What a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 3/10/15
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 211post #3151 of 50523/17/13 at 4:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3152 of 50523/17/13 at 9:14pmpost #3153 of 50523/17/13 at 9:22pmpost #3154 of 50523/17/13 at 9:25pmpost #3155 of 50523/17/13 at 9:34pmpost #3156 of 50523/17/13 at 10:07pmProbably has been mentioned at some point in this thread, but I just noticed the HD800s are the highest combined ranking in sound and value, #5 in both columns. It's no wonder why they are clearly the most popular flagship in the world.post #3157 of 50523/17/13 at 10:20pm
I've been hemming and hawing for the past little while, trying to decide if I should downgrade from the HE-6. I've been eyeballing the HE-500 and HD600/650 as potential stepdowns. "Good enough" right?
Well after some recent auditions and organizing a local meet... it's getting harder and harder to convince myself to let go. The HE-500 is excellent, but the HE-6 just hits harder, reaches deeper, and resolves better than the HE-500. Even after switching around with different pads, grills, etc. It's not this eye popping difference, but they're readily noticeable. I find the HE-6 also responds more readily to fiddling, whether that be changing pads, some damping, re grilling, etc. Great fun for those who endlessly tweak like me.
The HD600/650 are excellent cans, but after playing around with the big orthos they just don't stand a chance... though I'll give them the easy nod for comfort. I prefer the tonal balance of the HD600 over the 650 (which feel a little dark) and even the 800. It's hard to say whether I think the 650 is technically more proficient than the 600, though the 800 is noticeably so and stomps them for soundstage. However, there's a hardness to the HD800 treble that throws me off.post #3158 of 50523/17/13 at 11:36pmQuote:
I've heard this steely hard treble you speak of, but only when paired with certain DAC/amp combinations.
Using too-aggressive tubes in my CSP+ can bring out some upper range harshness. But then again, so too can the right tubes create a sublime experience free from anything of the sort.post #3159 of 50523/18/13 at 10:32amQuote:
Please post a personal review if you can! I'm also interested getting my first planar headphone.
Edited by musiclife - 3/20/13 at 7:44pmpost #3160 of 50523/18/13 at 11:16amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Hun7er
I recommend you the SRM600LTD or another tube amp with the HE60, better synergy than the KGSS that can present harsh treble.
Actually yy personnal ranking is :
1 HE60 - SRM600LTD
2 HD800 - Super 7
3 Lambda Nova Signature - SRM600LTD
4 SR007 - KGSS
Try the Lambda Nova Signature, it is a SR507 without that cold behavior.
Thank you for the recommendation. For the time, I will be using the Aristaeus:)
You're welcome! ThanksQuote:
That's interesting!post #3161 of 50523/18/13 at 2:07pmpost #3162 of 50523/18/13 at 4:39pm
So call me a geek (I 'r engineer), but I came up with a way to 'Plan' my purchases base on David's list. I use it as a guide and then decide which headphones to try out.
What I did was put both of his lists in excel and put numbers to the Value and Sound Quality Chart. Then summed the numbers and sorted by the results. Pretty simple no fancy weighting or anything just straight addition. If there was a tie the emphasis went to Value.
The results are in the attached pdf:
I also highlighted the A+, A, and A- ranked phones. I was also surprised at how many out of production ones there were so I highlighted them also.
The second sheet is the ones I picked out for my wishlist to get started, but of course, it will be a dynamic list. I bought the top two off the list to test and so far I am happy with them both.
Check it out and let me know what you guys think. Maybe this will help someone buy more phones:
Edited by bearFNF - 3/18/13 at 4:57pmpost #3163 of 50523/18/13 at 4:52pm
Not bad. I was thinking of doing something similar... except then I realized that was just giving me excuses to look into more toys that I can't afford
p.s. your value/SQ are flipped around on the first page. I think I'd like to add an HD600 to my stable, though it really isn't necessary...post #3164 of 50523/18/13 at 4:54pm
Good catch, I copy and pasted form my shorter list.
It's updated now.
I already had the HD650 when I found this list so I didn't put it on my wish list.
Edited by bearFNF - 3/18/13 at 5:00pmpost #3165 of 50523/18/13 at 6:38pmQuote:
They haven't really officially announced it, but there have been many less-than-subtle hints that that's what they're working on.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 54 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015) 1 minute ago
- › Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs with 1/4 inch cable .. About 1 month old ..... 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x,... 3 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing The Cozoy Astrapi: Hi-Res Lineout audio from your... 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2