Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post) - Page 16

post #226 of 721

that's a valid response............. maybe it can't be put into words....


Edited by thelostMIDrange - 12/16/12 at 7:26pm
post #227 of 721

Planars magnets. Dynamics plastics. Or, er, sh*t, I'm dead.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/16/12 at 7:29pm
post #228 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange View Post

but if someone forced you at gunpoint to express what those differences are in terms of classes, what would you say? Meaning, as a group, there must be at least one or two things that ALL planars have that ALL dynamics don't and vice versa. This must be true, since the two technologies are vastly different. Remember, you are at gunpoint, you must come up with something as a response or else! what would those differences be as subtle as they may be....

Americans don't have to be put at gunpoint to start making generalizations.

post #229 of 721

it was a hypothetical. no worries. no one got hurt and we found out what the difference was so it's all good.

post #230 of 721

I kinda feel like planars have a "wall of sound" feel to them. I think there is something inherently different between planars and coiled wire drivers. Planars kinda give me this feeling like the music is just there.. Whereas dynamics give the me the feeling that something is creating the sound. I'm not sure which is more confusing to my brain. Music can't pop out of nowhere (planars), but there also isn't a little minature band sitting next to my ears either (dynamic).

The objective worms in my brain are wriggling for saying that though.

JACO, I love Jaco. All hail the lord of bass. 

post #231 of 721

I don't think all planar magnetic headphones are neutral or colorless. The LCD-2s I heard in the past where sort of dark sounding. The HE-400 seemed a bit mid forward. The HE-500 a bit laid back. The stock T50RP is probably more colored than an HD600. I haven't heard the HE-6 but some people feel they are a little bright.


Edited by ultrabike - 12/17/12 at 1:39am
post #232 of 721

Its been interesting reading this thread, and I feel kind of awkward posting here.

 

But all this talk of 'colorless' and 'neutral' makes it sound like it is a pair of headphones I may like, if only in certain situations.

Such as producing / mixing / mastering music, doing sound design etc.

And as has been mentioned, for using them as a yardstick for other headphones to be measured against, to compare sound signatures.

 

I've read these are 'relaxed' compared to HE400, which isn't a bad thing sometimes. I can wear HE400 all day, but there's no doubt that with some music the detail, soundstage and bass response get a little fatiguing, at least at higher volumes.

 

I do prefer open headphones, but there are times that call for closed ones.

 

So anyyway, I saw another comment a couple of pages ago that said the Paradoxes had better bass extension and were more neutral than the Mad Dogs

How true is that? If so, I'd go for the Paradox for sure.

Also, the Dog Pads look damn comfy, what pads do the Paradox come with or just the stock t50rp ones? (excuse my ignorance)

Would it be possible to get dog pads for them or would it change the sound too much?

post #233 of 721

^^ I now own the MD's and have only auditioned the Paradox about a year ago. But to me, the Paradox was wonderfully neutral while the MD with dogpadz has more bass presence. If you are asking if you can add the dogpadz to the Paradox, the answer is sure but you wouldn't want to. The hp's are tuned and tested to work in a specific way to get the hallmark signature that are designed for. Changing the pads would greatly screw those results. 

post #234 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ I now own the MD's and have only auditioned the Paradox about a year ago. But to me, the Paradox was wonderfully neutral while the MD with dogpadz has more bass presence. If you are asking if you can add the dogpadz to the Paradox, the answer is sure but you wouldn't want to. The hp's are tuned and tested to work in a specific way to get the hallmark signature that are designed for. Changing the pads would greatly screw those results. 
Thanks. Well, seriously considering getting one of these mods, probably the MDs. I do like my bass, but for reference can wouldn't want toooo much. Just want the extension + quality. I think they'd be a great closed complimentary can to he400. Would you agree?

