A (better/good) DAC to get quality signal. A (better/good) amplifier to power the headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Speaker cables for headphones? Last post on Yesterday at 10:24 pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- $1000 Challenge - List your best amp/headphone pairing that can be had for $1000 or less Last post on 4/8/14 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) Last post on 3/31/14 at 12:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks - Page 2post #16 of 282/26/13 at 2:20pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 283/25/13 at 11:05am
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC.
I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?post #18 of 283/25/13 at 11:29amThread StarterQuote:
I have the HE-6 (feel free to subs for the HE-500) + the Mini-X + NFB 3.32
I think it is a really good starting setup.
The amp is excellent. Enough power for anything with lots of headroom. Transparent and neutral. The instrument separation is great the soundstaging is slightly speaker like (left - right - center, but also in between, so kinda 3D with slight tilt towards 3 blob imaging) nonetheless decent and for the money excellent
The DAC is also pretty good. Very neutral and transparent. provides both visceral bass and great midrange as well as precise airy vocals.
Soundstage is slightly intimate so not the hugest but again really good instrument separation.
The amp is not as revealing or detailed as the higher end offerings but makes almost anything listenable thanks to that.
I think this combo is really good. Honestly, the best sound I have heard so far.
For a starting setup, with budget dac+amp, you cant ask for much more. Very satisfied.
Check my sig for the full review (HP review, amp and DAC impressions)post #19 of 283/25/13 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :Ppost #20 of 283/25/13 at 12:44pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Drsparis
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :P
You are welcome :)
As long as you like it, everything is magnificent :)
My next DAC will probably be one with the Sabre ES9018 or PCM1704UK if still used by that time :)
The amp alone is a bargain already so I recommend going with the Mini (which is not so mini after all...)post #21 of 285/31/13 at 6:48pmI just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?post #22 of 286/1/13 at 1:19amThread StarterQuote:
Yes it most definitely will.
It is an amazing amp for the HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-500 for the moneypost #23 of 286/1/13 at 5:05ampost #24 of 286/1/13 at 10:08amThread StarterQuote:
Sure, but do keep in mind that more expensive doesnt always mean better. Its always better to do a little research before purchasing the said amplifier,
That sad, good luck with the Mini, its a proven amp. I am sure you will like itpost #25 of 286/8/13 at 6:40pmpost #26 of 286/8/13 at 6:58pmQuote:
A DAC is simply a digital to analogue converter. It takes the digital signal from your PC and converts it to an analogue signal which is then sent to your headphones through your amp.post #27 of 2810/23/13 at 5:16pm
- DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › AKG K812 Pro 45 seconds ago
- › Want To Know Your Opinion About Getting 1000 $ IEM. 1 minute ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 3 minutes ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob