What do you think is the best DAC coupled with the Darkstar? I saw a review here that the Zodiac series is a good pairing. Would the Zodiac Gold be the best pairing?
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac Goldtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Glasstagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Best DAC pairing with the Darkstarpost #1 of 910/29/12 at 4:32pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/29/12 at 5:06pm
Did you already buy the Dark Star? If not, have you heard it? What headphones are you planning on using?
"Best DAC" is a really broad question as Dacs range from ODAC price to Maxed out MSB at over $40,000post #3 of 910/29/12 at 5:08pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/29/12 at 5:12pmpost #5 of 910/29/12 at 5:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/29/12 at 5:39pm
This is how I would build that rig right now if I had that money:
LCD-2 + HD800 = $2400
Liquid Glass first run = $3250 (or Darkstar if you're set on it)
Schiit Bifrost = $350-450post #7 of 910/29/12 at 5:58pmThread Starterpost #8 of 910/29/12 at 6:39pm
Tube maintenance is almost a non-issue, lots of the new productions are cheap and last thousands of hours with no issues. Tube maintenance is one of those humps that prospective buyers always worry about only to try it and realize it's a non-issue. The only possible pitfall is going on spending sprees to see how different sorts of tubes sound.
LG is the best I've heard the Audeze sound, and that's including some very lofty company (pretty much everything but the Pinnacle.) I've heard similar things about it's pairing with the HD800 but have not heard the combo myself. That is why I would recommend it.
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 seconds ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 29 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 47 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 1 minute ago
- › Good sleeping in ear headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Toronto Winter 2014 Meet 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears' New Way Of Making Custom In-Ear Monitors - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Audio player + Headphones under 250$ 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)