Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 216

post #3226 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT0071 View Post

I just replaced all parts on my HD650 thinking it was worth it because I had one of the world's best headphones... then I read this post!   doh!blink.gif

 

Ranked 20th?!  eek.gif

 

If it had of at least been in the top 10, I could live with that... but to know there are 19 other headphones better than what I have - and maybe some cheaper too (haven't price checked them yet) - that is just a tough pill to swallow.

 

Do I sell my HD650's and buy something else?  

I am loyal to my family, friends, wife etc - I would never think about upgrading them (really lol)

But headphones - not so much...

 

Anyone care to offer some sage advice?  Ditch the HD650's and get something else or stick it out with them??

 

 

My budget about $750

 

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).

I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

 

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

 

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

post #3227 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT0071 View Post

 

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).

I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

 

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

 

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

off the top of my head, there are plenty of shops that sell hd800 and he500 in canada

bay bloor radio, headfoneshop in toronto, headphone bar in vancouver

 

best to try the headphones out before selling your 650 though, really depends on sound signature preference

post #3228 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam inside View Post

 I'm chuffed to buggery with that purchase!


Cheers Rich

That's a good thing, right?

post #3229 of 4937
Yeah, I need an English to English translation please.
post #3230 of 4937

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT0071 View Post

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).

I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

 

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

 

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 


I had both HD800 and HE-500 here. They are both fine headphones, but to my ears and head very different from each other.

The HE-500 you must try and make sure the one you get is pukka. Many like it, I could not get past the lack of comfort wearing them.

The HD-800 I can recommend more, but for my own coin, with my fav music and in me own setup I liked the AKG K701 and some antique electrostatic headphones I picked up for next to nothing at a charity shop better.

You absolutely have to listen first. Don't sell your current cans, don't order replacements before you cop a good feel.

Cheerio Rich 

PS, I do have a thread where I discuss my experiences, but I do not want to hijack this thread

post #3231 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam inside View Post
 I'm chuffed to buggery with that purchase!


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Yeah, I need an English to English translation please.

 

 

translation: linky because link name is nsfw but link is totally fine

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam inside View Post
 make sure the one you get is pukka. Many like it, I could not get past the lack of comfort wearing them.


 

 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pukka

post #3232 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

I think your best bet would be either the HD600/HD650 with amp.  If I planned to have only ONE headphone at my disposal, I would not pick the HE400.  I may pick the HE500 if you could spring for that plus amp.  But I think it's a no brainer for me to suggest that a moderately priced amp plus the HD600 makes for an excellent all-around choice for many years of listening.  It adheres to the sonic character you're looking for.  I would pick the HD600 (not the 650) as my singular headphone.  The HD650 is a warmer, lusher headphone, but it may not be as good a single reference.  I prefer the HD650 for what it does, but only in conjunction with other headphones.  If I could only have one headphone at my disposal and I had a price point of $500, the HD600 would be it.

David, I'm in something of the same boat as the OP, looking to upgrade and generally casting about in the $400ish space (although that's not necessarily a hard cap).

I had the chance to spend a few hours at home with a pair of HE-400s. I thought they were quite detailed, imaged beautifully, and had a realistic soundstage. I did notice a little weakness in the mids—a little "flat" sounding, there, versus "lively"— but the treble spike others have described may have suited my middle-aged ears quite well. Basically, I liked them quite a bit, but would appreciate your expert perspective before I make the jump.

So, imaging, space, detail, response...if those are my criteria, in something resembling priority order, are the 400s a good choice, or would you recommend something else in the same general price range, or a little higher?

Right now I'm using an Audio-GD NFB-12 as my DAC/amp. To complete the picture, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
post #3233 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT0071 View Post

 

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).

I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

 

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

 

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

Just buy the HE500 from the manufacturer's website (head-direct), they ship to Canada without any import fees / taxes.

post #3234 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam inside View Post

Hi,
 


I fully agree, except on "affordable" well over grand in the UK, I can buy a decent speaker based system at Richer Sounds for less! 

I managed to pick up a pair of 40 Years old (or thereabouts) electrostatic headphones for 20 squid at the charity shop, these are nearly as good as the HD800 all around (HD800 go a trifle louder on my headamp) and they have a transparency and non-mechanical the HD800's lack the last 30% or so off. I'm chuffed to buggery with that purchase!

Cheers Rich

Nice one, sounds like you got a bargain there!

Yup, good ole Richer sounds. Got my first speaker set up there myself. Mission floor standers and cambridge audio amp... Wish I still had them actually.

 

As a fellow Englishman I can translate the above phrase for our transatlantic comrades.

 

It basically means "I'm very pleased with my purchase" And in no way does it refer to being excited about the act of "Buggery"

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery_Act_1533

 

bigsmile_face.gif

post #3235 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Just buy the HE500 from the manufacturer's website (head-direct), they ship to Canada without any import fees / taxes.

 

How do they get past customs without fees?

post #3236 of 4937
They claim low values, and they can because they are the direct manufacturer so if something gets lost it doesn't really cost them much. They aren't losing a $800 headphone, they are losing a $100-200 headphone at their cost.
post #3237 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

They claim low values, and they can because they are the direct manufacturer so if something gets lost it doesn't really cost them much. They aren't losing a $800 headphone, they are losing a $100-200 headphone at their cost.

How could something (the HE500) that costs Hifiman that little ( in parts and labor I assume) sound so miraculous (to me at least)? Yep, I would classify that as a miracle. Thanks Fang.

post #3238 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

There is a new electrostatic in the works.  I don't know about pricing or release date.  What I do know is that if Fang and his team address the issues which plagued the original Jades, they will have something that competes nicely with the SR009 and Orpheus.  I intend to acquire this headphone and have it be the final headphone which I will review for several years. :)

So. Mr. Fang is working on a phone above the he6? I heard that rumor also..but thought it was a hoax..biggrin.gif

post #3239 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

How could something (the HE500) that costs Hifiman that little ( in parts and labor I assume) sound so miraculous (to me at least)? Yep, I would classify that as a miracle. Thanks Fang.

If u only knew what german or US premium brands earn per headphone.. its at least same but am sure its more!! U can count on that...its in all premium markets..the higher the price level..the higher the profits per item.

post #3240 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlapak View Post


David, I'm in something of the same boat as the OP, looking to upgrade and generally casting about in the $400ish space (although that's not necessarily a hard cap).

I had the chance to spend a few hours at home with a pair of HE-400s. I thought they were quite detailed, imaged beautifully, and had a realistic soundstage. I did notice a little weakness in the mids—a little "flat" sounding, there, versus "lively"— but the treble spike others have described may have suited my middle-aged ears quite well. Basically, I liked them quite a bit, but would appreciate your expert perspective before I make the jump.

So, imaging, space, detail, response...if those are my criteria, in something resembling priority order, are the 400s a good choice, or would you recommend something else in the same general price range, or a little higher?

Right now I'm using an Audio-GD NFB-12 as my DAC/amp. To complete the picture, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hmmm, if you found the HE-400 kinda weak, it may be best for you to try a different model.  I still maintain the HD600 is among the best values at that price point.  It has a very different sound from the HE-400, excels over it in tone I feel, fails to live up to the detail, speed and airiness.  I prefer the HD600 overall by a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

So. Mr. Fang is working on a phone above the he6? I heard that rumor also..but thought it was a hoax..biggrin.gif

Well, its going to be a different market.  The Jade sounds better to me than the HE-6, and I think Fang is involved in creating a headphone that will improve what was wrong with the Jade (namely its fragility).  :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)