What do you think is the best DAC coupled with the Darkstar? I saw a review here that the Zodiac series is a good pairing. Would the Zodiac Gold be the best pairing?
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac Goldtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Glasstagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
Hi my name is Andrew Reddog Jones, I have been into this fantastic hobby for almost two years. I mostly take care of my mother and sometimes fix vcrs. Today I plan on doing a review oh HIFIMAN's...
Suprisingly, this cheap in ear jlab sounded good enough for me to come here and get into better sound.
Best DAC pairing with the Darkstarpost #1 of 910/29/12 at 4:32pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/29/12 at 5:06pm
Did you already buy the Dark Star? If not, have you heard it? What headphones are you planning on using?
"Best DAC" is a really broad question as Dacs range from ODAC price to Maxed out MSB at over $40,000post #3 of 910/29/12 at 5:08pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/29/12 at 5:12pm
Maybe start from the beginning...
What's the total budget for your rig? What do you want to spend on the individual components? What are your aural goals with your system?post #5 of 910/29/12 at 5:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/29/12 at 5:39pm
This is how I would build that rig right now if I had that money:
LCD-2 + HD800 = $2400
Liquid Glass first run = $3250 (or Darkstar if you're set on it)
Schiit Bifrost = $350-450post #7 of 910/29/12 at 5:58pmThread Starterpost #8 of 910/29/12 at 6:39pm
Tube maintenance is almost a non-issue, lots of the new productions are cheap and last thousands of hours with no issues. Tube maintenance is one of those humps that prospective buyers always worry about only to try it and realize it's a non-issue. The only possible pitfall is going on spending sprees to see how different sorts of tubes sound.
LG is the best I've heard the Audeze sound, and that's including some very lofty company (pretty much everything but the Pinnacle.) I've heard similar things about it's pairing with the HD800 but have not heard the combo myself. That is why I would recommend it.
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 9 seconds ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 16 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 30 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Nashua, New Hampshire Meet: Decemeber 5th, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Sport Headphones Sweepstakes!! 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2