock pads, I prefer the Velours as it gives them a little more air and really brings out the great treble. Some prefer the pleather for a darker richer tone. 

 

Jerg has a whole thread on modifications to the stock pads thats worth a look at. 

+1 I like the velour, also.  But will be looking into the Jerg pad mods soon.

post #3422 of 4937

David your work/review/shootout is indirectly featured in this video!tongue.gif

post #3423 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

David your work/review/shootout is indirectly featured in this video!tongue.gif

Hey! That's pretty cool!! Thanks for showing me:)

post #3424 of 4937

beerchug.gif

post #3425 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post

Hi

Does everyone change the pads on their HE-500's? Or at least recommend to?.....and to which ones, if they do?

 

Thanks

 

I use Beyer DT880/990 pads on my HE-500. I attached them using the plastic mounting ring from the pleather pads. They are the most comfortable pads I've seen on any headphone. Treble is even better with these than with the stock velours. I had some problems with sibilance at first but I found that covering the holes in the plastic mounting ring with some electrical tape calmed it right down.

post #3426 of 4937

i still use the pleathers on mine. the velour does provide a cleaner and brighter sound, but loses some bass and smoothness in the highs.

 

to me, the velours sounded similar to my T1, but not as good, so i never use them wink.gif

post #3427 of 4937
Yep I also prefer the pleathers.
post #3428 of 4937

Hey David!

Did you already get a chance to listen to the JVC DX1000 as I asked 3 month ago? :)

Ever listened to a Grado HF-2? Some prefere them over the GS1000.

 

I wonder if you have a recommendation for me. I sold my HE-400 because I enjoy my modded T50rp more, but now I'm looking for an upgrade. As I really like ortho headphones I wanted to ask if you take the HE-500 as a serious upgrade? Or should I save my money and get a HE-6 or HD800?

 

Hope you understand my question :)

post #3429 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex View Post

Hey David!

Did you already get a chance to listen to the JVC DX1000 as I asked 3 month ago? :)

Ever listened to a Grado HF-2? Some prefere them over the GS1000.

 

I wonder if you have a recommendation for me. I sold my HE-400 because I enjoy my modded T50rp more, but now I'm looking for an upgrade. As I really like ortho headphones I wanted to ask if you take the HE-500 as a serious upgrade? Or should I save my money and get a HE-6 or HD800?

 

Hope you understand my question :)

I haven't heard the DX1000 to this day.  The HF-2 is perhaps similar to the PS500 based on other accounts.  I prefer the PS500 more than the GS1000.  

 

The HE-500 is a very different sound from the HE-400, specifically in its tonality.  The Tonality of the HE-500 is more fluid to my ears, more natural overall.  I think if you will be amping the HE-6 properly it is better, but very often the HE-500 is worth due to its less demanding nature.  If you like the Ortho sound, stick with a Hifiman or Audeze.  You may also like the Fostex TH900 which has a very fluid sound.  The HD800 is a great headphone, but it will be very different from ever headphone you mention (even not having heard the DX1000 and HF-2) I can deduce from my knowledge, that the HD800 is markedly different.  I could get into specifics, but I'd just probably be repeating what I say in the review itself.  :)


Edited by DavidMahler - 4/9/13 at 6:51am
post #3430 of 4937
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I love using headphones to add aural treats in mixes and seeing there's a whole world of people that love listening on phones, its a good move.

 

Nothing better than reading a review by someone with a passion for what they do. Good work kind sir.

post #3431 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadg View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Nothing better than reading a review by someone with a passion for what they do. Good work kind sir.

Thank you! Welcome to Head-fi:)  Tried to hide your spoiler there :D

post #3432 of 4937

A headphone's ranking for me depends what amp I am using. With my old Headroom Max, the TH900 is far and away the best on that amp, with solid bass, lots of ambiance, and lots of life, along with full textures, whereas Grados can be harsh, Audezes can be dull, and HD800s can be piercing.

But with my Pinnacle, the HD800 is awesome in all those areas, and the Audezes have great texture and are very much alive.

post #3433 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

A headphone's ranking for me depends what amp I am using. With my old Headroom Max, the TH900 is far and away the best on that amp, with solid bass, lots of ambiance, and lots of life, along with full textures, whereas Grados can be harsh, Audezes can be dull, and HD800s can be piercing.

But with my Pinnacle, the HD800 is awesome in all those areas, and the Audezes have great texture and are very much alive.

 

Interesting to hear that different amps change sound that much for you. My amps never changed sound signature that much to my ears. Audezes probably would have less treble than Grados or HD800s on any amp. 

post #3434 of 4937

Hi David, just a quick question. I had a pair of HE 500's and found them very refined but a bit too laid back and boring & also lacking in bass impact. I'm thinking about buying a pair of LCD 2's but I need to be sure they have strong bass impact & presence and that instruments, especially drums, have weight to their sound. Also, are the LCD 2's engaging and fun in comparison to the HE 500's? What is your opinion?

post #3435 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

 

Interesting to hear that different amps change sound that much for you. My amps never changed sound signature that much to my ears. Audezes probably would have less treble than Grados or HD800s on any amp. 

 

Headphone amplifiers cannot change the headphones... They only amplify the signal and while they can do it in a bit different way, be of different nature and from the technical point of view synergy differently with various headphones, they simply cannot transform your headphones into something else.

 

There is a lot of exaggeration here on head-fi... I mean A LOT.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)