I'll probably sell my pro900 to fund eventually. Sad, as they're fun, but they're a one trick pony and the piercing highs get on my nerves even though I only use them occasionally / at work
post #235 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by designbykai View Post


Thanks. Well, seriously considering getting one of these mods, probably the MDs. I do like my bass, but for reference can wouldn't want toooo much. Just want the extension + quality. I think they'd be a great closed complimentary can to he400. Would you agree?
I'll probably sell my pro900 to fund eventually. Sad, as they're fun, but they're a one trick pony and the piercing highs get on my nerves even though I only use them occasionally / at work

 

This is exactly the reason that I own both. wink.gif I have bought many hp's to get a wonderfully matched pair of complementary hp's and these compliment very well. The MD does not have exaggerated bass. It's just warmer than neutral but with nice texture and impact. It doesn't bleed into the rest of the signature, nor does it artificially add bass when the material doesn't call for it. 

 

 

gL!!

post #236 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

This is exactly the reason that I own both. wink.gif  I have bought many hp's to get a wonderfully matched pair of complementary hp's and these compliment very well. The MD does not have exaggerated bass. It's just warmer than neutral but with nice texture and impact. It doesn't bleed into the rest of the signature, nor does it artificially add bass when the material doesn't call for it. 


gL!!

Thanks matt!

Sounds perfect!

Definitely gonna keep my dt1350s for now as a portable too

Ahhh this really is a helluva 'hobby' eh, its hard & expensive finding contentment, but its fun
post #237 of 721

^^ That's what it's all about man. Just try to keep the spending under control...it's difficult I know. I feel settled where I am now. With a couple of great complementary hp's and a wonderful amp. I sold off most everything else. Feels good. biggrin.gif

post #238 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange View Post

they are effortless you're right. That's what I meant by stable, motionless. The sound just comes from such a solid place. It's not a criticism, just an observation....that jaco link is a good example though of the difference, in bass at least. A good dynamic driver gives me a little more of jaco's personal bass tone (old alder fender jazz bass - which I also owned at one point so I know how it sounds) and the planars ive heard would not quite give me those details, although it would do just about every other aspect of reproducing low end better....I also see your point about colored planars and lifeless dynamics. I guess I was referring to good examples of each technology.,,,,, There can be no denying that planars are a little 'better' for electronic based music though or won't you even 'go there' and make that statement....

 

 

we'll have to agree to disagree on the Timing though. I don't feel planars get that as right compared to dynamic. Again, a broad blanket statement I know but just my general experience. The dynamics tend to breathe a little more naturally whereas planars seem a touch more regimented in timing. Very subtle differences though

 

I don't disagree. But you do prove my point, well, at least clarify my own personal priorities. In the end, how something sounds is and always will be secondary to distinguishing musical detail, which to me is pitch articulation and timing foremost. Timing as a term is a bit abstract, but I haven't heard a dynamic that is as fast or clear producing differences in it. 

 

A Grado for instance might make something sound more realistic, but that's only in a set instance. In other words, given all the recordings in the world, how many variables including different venues, microphones, their placements, mixing, mastering etc. are there? Would you walk the "colored road" and have everything sound a bit closer to each other, perhaps making some of the elements on those recordings sound more real, or would you pick the one that performs better on average, perhaps being more true to the elements and choices done making the recording?


Edited by electropop - 12/17/12 at 1:01pm
post #239 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I would just sh_t my pants...

 

I had a response to your response, but I forgot to post it last evening.  Remember, if  you are out hiking in the woods with a friend, and you encounter a black bear; you don't need to out-run the bear, but you just need to out-run the person that is with you.  biggrin.gif

 

OK, sorry to divert from the topic at hand.

post #240 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

I had a response to your response, but I forgot to post it last evening.  Remember, if  you are out hiking in the woods with a friend, and you encounter a black bear; you don't need to out-run the bear, but you just need to out-run the person that is with you.  biggrin.gif

 

OK, sorry to divert from the topic at hand.

 

Hell yeah..  I'm outta there..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)