A (better/good) DAC to get quality signal. A (better/good) amplifier to power the headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Speaker cables for headphones? Last post on 4/21/14 at 8:13pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- $1000 Challenge - List your best amp/headphone pairing that can be had for $1000 or less Last post on 4/8/14 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) Last post on 3/31/14 at 12:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks - Page 2post #16 of 282/26/13 at 2:20pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 283/25/13 at 11:05am
Curious about the pairing, I just picked up a pair of HE-500's and will be investing in a Emotiva mini-x. and one of the audio gd products looked tempting as a DAC.
I'm guessing OP has combo now. How do you like it?post #18 of 283/25/13 at 11:29amThread StarterQuote:
I have the HE-6 (feel free to subs for the HE-500) + the Mini-X + NFB 3.32
I think it is a really good starting setup.
The amp is excellent. Enough power for anything with lots of headroom. Transparent and neutral. The instrument separation is great the soundstaging is slightly speaker like (left - right - center, but also in between, so kinda 3D with slight tilt towards 3 blob imaging) nonetheless decent and for the money excellent
The DAC is also pretty good. Very neutral and transparent. provides both visceral bass and great midrange as well as precise airy vocals.
Soundstage is slightly intimate so not the hugest but again really good instrument separation.
The amp is not as revealing or detailed as the higher end offerings but makes almost anything listenable thanks to that.
I think this combo is really good. Honestly, the best sound I have heard so far.
For a starting setup, with budget dac+amp, you cant ask for much more. Very satisfied.
Check my sig for the full review (HP review, amp and DAC impressions)post #19 of 283/25/13 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :Ppost #20 of 283/25/13 at 12:44pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Drsparis
Thanks for the quick update on this oldish thread :) glad to hear it, so far i have a 0404 on it's way ( a suggestion from LFF) eventually I will upgrade and for now this is the way I will go i think, unless another better ''budget'' DAC comes out within the next 6 months, might upgrade cables and amp first then look at new DAC to replace the 0404 but I think it will be good for a while as it seems to have a great and uber silent DAC in it (It just happens to be fugly) :P
You are welcome :)
As long as you like it, everything is magnificent :)
My next DAC will probably be one with the Sabre ES9018 or PCM1704UK if still used by that time :)
The amp alone is a bargain already so I recommend going with the Mini (which is not so mini after all...)post #21 of 285/31/13 at 6:48pmI just ordered a MiniX for my 5LE. The Kyr sounded alright but not fantastic. The Burson Soloist sounds good but it's congested because it lacks power for the cans.you think he MiniX will satisfy me?post #22 of 286/1/13 at 1:19amThread StarterQuote:
Yes it most definitely will.
It is an amazing amp for the HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-500 for the moneypost #23 of 286/1/13 at 5:05ampost #24 of 286/1/13 at 10:08amThread StarterQuote:
Sure, but do keep in mind that more expensive doesnt always mean better. Its always better to do a little research before purchasing the said amplifier,
That sad, good luck with the Mini, its a proven amp. I am sure you will like itpost #25 of 286/8/13 at 6:40pmpost #26 of 286/8/13 at 6:58pmQuote:
A DAC is simply a digital to analogue converter. It takes the digital signal from your PC and converts it to an analogue signal which is then sent to your headphones through your amp.post #27 of 2810/23/13 at 5:16pm
- DAC for the HE-500/HE-6 under 400 bucks
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Trafomatic Audio - TakeT H2+ amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4! Sydney, Australia Meet! 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 4 minutes ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: Sony XBA H3 Review and... 4 minutes ago
- › Gear advice, vinyl upgrade 4 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude