Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post) - Page 6

post #76 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

LFF,

 

What amps do you use for your testing?

I use a custom build 50W per channel amp (85w peak!), a Cavalli Stacker, a Cavalli CTH and an Objective 2.

post #77 of 716

debate over the Paradox's performance aside, I am curious to hear, LFF, why (sonically) you chose to use the T50rp, and not another headphone in a similar (or higher) price bracket. Since the goal you stated here was not to mass produce these and make a large profit, but to make an accurate and reference headphone for mastering purposes, is there some physical or sonic trait (besides being an "ortho") that makes the T50rp a top candidate?
 

post #78 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post


FR is easier to convey though. Wave decay information (CSD's) of my Paradox are available and I believe have been posted before. They also back-up my previous statements.
They don't have any information below 200 hz. Kind of a bummer.
post #79 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristello View Post

debate over the Paradox's performance aside, I am curious to hear, LFF, why (sonically) you chose to use the T50rp, and not another headphone in a similar (or higher) price bracket. Since the goal you stated here was not to mass produce these and make a large profit, but to make an accurate and reference headphone for mastering purposes, is there some physical or sonic trait (besides being an "ortho") that makes the T50rp a top candidate?
 


It's a driver that has been around a long time and it made for affordable experimentation.

 

I'm sure I could make an uber-dox with another, bigger driver but the cost of a mistake would be too much.

post #80 of 716

CSDs below 200hz would be hard to measure.  I think what linuxid might be after is 30hz square waves etc.

post #81 of 716

What about triangle / sawtooth waves?

post #82 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxid10t View Post

The problem is that without wave decay information, a FR graph doesn't mean much. So even if it is completely flat all the way down, it doesn't matter if it can't sustain a wave that low.

 

Could you describe what you mean exactly by wave decay information?

 

Frequency response graphs (and the way they are derived from the impulse response and how that is turn is mathematically derived from sine sweeps or MLS (a white noise like mathematical sequence) are actually based on steady stated sustained signals. If the transducer cannot sustain a certain frequency, say 30Hz, it's going to show up as being depressed.

 

Grados for example cannot sustain 30Hz. This is evident in their FR graphs. LCD2s sustain 30Hz without an issue and rather cleanly. This can be seen their FR and harmonic distortion measurements.

 

--

 

On the topic of CSDs, I gate the measurements to a certain time interval to limit interference from extraneous noise, early reflections, refractions, etc. Unfortunately the time interval of this gate is too small to capture low frequency information since something like 30Hz tone does take, believe it or not, a few hundred milli-seconds and a quite a few yards to propagate.


Edited by purrin - 11/6/12 at 3:28pm
post #83 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

 

Disagree. Totally disagree that they don't lack bass. They lack both extension and impact in my opinion, the extension being the more troubling of the two. You shouldn't have to strain to hear the low end of your music, and you shouldn't have to turn it up louder than you'd like to listen.

 

linux listens to his headphones -cranked-, at least in comparison to how I listen to them. In fact, that could be why he gave them a better review.

 

Relative to the Magnums, the Paradox lack bass impact, because the Magnums emphasize bass at the expense of the mid-range. Furthermore, the Magnums (and Grado like cans in general) lack bass extension. It is probably a limitation of the Magnum/Grado drivers, which is indeed troubling to some. Seems to me your like moar mid-bass biggrin.gif


Edited by ultrabike - 11/6/12 at 7:31pm
post #84 of 716

Magnum/Grado drivers will reach xmax (click pop click pop) with the right combination of bass tones are played at moderately high-ish volumes. Trust me on this. It's something that you do not want to do.

 

In addition, if one actually thinks they are actually hearing 25Hz or 30Hz tones on those drivers, they are in reality hearing distortion - that is more of the 2nd harmonics at 50hz and 60Hz.

post #85 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post


It's a driver that has been around a long time and it made for affordable experimentation.

 

I'm sure I could make an uber-dox with another, bigger driver but the cost of a mistake would be too much.


cost of a mistake???

 

in what way would modifying the T50rp make it un-recoverable?

 

(p.s. - I would certainly consider buying that "uber" paradox. I don't think I am alone either)

post #86 of 716

I think this is the right thread to post this here...

 

I have heard the Paradox from a friend for a brief time about a month ago. I think this is the first time that i heard a really flat FR response from a headphone which i got surprised. But then again, I feel that it is lacking in bass impact. What I did is I tried to look for a track that I am familiar that has very strong bass impact--- now this is what were talking about, the Paradox really hits hard. This is one of the few headphones that I tried that tries to blend into the music you're listening-- very transparent. Also, the Paradox is indeed open-sounding compared to all of the modded t50rps that i have heard in our country. Maybe because of the light clamp of the headband, or is it because of this "something" from the inside? hehehe... only Luis would know. =P

 

My listening session is is done with a T51 + o2 amp + paradox, the dx100 is dead at that time so I didn't bring it.

 

Here are some nitpicks that i have that isn't sound related--- For those people who will use them on the go, the Paradox might not be meant for portable use. The Paradox that I tried that i tried has this clamp that is lighter than my cd900st, which i thought it has the lightest clamping headphone of all i have tried or owned. the paradox might fall off my head if i nod or shake my head. Another one is that i look like an egg/conehead when i adjust the headband to the tightest fit since the normal "setting" is too loose for me.

 

 

As Luis said to me in a PM when i inquire about the paradox sometime ago...

Quote:
flat response might not be for everyone so its best to try them first

 

...or something like that, which is true. I may be one of them and I really don't have any desktop amps anymore to power these babies since all of my gears for portable use and I really don't listen to headphones when I am at home.

post #87 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

I think this is the right thread to post this here...

 

I have heard the Paradox from a friend for a brief time about a month ago. I think this is the first time that i heard a really flat FR response from a headphone which i got surprised. But then again, I feel that it is lacking in bass impact. What I did is I tried to look for a track that I am familiar that has very strong bass impact--- now this is what were talking about, the Paradox really hits hard. This is one of the few headphones that I tried that tries to blend into the music you're listening-- very transparent. Also, the Paradox is indeed open-sounding compared to all of the modded t50rps that i have heard in our country. Maybe because of the light clamp of the headband, or is it because of this "something" from the inside? hehehe... only Luis would know. =P

 

My listening session is is done with a T51 + o2 amp + paradox, the dx100 is dead at that time so I didn't bring it.

 

Here are some nitpicks that i have that isn't sound related--- For those people who will use them on the go, the Paradox might not be meant for portable use. The Paradox that I tried that i tried has this clamp that is lighter than my cd900st, which i thought it has the lightest clamping headphone of all i have tried or owned. the paradox might fall off my head if i nod or shake my head. Another one is that i look like an egg/conehead when i adjust the headband to the tightest fit since the normal "setting" is too loose for me.

 

 

As Luis said to me in a PM when i inquire about the paradox sometime ago...

 

...or something like that, which is true. I may be one of them and I really don't have any desktop amps anymore to power these babies since all of my gears for portable use and I really don't listen to headphones when I am at home.

AFAIK there is an airtight enclosure inside Paradox cups that does something to its sound; it's also why the mod irreversibly breaks down if you try to open up a Paradox. All rumours of course.

post #88 of 716

I heard that Luis seals them with helium and put on shims to balance the sound, who knows, maybe he takes them to a priest to be bless?  I just enjoy them over all my other cans. 

post #89 of 716

Helium?! I expect nothing less than Argon with these premium-priced cans.

post #90 of 716

helium should be right... since it feels light... maybe it will float if there is helium inside the pads as well

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)