Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 144

post #2146 of 4937

HD650 has nearly as much bass quantity as the HE-400?  Aw haaaaaaalllll naw!  L3000.gif

post #2147 of 4937
No, not as much. The HE-400 has much more sub bass, but in terms of the liveliness of the bass, I found the HD650 to have plenty. That .5 difference is bigger than the numbers imply.

But then, let's not start the whole presence and impact nonsense. All I'm trying to say here is that the K702 Annie has plenty of bass. Noticeably more than the Q/K of old.

For others: (again quantity, doesn't matter if it's sub or mid bass)

XB500: 10 (only bass)
Ultrasone Pro 900: 9.5
D7000: 9.5 (presence being mainly sub bass compared to the Pro 900's mid bass)
DT990: 9
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/4/13 at 4:51pm
post #2148 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

No, not as much. The HE-400 has much more sub bass, but in terms of the liveliness of the bass, I found the HD650 to have plenty. That .5 difference is bigger than the numbers imply.
But then, let's not start the whole presence and impact nonsense. All I'm trying to say here is that the K702 Annie has plenty of bass. Noticeably more than the Q/K of old.
For others: (again quantity, doesn't matter if it's sub or mid bass)
XB500: 10 (only bass)
Ultrasone Pro 900: 9.5
D7000: 9.5 (presence being mainly sub bass compared to the Pro 900's mid bass)
DT990: 9

 

+1 

 

having owned hd 650s + these headphones at one time or another, i agree 100% with this bass quantity comparison. 

 

 

btw how does sub-bass quality and bass decay compare on k702 annie vs. hd 650? the hd 650s have very clean deep sub-bass that is very subwoofer-like imo without becoming bloated or exaggerated, though it tends to be on the one-note side at times.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 1/4/13 at 5:33pm
post #2149 of 4937

You guys must have had amps at the time that really brought out their mid-bass impact.  HD650 has no sub-bass either-- not subwoofer like at all.


Edited by TMRaven - 1/4/13 at 5:36pm
post #2150 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

You guys must have had amps at the time that really brought out their mid-bass impact.  HD650 has no sub-bass either-- not subwoofer like at all.

I would not say that the HD650 is a sub bass king, but it is a warm headphone overall.

post #2151 of 4937

the hd 650 has very good sub-bass it just isn't as strong as with other headphones like the denons or beyers. it was still quite enjoyable though and did come out more depending on the song.  

 

i do agree though that the hd 650s was slightly lacking in the mid-bass, it wasn't bad though.

post #2152 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

the hd 650 has very good sub-bass it just isn't as strong as with other headphones like the denons or beyers. it was still quite enjoyable though and did come out more depending on the song.  

 

i do agree though that the hd 650s was slightly lacking in the mid-bass, it wasn't bad though.

Please define "sub-bass".

post #2153 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

Please define "sub-bass".

i define it as frequencies under 50 hz, or even 60, but i think of 60 really as the beginning of bass


Edited by DavidMahler - 1/4/13 at 6:02pm
post #2154 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

Please define "sub-bass".

i define it as frequencies under 50 hz, or even 60, but i think of 60 really as the beginning of bass

I think if that is how you define it, then most mid-fi cans have sub-bass.  Of course this is all relative to 1kz.  You could show 40Hz on name that headphone but 40 to 60db down?

 

I define sub-bass as at least 40Hz and below and not that far down relative to 1kz.  This would include orchestral bass drum, pipe organ, contra bassoon and tuba.  The planars can do it, the expensive Stax can do it, some of the older Denons (5000,7000) can.  IMHO.

post #2155 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

If I could put it into blasphemous words, the K702 Annie sounds like an HD650 that was made with a much more open soundstage, a bit faster, and not as reserved in the treble. Not to say they are better, but different in that the HD650's strength is it's intimacy, IMHO. The fact the K702 is more open, makes them not as intimate. Still, that is what I'd say they sound like.

so in other words the K702 anniversary sounds like the HD800 to you? L3000.gif

The HD800 (from the right setup) is the natural progression from the HD650 IMO. The oft recommended LCD-2 is more of a side-grade.

Queue the Audez'e defenders... ;-)
post #2156 of 4937

Queue me, the HD650 defender (after I was just attacking it!)  To me HD800 is more of a sidegrade on sound signature alone.

post #2157 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Queue me, the HD650 defender (after I was just attacking it!)  To me HD800 is more of a sidegrade on sound signature alone.

Well to me and from my rig, the HD800 maintains all the qualities of the HD650 I love and improves on its deficiencies. The HD800 is on a whole other level but it's not a completely different species. It's the uber HD650 IMO.
post #2158 of 4937

the hd 800 sounds nothing like the hd 650, its much more neutral and open sounding. way diffferent sound.

 

the lcd-2 sounds closer to the hd 650, quite a similar sound signature, except the lcd-2 is dark and linear whereas the hd 650 is dark and smooth

 

 

both headphones are on a completely different level from the HD 650s. both are huge upgrades IMO

post #2159 of 4937
I never said the HD800 sounded like the HD650.
post #2160 of 4937

A natural progression implies that it needs to sound pretty similar to what you're upgrading from.  Otherwise it's not so natural.  This is a hobby where sound signature alone can mean the difference between very enjoyable or completely unlistenable.  Queue the LCD-2 vs HD800 debates, the Sennheiser vs Grado debates etc-- and of course, the HD650 vs 800 debates.


Edited by TMRaven - 1/4/13 at 6:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)