what does it mean when you guys say "Roll off" ?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productLogitech UE 900tagged by System, 11/2/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 11/2/12
- productShure SE535LTD REDtagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Westone 4r vs Shure SE535 ( L.E. RED ) VS Regular Shure 535 REQ:( best Punchy bass ) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:28pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4r vs Shure se535 (Bass only) Last post on 11/28/12 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for first audiophile iems Last post on 10/29/13 at 11:10am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Response between UE900, Westone 4R, and SE535? Last post on 10/23/13 at 1:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
Shure se535 Bronze vs Ultimate Ears UE900 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 216/12/13 at 8:47pmRoll off, sound frequency dips below a desired level. Meaning it does not extend as, in the case of treble, as high a frequency, or in the case of bass, as low a frequency.post #18 of 216/12/13 at 8:48pmA quick google search produced this:
The expression stems from the notion of plotting the audio frequency range of a component in the form of a graph.
You place the audio frequency range along the horizontal axis and the output along the vertical in decibels (db's).
Ideally the component should not exhibit a deviation in its output from the lowest to the highest frequencies. When plotted this is said to be a 'flat response' but this does not always occur, particularly with transducers and when you plot this you'll see a 'roll off' where the response ceases to be 'flat'.
In such instances there is therefore less of the particular frequencies being reproduced.
The steepness of the roll-off plays an important role too.
Generally it's is held a flat response from 20hz to 20khz is desirable for HiFI components.
Does that help?post #19 of 216/12/13 at 10:30pm
also could be said in terms of extension, ie: highs dont extend to a certain frequency or extend to only a certain frequency but not any higher.
also could be thought of as decay, roll off would mean the decay happens faster not allowing full representation of say a cymbal crash
these are just terms and explanations that come to mind when thinking of the 535. i thought it was really crappy that shure decided to do this with the 535 and not give full extension to the highs. its said higher entension could be had with different nozzle filters. and you might be able to improve the extension of the highs, but that really depends on weather or not you want to fool with the nozzle and fool with the filters.post #20 of 216/13/13 at 7:24amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure se535 Bronze vs Ultimate Ears UE900
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ? 1 minute ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E18 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › NAD M51 DAC 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Vote: DACMini Vs. HA-160D 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude