What do you think is the best DAC coupled with the Darkstar? I saw a review here that the Zodiac series is a good pairing. Would the Zodiac Gold be the best pairing?
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac Goldtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Glasstagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Best DAC pairing with the Darkstarpost #1 of 910/29/12 at 4:32pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/29/12 at 5:06pm
Did you already buy the Dark Star? If not, have you heard it? What headphones are you planning on using?
"Best DAC" is a really broad question as Dacs range from ODAC price to Maxed out MSB at over $40,000post #3 of 910/29/12 at 5:08pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/29/12 at 5:12pm
Maybe start from the beginning...
What's the total budget for your rig? What do you want to spend on the individual components? What are your aural goals with your system?post #5 of 910/29/12 at 5:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/29/12 at 5:39pm
This is how I would build that rig right now if I had that money:
LCD-2 + HD800 = $2400
Liquid Glass first run = $3250 (or Darkstar if you're set on it)
Schiit Bifrost = $350-450post #7 of 910/29/12 at 5:58pmThread Starterpost #8 of 910/29/12 at 6:39pm
Tube maintenance is almost a non-issue, lots of the new productions are cheap and last thousands of hours with no issues. Tube maintenance is one of those humps that prospective buyers always worry about only to try it and realize it's a non-issue. The only possible pitfall is going on spending sprees to see how different sorts of tubes sound.
LG is the best I've heard the Audeze sound, and that's including some very lofty company (pretty much everything but the Pinnacle.) I've heard similar things about it's pairing with the HD800 but have not heard the combo myself. That is why I would recommend it.
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 3 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds for Piano Listening? 4 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...