Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 111

post #1651 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

If I could recommend one other flagship to add to the list it would be the SE 5-Way Reference. One of the best Customs if not the best on the market today. Not sure if he does business with US citizens anymore though.

Very nicely done comparison. The only point of view I disagree with is that of the PS1000. To me it's superior to the HD800 and T1. It's as detailed as any of those and makes the music come alive in a way only the LCD-3 can match, but in another way. The HD800 is slightly too sterile even with an amp like a Leben CS300.

Have you heard the CS300 and can compare to any other amp? 

Isn't there a Spiral Ears 7-Way? I've been curious to know why the 5-way gets a lot of praise but I don't hear much about the 7. Is it like the infamous JH13 vs JH16 or Heir 6.A vs 8.A?

 

EDIT: It seems I'm misinformed (slightly stupid). That being said, if I were to get customs, going by praise; I think I'd get the 5-Way. Plus they're Polish; there's some stereotypes regarding Polish engineers. (being incredible that is)


Edited by dleblanc343 - 12/11/12 at 8:21pm
post #1652 of 4945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm75 View Post

Thank You David!  What an incredible journey - thank you for sharing your thoughts on these gems.

Personally I went from SR-80, HD-580, K501, Stax SR-303 (bad decision), AD900, and now just enjoy the DT880 (600ohm) - for all practical purposes only one HP at a time. I'd have to agree on your value rating at least with the DT880 - I've heard many of the best you list and I have stopped here - I just cannot substantiate going higher.

I'm glad you enjoy the DT880! Especially the 600 ohm version.  It's a great headphone.  When I got my first DT880, it only came in an 250 ohm configuration.  But the 600 ohm sounds better. Thanks for the kind words:)

post #1653 of 4945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Isn't there a Spiral Ears 7-Way? I've been curious to know why the 5-way gets a lot of praise but I don't hear much about the 7. Is it like the infamous JH13 vs JH16 or Heir 6.A vs 8.A?

I've wanted to try the Heir line and the Unique Melody line. I wonder how they compare.

post #1654 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I had the PS1000 for quite a while and just couldn't get it to not sound bloated in the bass and siren-like in the upper mids.
But now I have Grado GS1000i phones and I like them a lot.
(I actually had the original GS1000s that I liked a lot and traded up to the PS1000s and was surprised how much I didn't like the PSs.)
There is a touch of high end accentuation in the GSs but it is somehow pleasant and sweet and exciting, like fresh air. It's a tube-like treble: all there and soaring but not piercing.

The bass is just a bit thumpy and opaque, but just a little. I love how the GSs carve out each image precisely, but not too analytically.
The mids and vocals are not quite as detailed as, say, HD800s or as smooth as silk as my AT W3000anvs or HE500s, but they have a lot of life and air.
In short, the GSs are refreshing and airy w/o being abrasive almost all the time, and can give me chills.
Piano is great with the GSs, where I feel each key come to life and fade with great harmonics; it's a very real piano somehow, maybe the best to my recollection.

The GSs do best with CDs that do not suffer from too much digititus, as they will not smooth out any digital harshness, and really benefit from Hi-Rez recordings more than other phones.
So I think I like my GS1000s overall more than my HD800s, and they are definitely go-to phones for me.

A couple of refreshingly different opinions which show the grados can stand their ground with the top flight. They will indeed be interesting to listen to. I'd like to add that my hd800s seem to benefit from burn I to an extent far more noticeable than the lcd2's. If sterile is the right word to describe I don't know. .... That's a scary word for audiophiles because it implies lifelessness and that might discourage some prospective punters.
The hd800s produce more detail and more soundstage and are simply accurate to the recording. If the music sounds sterile it's because either it is sterile or your source and amp are a mismatch to where they shine with your grados perhaps?
I'll bet your grados are really something if they make the hd800s sound sterile irrespective of amp or source. I have no regrets about buying the lcd2's or the hd800s because they have a different sound and both sound great.
But my appetite has been whetted towards the grados for the future. They seem to be like marmite, you either love em or you hate em:D
Edited by Takeanidea - 12/12/12 at 1:51am
post #1655 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

I've wanted to try the Heir line and the Unique Melody line. I wonder how they compare.

 

Here is the thread for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-24-reviews-ultimate-ears-personal-reference-monitor-added-12-08-12

post #1656 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

I had the PS1000 for quite a while and just couldn't get it to not sound bloated in the bass and siren-like in the upper mids.

But now I have Grado GS1000i phones and I like them a lot.

(I actually had the original GS1000s that I liked a lot and traded up to the PS1000s and was surprised how much I didn't like the PSs.)

There is a touch of high end accentuation in the GSs but it is somehow pleasant and sweet and exciting, like fresh air. It's a tube-like treble: all there and soaring but not piercing.

 

The bass is just a bit thumpy and opaque, but just a little. I love how the GSs carve out each image precisely, but not too analytically.

