Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: SoundMAGIC HP200 - An Excellent Open Back Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: SoundMAGIC HP200 - An Excellent Open Back Headphone - Page 6

post #76 of 98
I don't use bass boost, sorry. I just use my borderline bass head cans when I need.

I can say, however, that the bass on these are about as neutral as it gets. Actually, the K612's bass was more linear towards neutrality, and these have more. Mind you I use 1540 alcantara pads on mine, and I believe they actually warm up the sound slightly.
post #77 of 98

These has really caught my interest lately.

 

Personally I feel that SM priced them too high. It might sound stupid to say since I've not even heard them but what I mean is that they're similary priced like some very well respected headphones (HE-400, DT880/990, SR325, Q701, HD600/650 etc). This makes competition pretty tough and since these will not be available for audituion for most people it's a pretty high fence to jump getting them.

 

As a person who loves full sized open cans and hidden gems I'm interested in the HP200 but I need more information so I turned to this thread for some advice and have some questions:

 

@Change is Good do you still have the k612 and if so care to do a mini comparsion between them and the HP200?

 

What about other comparsions to the headphones mentioned above?

 

post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

These has really caught my interest lately.



 



Personally I feel that SM priced them too high. It might sound stupid to say since I've not even heard them but what I mean is that they're similary priced like some very well respected headphones (HE-400, DT880/990, SR325, Q701, HD600/650 etc). This makes competition pretty tough and since these will not be available for audituion for most people it's a pretty high fence to jump getting them.



 



As a person who loves full sized open cans and hidden gems I'm interested in the HP200 but I need more information so I turned to this thread for some advice and have some questions:



 



@Change is Good
 do you still have the k612 and if so care to do a mini comparsion between them and the HP200?



 



What about other comparsions to the headphones mentioned above?



 



These HP200s have actually fallen under the radar at it's price, but I can say that they compete very well with those you mentioned. I actually like them better than both the K612 and Q701.

Compared to the K612, they are nearly identical. The only major difference is the K612 has a larger soundstage and the HP200 has slightly more bass. I ended up keeping the HP200 and selling the K612.
post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


These HP200s have actually fallen under the radar at it's price, but I can say that they compete very well with those you mentioned. I actually like them better than both the K612 and Q701.

Compared to the K612, they are nearly identical. The only major difference is the K612 has a larger soundstage and the HP200 has slightly more bass. I ended up keeping the HP200 and selling the K612.

Thank you!

 

Problem is still pricing and availability. If MP4nation restock them for $250 I'll probably try them.

 

One last question: Is the HP300 supposed to be closed or open?

post #80 of 98
Thread Starter 

Closed I think, with wood back. But Tony is very busy with other products at the moment, he said that it will use a completely different driver than HP100/HP200

post #81 of 98
OK, thanks.
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post

Closed I think, with wood back. But Tony is very busy with other products at the moment, he said that it will use a completely different driver than HP100/HP200

Mighty intriguing, any word about the pricing?
post #83 of 98
Thread Starter 

not yet

post #84 of 98

How would these be for rap/hiphop music? I'm worried the bass will be too light for my taste.

 

The philips x1 had the right amount of bass for me, any less and they would be bass light for me.

post #85 of 98
Thread Starter 
Maybe it would be a little light for your tastes.
post #86 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post

Maybe it would be a little light for your tastes.

What about the soundmagic HP100? Does that one have similar bass quantity?

post #87 of 98
Thread Starter 
Yes HP100 would be more suitable for your needs. Also remember both models sound better amped
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post

Yes HP100 would be more suitable for your needs. Also remember both models sound better amped

How does the HP100 compare to the X1 in terms of bass quantity and overall sound?

post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

This thread needs to be revived. People have really been sleeping on this wonderful headphone smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted to ask if you are still using the HP200s and how they sound now that you have had some time with them? DO you think they are on par with headphones like the Shure 1840, 1440, Senn HD600, 650? I was just curious because I have wanted these ever since I have seen the soundmagic over the ear phones come out. I had the Hp100 and really enjoyed it for a closed headphone, but I prefer open back. Please let me know what you think and if you also think that this would sound okay with the Shciit vali amp? because I heard they are very similar to HD650s and that the 650's sound good with the warmish sound product with the Vali

post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJacks View Post
 

I wanted to ask if you are still using the HP200s and how they sound now that you have had some time with them? DO you think they are on par with headphones like the Shure 1840, 1440, Senn HD600, 650? I was just curious because I have wanted these ever since I have seen the soundmagic over the ear phones come out. I had the Hp100 and really enjoyed it for a closed headphone, but I prefer open back. Please let me know what you think and if you also think that this would sound okay with the Shciit vali amp? because I heard they are very similar to HD650s and that the 650's sound good with the warmish sound product with the Vali

 

I have only owned the SRH1840 out of those you mentioned, which is supposed to sound similar to the HD600 (FWIR). I think it is safe to say these fall in the same ballpark.

 

Never heard the 650, but highly doubt these sound similar because I've read that headphone has more of a n-shaped curve. The HP200 is far from n-shaped... rather neutral, actually...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: SoundMAGIC HP200 - An Excellent Open Back Headphone