What do you think is the best DAC coupled with the Darkstar? I saw a review here that the Zodiac series is a good pairing. Would the Zodiac Gold be the best pairing?
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac Goldtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Glasstagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productRay Samuels The Dark Startagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
This review won't be too detailed, just a vote of respect for such a fine pair of headphones. I tend to like warm toned headphones, rather than purely neutral sets, and the Philips Fidelio X2 has...
Best DAC pairing with the Darkstarpost #1 of 910/29/12 at 4:32pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/29/12 at 5:06pm
Did you already buy the Dark Star? If not, have you heard it? What headphones are you planning on using?
"Best DAC" is a really broad question as Dacs range from ODAC price to Maxed out MSB at over $40,000post #3 of 910/29/12 at 5:08pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/29/12 at 5:12pm
Maybe start from the beginning...
What's the total budget for your rig? What do you want to spend on the individual components? What are your aural goals with your system?post #5 of 910/29/12 at 5:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/29/12 at 5:39pm
This is how I would build that rig right now if I had that money:
LCD-2 + HD800 = $2400
Liquid Glass first run = $3250 (or Darkstar if you're set on it)
Schiit Bifrost = $350-450post #7 of 910/29/12 at 5:58pmThread Starterpost #8 of 910/29/12 at 6:39pm
Tube maintenance is almost a non-issue, lots of the new productions are cheap and last thousands of hours with no issues. Tube maintenance is one of those humps that prospective buyers always worry about only to try it and realize it's a non-issue. The only possible pitfall is going on spending sprees to see how different sorts of tubes sound.
LG is the best I've heard the Audeze sound, and that's including some very lofty company (pretty much everything but the Pinnacle.) I've heard similar things about it's pairing with the HD800 but have not heard the combo myself. That is why I would recommend it.
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audiophile iOS audio player 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Low gain and higher volume vs high gain and lower volume 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 4 minutes ago
- › Gustard X20 DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 6 minutes ago
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor by Kerry56
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...