Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 99

post #1471 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisunil View Post

What a task David ... Congratulations!

You have done great service to the head-fiers ... I could not even dream of undertaking such a task ...

 

Need a little help ...

As of a few years ago ... re-cabled 701 used to be my favorite pair ... except they were uncomfortable on my head and I desired more bass out of them.

I went through most of Grados - all the way up the ladder ... found them too colored for my taste ...

Senn 600/650 with fancy cords ... Nah (too closed in)

 

I have HE-500 - I like them but I dream of HD-800 but read that they are hard to amp / match.

I picked up T1s during black friday (though I was not impressed by them during shows) ...

 

Is there an amp that makes T1 really shine (sound-stage is so important for me) 

Or am I better off with 800

 

Either way (800 or T1), I need a solid amp recommendation and finally balanced or single ended cable.

I have been hearing good things about Bryston's BHA-1 (except strange volume control)

 

Thanks

Sunil

Best amp synergy with the T1s was the WA2 (with TS5998, Siemens E88CC or Mullard CV2492 and Telefunken EZ80 tubes). End game amp for the T1s IMO.

post #1472 of 4937

David, where you at the Head-fi meet held in Queens NY (on Queens Blvd near the LI boarder) at the end of 2006? (or maybe it was the beginning of 2007).  And maybe you were starting with headphones.com at that time too?  I ask as I believe I met you there & then.  Am I mixing you up with someone?

post #1473 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Best amp synergy with the T1s was the WA2 (with TS5998, Siemens E88CC or Mullard CV2492 and Telefunken EZ80 tubes). End game amp for the T1s IMO.

Concur. That's exactly (down to the tube) what I'm running and I can't forsee ever splitting them up - I have no desire to spend the cash for balanced. The T1 + Woo2 provides immense musical pleasure for an almost affordable price tag.
post #1474 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim6 View Post

David I was able to purchase the Fostex TH900 for $1495 two days ago in Australia - I wonder what value rating you would have given them at that price???

 

Once again thanks for the excellent report.

Thanks!

 

Assuming you paid $1495 USD, and its new, that is a great value!  I would have given it a B or B- at that price.  But something's to be said for a high quality closed-back headphone.  I often like using the air conditioner when I listen to music, especially in the summer haha.  And, listening with an open back headphone and air conditioner in the same room is not an ideal experience.  So the TH900 is my preferred choice on those days, despite my preference of open back headphones usually. 

 

Quote:
O riginally Posted by silversurfer616 View Post

Almost more than this groundbreaking review,I do admire David's patience in answering all those questions a la "Where does my headphone fit in this?" etc.very_evil_smiley.gif
 

That's very nice of you to say! Thanks.  Hopefully, I haven't missed too many questions / comments.  Occasionally, I do, but I hope everyone knows that its never personal.  Again thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Yeah..his patience is worth noting..but..then again it shows he is a great guy..the world needs those people biggrin.gif

:D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisunil View Post

What a task David ... Congratulations!

You have done great service to the head-fiers ... I could not even dream of undertaking such a task ...

 

Need a little help ...

As of a few years ago ... re-cabled 701 used to be my favorite pair ... except they were uncomfortable on my head and I desired more bass out of them.

I went through most of Grados - all the way up the ladder ... found them too colored for my taste ...

Senn 600/650 with fancy cords ... Nah (too closed in)

 

I have HE-500 - I like them but I dream of HD-800 but read that they are hard to amp / match.

I picked up T1s during black friday (though I was not impressed by them during shows) ...

 

Is there an amp that makes T1 really shine (sound-stage is so important for me) 

Or am I better off with 800

 

Either way (800 or T1), I need a solid amp recommendation and finally balanced or single ended cable.

I have been hearing good things about Bryston's BHA-1 (except strange volume control)

 

Thanks

Sunil

The T1 sounds good with the SPL Auditor, though I do prefer it with tubes.  The HD800 is a bit more amp picky I think.  I think you may be happy with the T1.  It's got a wider presentation than the HD600, but with some of its depth. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post

David, where you at the Head-fi meet held in Queens NY (on Queens Blvd near the LI boarder) at the end of 2006? (or maybe it was the beginning of 2007).  And maybe you were starting with headphones.com at that time too?  I ask as I believe I met you there & then.  Am I mixing you up with someone?

that wouldn't be me:) but thats ok! I actually joined head-fi in July of 2007 and although I browsed the site frequently prior to that, I wouldn't have attended any meets without having been a member.  I joined Headphones.com actually not very long ago, last year.

post #1475 of 4937

David, any quick initial impressions of HE400 after listening to them for 2(3?) days so far? Positives/negatives that you perceive subjectively?

post #1476 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

David, any quick initial impressions of HE400 after listening to them for 2(3?) days so far? Positives/negatives that you perceive subjectively?

I'll be really quick and vague :)

I like them and I think at their price point, they may offer one of the more refined decay presentations I've heard.  I also like that you can pair then easily with a portable device (not for astounding results) but its more than listenable.  The quality of presentation keeps in line with the Hifiman line.  The tonality is not something I'm ready to make definitive comments on, because I've just not spent enough time (especially with the Velour pads).  It takes my brain several hours of burn-in for me to feel that I "get" a headphone's positives and weaknesses.  I often have bleh first impressions of headphones I end up really loving, and the opposite can happen sometimes too (though less likely).  