The mids and vocals are not quite as detailed as, say, HD800s or as smooth as silk as my AT W3000anvs or HE500s, but they have a lot of life and air.

In short, the GSs are refreshing and airy w/o being abrasive almost all the time, and can give me chills.

Piano is great with the GSs, where I feel each key come to life and fade with great harmonics; it's a very real piano somehow, maybe the best to my recollection.

 

The GSs do best with CDs that do not suffer from too much digititus, as they will not smooth out any digital harshness, and really benefit from Hi-Rez recordings more than other phones.

So I think I like my GS1000s overall more than my HD800s, and they are definitely go-to phones for me.

 

I feel the GS1000 is slightly too polite and thin, but then again I also listen to other stuff than only classical.

To me the PS1000 really is a substantial upgrade in SQ over the GS1000 given the right amp.

post #1657 of 4945

What amp do you use for your PS1000 - I could not get them sound right - very thumpy in bass and un-natural sound-stage (too big) ... it is like looking into a recording or musical venue with a microscope or a binocular ... I tried them with Traformatic  Head one (Single ended) and Hifiman HA-5 (Hybrid)

 

That being said - what is a good amp for HE-500

post #1658 of 4945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisunil View Post

What amp do you use for your PS1000 - I could not get them sound right - very thumpy in bass and un-natural sound-stage (too big) ... it is like looking into a recording or musical venue with a microscope or a binocular ... I tried them with Traformatic  Head one (Single ended) and Hifiman HA-5 (Hybrid)

 

That being said - what is a good amp for HE-500

I like the way the PS1000 sounds with the SPL Phonitor, but also the Manley Neo Classic 300B rounds out the top end nicely. 

For the HE-500, I like the Woo Audio 5 and 307a very much

post #1659 of 4945

you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

post #1660 of 4945

Do you think HE500 has better treble than HE6 ?

post #1661 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mm3r 0f th0r View Post

you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

If I could add.. That David has only heard the LCD2rev1 and they have different drivers. If you were to buy the LCD2's new they would have the newer drivers and are more balanced with regards to treble. IMO the HE500 does have a sweeter treble and it also has a brighter sound from the mids up. This will put more of a spotlight on details. The soundstage is wider, but the soundstage of the LCD2 is larger as a whole (more rounded). If you want great bass and beautiful mids as a priority then I'd go with the LCD2.2's, as they are technically better than the HE500's in that department. If you appreciate a more neutral perspective and would like a little more energy in the treble then go for HE500's. Don't get me wrong, the bass and mids on the HE500's are very good, just not as good as the LCD2.2's.

post #1662 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mm3r 0f th0r View Post

you have granted he500 an A+ and tops even the A+ list(or is it just coincidental?)... you gave the lcd-2s an A... which leads me to believe that the headphones are of the same quality sound-wise... which one do you think  is better?? is lcd2 worth the extra money?? i love sub bass and beautiful mids(non vocal)... can you tell me a small comparison of the soundstage/detail etc... i understand(from reviews) that he500 wins out in soundstage and detail in mids and treble

The HE500s are the better of the 2. (Meaning the LCD2 Rev2. The same goes for the Rev 1.) 

With LCD3s it's a much closer call.


Edited by rgs9200m - 12/13/12 at 6:52am
post #1663 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun7er View Post

Do you think HE500 has better treble than HE6 ?

 

I dont think so.

 

They are both great, but HE-6 should have better treble extension and texture/detail.

 

The HE-500 is no slouch of course, but for double the price, you get more details (micro details)

post #1664 of 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

The HE500s are the better of the 2. (Meaning the LCD2 Rev2. The same goes for the Rev 1.) 

With LCD3s it's a much closer call.

Yes but you also think that the HE500's are better than the HD800's, HE6's and LCD3's aswell If I remember you correctly... And with the pleathers!

 

For me, the LCD2's have better bass and mids and this seems to be what the op is after. They have better control/definition in this area and sound more cohesive and natural. If the op was more interested in sparkle and balance then  the HE500's can indeed offer a most pleasing listen with their slight bass hump and zing in the treble. 

post #1665 of 4945

Yes, for me, the HE500s are preferable to all of these. They are simply musical and non-fatiguing, have great deep solid bass, have ambience, have more than decent detail, and are just plain natural and I 

choose them often for my listening sessions and just don't want to take them off.

(Note: I especially like my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with them.)

 

I just yesterday found Tyll's Innerfidelity video review of the Hifiman phones and he seems to have come to the same conclusion that I have.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1q-WLnEL4

 

(I formed and posted my opinions of the HE500's virtues and superiority before I saw this, so Tyll and I formed these opinions independently.)

 

LCD3s are very fine also, with a bit more resolution and sometimes more profound bass, sometimes not, and I have a hard time choosing between the 2,

but FWIW, I tend to pick up the HE500s more often than the LCD3s.


Edited by rgs9200m - 12/13/12 at 10:10am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)