A (better/good) DAC to get quality signal. A (better/good) amplifier to power the headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 5/17/13 at 3:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) Last post on 12/4/13 at 10:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 11/26/13 at 3:36pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'e done my due diligence so far......... Last post on 11/13/13 at 6:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks - Page 2post #16 of 282/26/13 at 2:20pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 283/25/13 at 11:05am
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC.
I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?post #18 of 283/25/13 at 11:29amThread StarterQuote:
I have the HE-6 (feel free to subs for the HE-500) + the Mini-X + NFB 3.32
I think it is a really good starting setup.
The amp is excellent. Enough power for anything with lots of headroom. Transparent and neutral. The instrument separation is great the soundstaging is slightly speaker like (left - right - center, but also in between, so kinda 3D with slight tilt towards 3 blob imaging) nonetheless decent and for the money excellent
The DAC is also pretty good. Very neutral and transparent. provides both visceral bass and great midrange as well as precise airy vocals.
Soundstage is slightly intimate so not the hugest but again really good instrument separation.
The amp is not as revealing or detailed as the higher end offerings but makes almost anything listenable thanks to that.
I think this combo is really good. Honestly, the best sound I have heard so far.
For a starting setup, with budget dac+amp, you cant ask for much more. Very satisfied.
Check my sig for the full review (HP review, amp and DAC impressions)post #19 of 283/25/13 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :Ppost #20 of 283/25/13 at 12:44pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Drsparis
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :P
You are welcome :)
As long as you like it, everything is magnificent :)
My next DAC will probably be one with the Sabre ES9018 or PCM1704UK if still used by that time :)
The amp alone is a bargain already so I recommend going with the Mini (which is not so mini after all...)post #21 of 285/31/13 at 6:48pmI just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?post #22 of 286/1/13 at 1:19amThread StarterQuote:
Yes it most definitely will.
It is an amazing amp for the HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-500 for the moneypost #23 of 286/1/13 at 5:05ampost #24 of 286/1/13 at 10:08amThread StarterQuote:
Sure, but do keep in mind that more expensive doesnt always mean better. Its always better to do a little research before purchasing the said amplifier,
That sad, good luck with the Mini, its a proven amp. I am sure you will like itpost #25 of 286/8/13 at 6:40pmpost #26 of 286/8/13 at 6:58pmQuote:
A DAC is simply a digital to analogue converter. It takes the digital signal from your PC and converts it to an analogue signal which is then sent to your headphones through your amp.post #27 of 2810/23/13 at 5:16pm
- DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 27 seconds ago
- › Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650) 35 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 36 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 7 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude