A (better/good) DAC to get quality signal. A (better/good) amplifier to power the headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- which is the best headphone with bass punch and good sq Last post on 10/4/14 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Emotiva Mini-X vs Bottlehead S.E.X. Last post on 5/2/14 at 11:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Speaker cables for headphones? Last post on 4/21/14 at 8:13pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks - Page 2post #16 of 282/26/13 at 2:20pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 283/25/13 at 11:05am
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC.
I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?post #18 of 283/25/13 at 11:29amThread StarterQuote:
I have the HE-6 (feel free to subs for the HE-500) + the Mini-X + NFB 3.32
I think it is a really good starting setup.
The amp is excellent. Enough power for anything with lots of headroom. Transparent and neutral. The instrument separation is great the soundstaging is slightly speaker like (left - right - center, but also in between, so kinda 3D with slight tilt towards 3 blob imaging) nonetheless decent and for the money excellent
The DAC is also pretty good. Very neutral and transparent. provides both visceral bass and great midrange as well as precise airy vocals.
Soundstage is slightly intimate so not the hugest but again really good instrument separation.
The amp is not as revealing or detailed as the higher end offerings but makes almost anything listenable thanks to that.
I think this combo is really good. Honestly, the best sound I have heard so far.
For a starting setup, with budget dac+amp, you cant ask for much more. Very satisfied.
Check my sig for the full review (HP review, amp and DAC impressions)post #19 of 283/25/13 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :Ppost #20 of 283/25/13 at 12:44pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Drsparis
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :P
You are welcome :)
As long as you like it, everything is magnificent :)
My next DAC will probably be one with the Sabre ES9018 or PCM1704UK if still used by that time :)
The amp alone is a bargain already so I recommend going with the Mini (which is not so mini after all...)post #21 of 285/31/13 at 6:48pmI just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?post #22 of 286/1/13 at 1:19amThread StarterQuote:
Yes it most definitely will.
It is an amazing amp for the HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-500 for the moneypost #23 of 286/1/13 at 5:05ampost #24 of 286/1/13 at 10:08amThread StarterQuote:
Sure, but do keep in mind that more expensive doesnt always mean better. Its always better to do a little research before purchasing the said amplifier,
That sad, good luck with the Mini, its a proven amp. I am sure you will like itpost #25 of 286/8/13 at 6:40pmpost #26 of 286/8/13 at 6:58pmQuote:
A DAC is simply a digital to analogue converter. It takes the digital signal from your PC and converts it to an analogue signal which is then sent to your headphones through your amp.post #27 of 2810/23/13 at 5:16pm
- DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Objectivists board room 23 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 54 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 59 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 4 minutes ago
- › Radius HP-NHR-21 tour...a great bass-head earphone 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 8 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 8 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 9 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear