different strokes for different folks for different music. All that matters is what you like! Enjoy the music!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 7/20/13 at 5:59am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- Selling off my IEMs, looking for a good full size can replacement Last post on 9/15/12 at 5:49am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) - Page 87post #1291 of 484711/25/12 at 9:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1292 of 484711/25/12 at 9:15amQuote:
He said they were a top performer on the MEASUREMENT front. What is 'relevant evidence' in your case? Is it measurements? Hopefully not. Honestly this is getting to the point that's well beyond comical. You've already sorta disowned the LCD-3 multiple times just because its FR and square wave graphs weren't as pretty as the LCD-2.post #1295 of 484711/25/12 at 9:27am
Didn't you read my post? The majority of amps will measure with the exact same dead flat frequency response, and distortion or noise floor numbers far below the audible threshold, yet they all sound different. Unless the measurements show something EXTREMELY off, they are not what you should be looking for from an amp.
Why would you not be satisfied with the LCD-3? It's well regarded as a complete step up from LCD-2. Honestly, your obsession with measurements is ridiculous. I like a good looking set of measurements, but this is comical.post #1296 of 484711/25/12 at 9:35ampost #1297 of 484711/25/12 at 9:38amQuote:
You know there's more to having a conversation that talking and waiting to talk. (there's a listening part somewhere in there).
Again, read Currawong's link about measurements (and my article on innerfidelity). Where measuring the EXACT same pair of headphones yielded different measurements.
The LCD-2s and LCD-3s measure about the same with a slight edge to the LCD-3s (deeper bass and better %THD). The older LCD-3 plots were from pre-RMA pairs and ARE NOT VALID!!!!! But when you actually PUT THEM ON YOUR HEAD, the differences are quite stark in favour of the LCD-3s. Of course you can't say much more as you've NEVER heard them.post #1299 of 484711/25/12 at 9:42amQuote:Originally Posted by MHOE
Didn't you read my posts about what I require from an amp and DAC? You are free to find it... If an amp/DAC do not offer it, it's not good enough for me.
I would not be satisfied with LCD-3 because they measure worse, are less neutral than LCD-2 rev2 and cost 2x more... I want from 2000USD to be twice better in all my requirements, at least. I guess only Stax SR009 would do it for me for 2000 - 3000USD. But certainly not for the price of 10000+USD.
Please stop derailing this thread.post #1301 of 484711/25/12 at 9:55am
For the LAST TIME:
LCD-2 and LCD-3:
1.) Bass goes deeper on the LCD-3s and doesn't drop off until 40Hzish, while on the LCD-2 Rev. 2s its 60Hz.
2.) The upper mids roll off faster on the LCD-2s (not a good thing as female vocals can sound withdrawn and too laid back). On the LCD-2s, the roll off starts at 1kHz and on the LCD-3s its closer to 2kHz.
3.) Treble is a bit too subdued on the LCD-2s when compared to the LCD-3s.
The 30kHz square wave responses seem within the tolerances of the measuring devices, so let's call them about the same. But on the 300Hz graph, you will see that the first spike on the LCD-3s is larger than on the LCD-2s. This is a good thing. Its what likely gives the LCD-3s the better ability to image. When I was talking to Tyll, he thought that was why the LCD-2s imaged so poorly. That equal double spike likely caused one to hear the same thing twice and thus collapse the sound stage.
Now % THD, the difference in %THD between 90 and 100dB on the LCD-3s shows that the drivers are better responding to the inputs while on the LCD-2s, they're more jumbled together (not as good as the LCD-3s, though still very good).
Now even with everything I mentioned above, there is the limitations of the measurement systems. I STRONGLY suggest you read both of these BEFORE commenting further to help open your horizons on the subject:
Now, how does one quantify, imaging, transparency, PRaT, detail retrieval, etc....? These are all very valuable pieces of information that you're totally missing!
So, please just move on. Yes, your LCD-2 r.2s are fantastic headphones, but not the last word in terms of being the best there out there. Nor is your opinion or ability to interpret these graphs the last word. So please start your own thread (as the Moderator asked you to) and stop ruining this brilliant thread.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/25/12 at 9:56ampost #1302 of 484711/25/12 at 9:57amQuote:
Yes they are and it is quantifiable...just read my post above.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/25/12 at 9:58ampost #1304 of 484711/25/12 at 10:11amQuote:Originally Posted by MHOE
All I can say about your view on the graphs is - I do see them in a completely different way.
Everything you've said, from your evaluation of bass FR, treble, %THD+noise and pretty everything is a nonsense to me and it does not matter whether I look at it with my glasses on or off, or change resolution of my screen.
I will let anyone to create his/her own opinion then...
If anyone is interested - there is no single measurement where LCD-3 are better from those graphs above. Feel free to PM me for more info...
Imagine that...someone actually describes the measurements and why A is better than B and all you have to say is "pretty everything is a nonsense to me and it does not matter whether I look at it with my glasses on or off, or change resolution of my screen."
God forbid that you actually "read the graphs" that clearly show my points mentioned previously.
You win...I can't argue with that logic.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/25/12 at 10:14ampost #1305 of 484711/25/12 at 10:12am
Once again, MHOE, I think you need to start your own thread, in which you review headphones based solely on their measurements--including headphones you have never heard. And, once again, this isn't the thread to do it in.
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › v-moda m100 25 seconds ago
- › Battlefield 4 32 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › HD800 vs LCD-X vs HE-6 vs SR-007 for critical listening and... 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 or P7 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 7 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude