Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro - Page 11

post #151 of 175

Media button router is an entirely different program than what I was talking about.  However, I have tried other apps that alter the behavior of the "action button" (ya know, the button you normally use to use voice commands or answer calls on a bluetooth headset, and on this headset, they do not work.

 

The app you linked however, serves a completely separate purpose than what I was talking about.  :P

post #152 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirkustanz View Post
 

Media button router is an entirely different program than what I was talking about.  However, I have tried other apps that alter the behavior of the "action button" (ya know, the button you normally use to use voice commands or answer calls on a bluetooth headset, and on this headset, they do not work.

 

The app you linked however, serves a completely separate purpose than what I was talking about.  :P

 

Hmm, I was going by this:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirkustanz View Post

...my still working but obviously on it's last legs samsung HS3000 can do this very easily by just using an app that changes the default application fired up by the bluetooth action buttons.

 

That's basically what Media button router does, it routes your button actions to a selected default application. But I've just had a closer look at it and noticed it's hadly customizable, so sorry for not checking this beforehand.

 

On a different note, have you tried Media Utilities in combination with Tasker? Or am I still not getting what you're trying to achieve? :P

post #153 of 175

I have tasker, but I have to spend a little bit of time learning how to use it.  :P



 



What I'm trying to achieve, is to be able to use google now with the main action button on the headset.  (The circle)  On other headsets such as samsung hs3000 where if you press the headset button in, it activates the default voice dialer...so it's just a matter of downloading something such as "bluetooth launcher" from the play store that changes the default action of the button.  You point it to google now, and presto...it works.



 



With this headset, when you press the action button, nothing happens on the phone.  With, or without, any software installed.  Including Sony's software.  The button works, it's just that with this headset pressing the button only serves to display the time, and to turn on the screen so you can toggle through the "apps" that are in the headset. You can't press the button in order to place a call in any way, like you can with most other bluetooth headsets.


Edited by Cirkustanz - 11/26/13 at 6:58am
post #154 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

No offense, but that doesn't strike me as an overly balanced judgment. Rin (udauda) measured my HS3000 and told me all he'd wish for was more bandwidth in the low end. So, in my understanding, its DAC is fine and its amp has bass roll-off. That's it.

 

I actually bought the MW1 as a potential upgrade some time ago and listened to both side by side, but in the end returned the MW1. Both were close in sound quality, but the HS3000's better usability and aptX support made me stay with it.

 

You know what, the rolled-off HS3000 may in fact even be the better pairing for the MW1's bass-heavy earpiece, because the MW1 is about 12db up @50Hz and the HS3000 is about 5db down. wink.gif

 

 

I'm thinking of getting the HS3000 to use with my MH1 + iphone 3Gs, and have a couple of questions:

 

1) How does the HS3000 sound (compared to, say, the MW1 or Sansa Clip+) if you aren't using an aptX-enabled source?

2) How well and how loud does the HS3000 drive the MH1?

 

Thanks :)

post #155 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdeep View Post
 

 

I'm thinking of getting the HS3000 to use with my MH1 + iphone 3Gs, and have a couple of questions:

 

1) How does the HS3000 sound (compared to, say, the MW1 or Sansa Clip+) if you aren't using an aptX-enabled source?

2) How well and how loud does the HS3000 drive the MH1?

 

Thanks :)

 

I'm afraid I can't help you much. I've only used the HS3000 with the Creative XFi-3 and SGS3, both of which are aptX enabled. When I compared the MW1 and HS3000 back then, I used the MW1's earpiece on both receivers and thought it sounded a little better on the Samsung. I didn't try max. volume though. Thing is, on streaming BT from my SGS3, my smartphone's volume setting add's to the HS3000's volume setting and the combo can get earsplittingly loud. But I have no way to try the iPhone 3Gs and don't know how it will behave.

 

I'd probably order it from a dealer like Amazon who's cool about returns and try it for yourself.

post #156 of 175

I tried my MW1 the other day, and - now, I might be expecting too much - for it to sound good with the Senn IE800s, but - was most disappointed with the crunchy, distorted upper registers...

 

This isn't necessarily a fault of the device per se, but of the Bluetooth standard it adopts - sounding very compressed...

 

I think I may have to do what James has said many times, and try the HSS3000 - hopefully that doesn't have the same compression / artefacts!

post #157 of 175

Are you sure that the "crunchy, distorted upper registers" are bluetooth compression artefacts? Even though the MW1 doesn't support aptX, it's still a BT 3.0 device and should easily be able to stream SBC with 320+ kbit/s. It certainly didn't distort when I tried it with my SGS3 and the difference in sound quality to the HS3000 was rather slight to my ears.

post #158 of 175
Thread Starter 

Yep, distorted sound won't be something I'll expect from MW1, consider that it has a fairly robust output. I have somewhat similar experience with another BT headset the other day - it sounds grainy and low resolution (like AM radio) at first, but normal (and pretty good sounding) after I unpair / repair it back. The thing is that all its other features function perfectly fine so it is hard to tell at first whether the bad sound quality was indeed how the headset sounds like or just a bad BT connection.

post #159 of 175

Hi Friends.,

 

I arrived at a point in choosing between Sony SBH50 & Sony MW-1 Pro.

 

Firstly, All that i'm worried about is the multipoint connectivity Using it simultaneously with my mobile and my laptop machine, Like while listening to it on my laptop machine will it alert me about the calls and allow me to answer those and automatically resume to laptop once done with mobile calls?? It would be great if i get an answer for this cause i have been waiting since 4days to choose one among SBH50 & MW-1 and place an order.

 

Secondly, about the live headset included in MW1, read a lot about its good sound quality. Is this a deal breaker between the above mentioned models, Live headset vs SBH50 headset??

 

I greatly appreciate your suggestions and will be awaiting on them

 

P.S: earlier i used Sony MW 600 for 2years, it disappointed me with multipoint function.

 

ThankYou in advance,

Suny

 

Bass head, And cares for the clarity as well.

 

Gear: Ipod 4th Gen | Nexus 5 | Creative soundcard enabled Dell machine | Sony MW 600| Sound Magic MP21 | Skull Candy Smokin Buds | Phillips BT.

Edited by suny2528 - 12/21/13 at 10:09am
post #160 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

I'm afraid I can't help you much. I've only used the HS3000 with the Creative XFi-3 and SGS3, both of which are aptX enabled. When I compared the MW1 and HS3000 back then, I used the MW1's earpiece on both receivers and thought it sounded a little better on the Samsung. I didn't try max. volume though. Thing is, on streaming BT from my SGS3, my smartphone's volume setting add's to the HS3000's volume setting and the combo can get earsplittingly loud. But I have no way to try the iPhone 3Gs and don't know how it will behave.

 

I'd probably order it from a dealer like Amazon who's cool about returns and try it for yourself.

 

Thanks for the reply. It's available here (in India) at Samsung stores for about $45, which sounds like a good price. I'll see if I can give it a listen, but I'll just go ahead and buy it even if I can't, based on your and CliOS impressions. :)

post #161 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdeep View Post
 

 

I'm thinking of getting the HS3000 to use with my MH1 + iphone 3Gs, and have a couple of questions:

 

1) How does the HS3000 sound (compared to, say, the MW1 or Sansa Clip+) if you aren't using an aptX-enabled source?

2) How well and how loud does the HS3000 drive the MH1?

 

Thanks :)

 

With aptX-enabled, all frequency sounded more silent, clean with better separation between instruments & voice.

With non-aptX device like iphone, it sounded fuller (more mid?), unclean and sound like more busy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
 

I tried my MW1 the other day, and - now, I might be expecting too much - for it to sound good with the Senn IE800s, but - was most disappointed with the crunchy, distorted upper registers...

 

This isn't necessarily a fault of the device per se, but of the Bluetooth standard it adopts - sounding very compressed...

 

I think I may have to do what James has said many times, and try the HSS3000 - hopefully that doesn't have the same compression / artefacts!

 

I've try many Sony, they sound the same to me, so I've think it's typical and signature of how Sony stereo BT headsets has sounded.

post #162 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny2528 View Post
 

Hi Friends.,

 

I arrived at a point in choosing between Sony SBH50 & Sony MW-1 Pro.

 

Firstly, All that i'm worried about is the multipoint connectivity Using it simultaneously with my mobile and my laptop machine, Like while listening to it on my laptop machine will it alert me about the calls and allow me to answer those and automatically resume to laptop once done with mobile calls?? It would be great if i get an answer for this cause i have been waiting since 4days to choose one among SBH50 & MW-1 and place an order.

 

Secondly, about the live headset included in MW1, read a lot about its good sound quality. Is this a deal breaker between the above mentioned models, Live headset vs SBH50 headset??

 

I greatly appreciate your suggestions and will be awaiting on them

 

P.S: earlier i used Sony MW 600 for 2years, it disappointed me with multipoint function.

 

ThankYou in advance,

Suny

 

Bass head, And cares for the clarity as well.

 

Gear: Ipod 4th Gen | Nexus 5 | Creative soundcard enabled Dell machine | Sony MW 600| Sound Magic MP21 | Skull Candy Smokin Buds | Phillips BT.

 

Did you ever find one that works well for you?

 

I'm also looking for something similar to you.  I would like to find something that will turn my Westone UM3x's and Shure 535's in to bluetooth headphones.  I've read a lot on this site and many others but can't seem to get a good handle on what will work best for an iPhone, iPad, and mac/macbook.  Ideally I'd be able to pair to all 3 and switch between them but 2 out of 3 at a time would be ok too so long as pairing was easy enough.  My primary uses for it would be listening to music, watching movies, and making phone calls.

 

There seem to be 3 popular options:


Sony MW600 - dated and using older BT 2.1 technology but seems to be the only one that can connect 3 devices at a time... the clip on this one seems to have lots of issues with breaking over time

Sony MW1 / SBH20 / SBH50 / SB52 - I kind of classed these together since they all more or less seem to be the same internals with different features, only support 2 devices at a time - reviews have been hit or miss with iPhone/iOS products

Samsung HS3000 - Apt-X enabled, only 2 devices at a time can be connected, seems to be highly regarded but not sure how nicely it plays with iPhone

 

 

Am I missing other ones that are out now that I should consider and do any of you have any recommendations as to which one would work best for Apple products?

post #163 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
 

Ideally I'd be able to pair to all 3 and switch between them but 2 out of 3 at a time would be ok too so long as pairing was easy enough.

 

Are you aware that pairing and connecting are two different features? I'd think you can easily pair to all 3 with these headsets, but the multipoint connection feature will only allow you to connect to 2 out of them at a time, e.g to your iPhone as a headset and your macbook for audio streaming.

post #164 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Are you aware that pairing and connecting are two different features? I'd think you can easily pair to all 3 with these headsets, but the multipoint connection feature will only allow you to connect to 2 out of them at a time, e.g to your iPhone as a headset and your macbook for audio streaming.

 

I never thought about that... that being said I think any of them would work for me since I'd only be using 2 devices at a time at most.  Have you had any experience with other devices other than the MW1 and HS3000?  Is one better than the other for using with multiple devices?


Edited by tangfj - 1/17/14 at 9:18am
post #165 of 175

^ Sorry, I don't have experience with other devices. And I only tried the HS3000 with multiple devices (which worked fine).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro