What do you think is the best DAC coupled with the Darkstar? I saw a review here that the Zodiac series is a good pairing. Would the Zodiac Gold be the best pairing?
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac Goldtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Glasstagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
Best DAC pairing with the Darkstarpost #1 of 910/29/12 at 4:32pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/29/12 at 5:06pm
Did you already buy the Dark Star? If not, have you heard it? What headphones are you planning on using?
"Best DAC" is a really broad question as Dacs range from ODAC price to Maxed out MSB at over $40,000post #3 of 910/29/12 at 5:08pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/29/12 at 5:12pmpost #5 of 910/29/12 at 5:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/29/12 at 5:39pm
This is how I would build that rig right now if I had that money:
LCD-2 + HD800 = $2400
Liquid Glass first run = $3250 (or Darkstar if you're set on it)
Schiit Bifrost = $350-450post #7 of 910/29/12 at 5:58pmThread Starterpost #8 of 910/29/12 at 6:39pm
Tube maintenance is almost a non-issue, lots of the new productions are cheap and last thousands of hours with no issues. Tube maintenance is one of those humps that prospective buyers always worry about only to try it and realize it's a non-issue. The only possible pitfall is going on spending sprees to see how different sorts of tubes sound.
LG is the best I've heard the Audeze sound, and that's including some very lofty company (pretty much everything but the Pinnacle.) I've heard similar things about it's pairing with the HD800 but have not heard the combo myself. That is why I would recommend it.
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Baycode's Upcoming and Completed Reviews Newsfeed Page 59 seconds ago
- › Open vs Closed: A Review and Comparison of the AKG K712 Pro and the... 2 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - 24 bit WAV player ( impressions, opinions). 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 6 minutes ago
- › Recommend headphones for Sansa Clip+ 6 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 7 minutes ago
- › 2014 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)