Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Chicago area HP meet - November 17th - ChiUniFi 6.5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago area HP meet - November 17th - ChiUniFi 6.5 - Page 6  

post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

well, congrats, and I'm sorry to hear that dude.  hopefully another one soon.

Thanks.  Really hate to miss it, I'm close to making a directional decision of stats vs planars (Stax vs. Hifiman), getting to hear both in real listeners' systems the same day is tough to pass up.

 

Also want to hear that Leben. 

post #77 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter0 View Post

Thanks.  Really hate to miss it, I'm close to making a directional decision of stats vs planars (Stax vs. Hifiman), getting to hear both in real listeners' systems the same day is tough to pass up.

 

Also want to hear that Leben. 

well, to make you feel better, mine is the original sr-lambda setup.  not the 007 or 009.  the hifiman will have better bass I think.  and that seems to be the area of contention for everyone.  I'd put my lambda's mids and highs up agains it easily though. lol.   depends what kind of music you want to listen to.

 

I am also going to try to spread our tables so they are further apart.  that will help with actual listening.  People talk a lot at these events.  I'm one of them. lol.

post #78 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaHeadFi View Post

What would be the speaker setup?  Yes, we are all head-fiers/headphone enthusiasts, but most of us are also "audiophiles" write large, also loving conventional stereo.  (For some of us, love of stereo may even come first!)  So a stereo setup will certainly be appreciated.  In fact, it may serve as a great reference-creator for when people go back and forth between listening to headphones, to remind us what "regular" stereo sounds like from time to time.  (Like smelling coffee beans between colognes or perfumes, or a lemon palate cleanser between meals, etc.).

 

If this is simply an interest-check, then my vote is yes!  But Keith, don't go breaking your back when you've already bent over backwards to help make this thing happen.

 

In fact, if you don't already have a stereo system lined up (I didn't see one listed in your profile...) I volunteer my Paradigm Studio 10-based set-up...  I'm sure others attending have superior systems, but again I'll put it out there in case alternatives don't show up soon.  Note: I've been having some strange channel failure problems lately and haven't had time/funds to get the amp checked out (perhaps one of our sagely DIYers could take a look for me for free...) but the system mostly works.

 

Anyhow, someone, anyone, esp. Keith, let me know if you think I should bring my bookshelf speakers, amp (modded Music Hall), and sub (Velodyne).

 

I'll be there regardless, speaker room or not.

Hey bud, how efficient are your speakers.  i'm thinking of bringing my restored fisher 500c tube amp.  but if they need tons of power, I wont bother with it.

post #79 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter0 View Post

Sterling, @ Newman Catholic.  Daughter's school is Aurora Christian, defending 3A champs.  Should be a good game, looks like Newman is run oriented, ACS is pass oriented but ran all over Winnebago last week in a 2nd-half blowout. 

 

Davenport - I picked up a beat up Pilot console out there last summer at an antique shop, pulled out an SA-232 amp with SP-210 pre (excellent late '50's tube gear).  Need to hang out there more often :)


Have u been to Ragged Records downtown? Great spot for new and old rock and electronica.

post #80 of 103

Going to make a serious effort to be there.  If I make it, I'll bring:

Heavily modded Shanling CD1000 tube cd player

Denon D7000

Woo WA6

Senn. HD700

Laptop

Headroom Home

PS audio DLIII

 

Hibuck....

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytown View Post


Have u been to Ragged Records downtown? Great spot for new and old rock and electronica.

Nope - didn't know about it - thanks for the tip.  I'll look for it next time I'm out that way.

post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

well, to make you feel better, mine is the original sr-lambda setup.  not the 007 or 009.  the hifiman will have better bass I think.  and that seems to be the area of contention for everyone.  I'd put my lambda's mids and highs up agains it easily though. lol.   depends what kind of music you want to listen to.

 

I am also going to try to spread our tables so they are further apart.  that will help with actual listening.  People talk a lot at these events.  I'm one of them. lol.

whoa, 007's and 009's are too rich for me!  407's are more my budget, so your SR-Lambda's would probably give me the Lambda "house sound", at least;  yours are normal bias, right?. 

 

I listen to a wide variety of music; tonality and coherency (particularly in "big" music) are my main criteria.  I am suspicious of the stats getting congested/breaking up, planars might be better suited all 'rounders. 

 

it's kind of funny, every hifi meet-up I have been to, sound level always creeps up as listeners crank it up to cover the talkers, lol

post #83 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter0 View Post

whoa, 007's and 009's are too rich for me!  407's are more my budget, so your SR-Lambda's would probably give me the Lambda "house sound", at least;  yours are normal bias, right?. 

 

I listen to a wide variety of music; tonality and coherency (particularly in "big" music) are my main criteria.  I am suspicious of the stats getting congested/breaking up, planars might be better suited all 'rounders. 

 

it's kind of funny, every hifi meet-up I have been to, sound level always creeps up as listeners crank it up to cover the talkers, lol

Yes, I have the original sr-lambdas.  I researched a lot, and often, these get rated way above their probias counterparts.  I love them.  I've never heard them get congested, so I am anxious to hear your thoughts.

 

Yes, to get really good listening in, I get there in the morning when its quiet (er).. We sound people have the gift of gab.

 

Dont forget about the MUSIC EXCHANGE TABLE everyone.  I've got about a foot of cds to bring so far, and its growing.

post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

Hey bud, how efficient are your speakers.  i'm thinking of bringing my restored fisher 500c tube amp.  but if they need tons of power, I wont bother with it.

 

86dB with 8ohms nominal impedance, so depending on playlist and ambient noise (friendly chatter), your 32 watts (ish?) should be able to make them play fine.

 

 

Paradigm recommends an amp of 15-150 watts -  see the webpage for more.  My amp is rated at 50wpc/8ohms and I usually listen at lower volumes and still get a good dynamic presentation.

post #85 of 103

I'm bringing my HRT MS Pro to the even also along with a couple other for sale items if that's ok?

post #86 of 103
Thread Starter 

I decided not to bring the fisher.  its hella heavy, and ive got a bunch of stuff to do that day.  I will bring my sansui, just in case we want to roll with that.

post #87 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

I'm bringing my HRT MS Pro to the even also along with a couple other for sale items if that's ok?

sure, there arnt any rules that I know about.  

post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I decided not to bring the fisher.  its hella heavy, and ive got a bunch of stuff to do that day.  I will bring my sansui, just in case we want to roll with that.

Roger, Roger.  What's your vector Victor?

post #89 of 103

The founder of ChiUniFi, Billy (bhd812) will be able to make the meet.  He really created ChiUniFi so he would always have a birthday party. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

 

 

Be sure to wish him a Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #90 of 103
Looking forward to it! Just to confirm, we start at 10?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Chicago area HP meet - November 17th - ChiUniFi 6.5