 

I will definitely be able to comment more as the week goes on, but I should have the review up soon.  As far as where it will rank, in order for me to really reflect my opinion accurately, it is a process for me.  It requires that I spend a lot of time flipping between the headphone in question and about 6 other headphones minimum to make sure that the area which I'll be ranking it is an accurate representation of my feelings.  If I go from the HE-400 to a K1000, the difference is enormous and it becomes like comparing apples and oranges, but after a bit of trial and tribulation, I can usually feel confident in my ranking.  There 's one ranking that even now I don't feel accurately reflects my opinion and I plan to revise it when I resume the review before Xmas.  Regarding the value of the HE400, I intend to compare it to the HD600, HD650, DT880 and HE-500 to determine the value.  The most important factors are how does it initially compare to similarly priced HD600 and how much better is the HE-500.

post #1477 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

I'll be really quick and vague :)

I like them and I think at their price point, they may offer one of the more refined decay presentations I've heard.  I also like that you can pair then easily with a portable device (not for astounding results) but its more than listenable.  The quality of presentation keeps in line with the Hifiman line.  The tonality is not something I'm ready to make definitive comments on, because I've just not spent enough time (especially with the Velour pads).  It takes my brain several hours of burn-in for me to feel that I "get" a headphone's positives and weaknesses.  I often have bleh first impressions of headphones I end up really loving, and the opposite can happen sometimes too (though less likely).  

 

I will definitely be able to comment more as the week goes on, but I should have the review up soon.  As far as where it will rank, in order for me to really reflect my opinion accurately, it is a process for me.  It requires that I spend a lot of time flipping between the headphone in question and about 6 other headphones minimum to make sure that the area which I'll be ranking it is an accurate representation of my feelings.  If I go from the HE-400 to a K1000, the difference is enormous and it becomes like comparing apples and oranges, but after a bit of trial and tribulation, I can usually feel confident in my ranking.  There 's one ranking that even now I don't feel accurately reflects my opinion and I plan to revise it when I resume the review before Xmas.  Regarding the value of the HE400, I intend to compare it to the HD600, HD650, DT880 and HE-500 to determine the value.  The most important factors are how does it initially compare to similarly priced HD600 and how much better is the HE-500.

 

I hope you don't have a preconceived bias that HE-500s would be better than HE-400s in every regard. In my opinion HE-400s have traits which bested my HE-500s (openness and a sense of space, dynamics, and the cleanness of bass).

post #1478 of 4937

Lol.  Let's not try to act too much like fanboys.  Remember HE-400 prides itself on not having an active appreciation thread.  wink.gif

post #1479 of 4937

In politics they call this "LOBBYING"!
 

post #1480 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Lol.  Let's not try to act too much like fanboys.  Remember HE-400 prides itself on not having an active appreciation thread.  wink.gif

I'll have to disagree with your evaluation of myself. I've become quite critical of headphones in recent months, and fact of matter is HE400s have strengths and weaknesses, ditto with my new HE500, relative to each other.

 

I did acquire a HE500 in case you haven't known lol, and I quite like it, certainly performs better than my HE400 in most of my music, but in terms of the technical merits I mentioned in the post above yours about those traits, HE400s are just better. I also observed them when I compared them at a local meet out of various amps/setups so it's not just an artifact of my setup.

 

The only reason why I did not abandon HE400 thread and go off to HE500 threads is because I don't have the funds available for setups costing many hundreds of dollars, so I wouldn't be at equal footing discussing things with other HE500 owners redface.gifAs for how I was able to acquire a HE500 despite being poor, you'll have to PM me about it hehe.


Edited by jerg - 12/1/12 at 10:50pm
post #1481 of 4937

which version of the hd650's did you test ? is the drivers silver you can look at it through the grill. 

post #1482 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

 

I hope you don't have a preconceived bias that HE-500s would be better than HE-400s in every regard. In my opinion HE-400s have traits which bested my HE-500s (openness and a sense of space, dynamics, and the cleanness of bass).

 

Your problems with the HE-500 come from insufficient amping. 

 

The HE-500 doesn't have big power requirements by most high end headphone standards, but it certainly requires more than a Fiio E17 could provide, like ten times more.

post #1483 of 4937
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

 

I hope you don't have a preconceived bias that HE-500s would be better than HE-400s in every regard. In my opinion HE-400s have traits which bested my HE-500s (openness and a sense of space, dynamics, and the cleanness of bass).

it's not a preconceived bias.  It's a hope based on how manufacturer's price their products.  For instance, the HD700 didn't compare favorably for me to the HD650/HD600.  But I came to this conclusion when I compared the three directly.  Your initial suspicion (at least mine) was that the HD700 would be superior.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Lol.  Let's not try to act too much like fanboys.  Remember HE-400 prides itself on not having an active appreciation thread.  wink.gif

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzupi View Post

which version of the hd650's did you test ? is the drivers silver you can look at it through the grill. 

I believe its the silver.  I'll check later:)

post #1484 of 4937

Pity no one has not re-made the Wharfedale Isodynamic phones!

post #1485 of 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisunil View Post

What a task David ... Congratulations!
You have done great service to the head-fiers ... I could not even dream of undertaking such a task ...

Need a little help ...
As of a few years ago ... re-cabled 701 used to be my favorite pair ... except they were uncomfortable on my head and I desired more bass out of them.
I went through most of Grados - all the way up the ladder ... found them too colored for my taste ...
Senn 600/650 with fancy cords ... Nah (too closed in)

I have HE-500 - I like them but I dream of HD-800 but read that they are hard to amp / match.
I picked up T1s during black friday (though I was not impressed by them during shows) ...

Is there an amp that makes T1 really shine (sound-stage is so important for me) 
Or am I better off with 800

Either way (800 or T1), I need a solid amp recommendation and finally balanced or single ended cable.
I have been hearing good things about Bryston's BHA-1 (except strange volume control)

Thanks
Sunil
Violectric v200 maybe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)