what does it mean when you guys say "Roll off" ?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productLogitech UE 900tagged by System, 11/2/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 11/2/12
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Westone 4r vs Shure SE535 ( L.E. RED ) VS Regular Shure 535 REQ:( best Punchy bass ) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:28pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4r vs Shure se535 (Bass only) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for first audiophile iems Last post on 10/29/13 at 11:10am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Response between UE900, Westone 4R, and SE535? Last post on 10/23/13 at 1:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
Shure se535 Bronze vs Ultimate Ears UE900 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 216/12/13 at 8:47pmRoll off, sound frequency dips below a desired level. Meaning it does not extend as, in the case of treble, as high a frequency, or in the case of bass, as low a frequency.post #18 of 216/12/13 at 8:48pmA quick google search produced this:
The expression stems from the notion of plotting the audio frequency range of a component in the form of a graph.
You place the audio frequency range along the horizontal axis and the output along the vertical in decibels (db's).
Ideally the component should not exhibit a deviation in its output from the lowest to the highest frequencies. When plotted this is said to be a 'flat response' but this does not always occur, particularly with transducers and when you plot this you'll see a 'roll off' where the response ceases to be 'flat'.
In such instances there is therefore less of the particular frequencies being reproduced.
The steepness of the roll-off plays an important role too.
Generally it's is held a flat response from 20hz to 20khz is desirable for HiFI components.
Does that help?post #19 of 216/12/13 at 10:30pm
also could be said in terms of extension, ie: highs dont extend to a certain frequency or extend to only a certain frequency but not any higher.
also could be thought of as decay, roll off would mean the decay happens faster not allowing full representation of say a cymbal crash
these are just terms and explanations that come to mind when thinking of the 535. i thought it was really crappy that shure decided to do this with the 535 and not give full extension to the highs. its said higher entension could be had with different nozzle filters. and you might be able to improve the extension of the highs, but that really depends on weather or not you want to fool with the nozzle and fool with the filters.post #20 of 216/13/13 at 7:24amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure se535 Bronze vs Ultimate Ears UE900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Band Name Game II 24 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - HiFiman visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.084! pg. 1 3 minutes ago
- › Jazz Recommendations from this Century 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More... 6 minutes ago
- › The Monoprice NEW! MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club.. 7 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude