Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Westone UM3X Vs Westone 4R (Your review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM3X Vs Westone 4R (Your review) - Page 4

post #46 of 67
neutral sound = W4R
Bass = UM3X
post #47 of 67
People always tend to choose um3x versus w4 after short audition since they are more fun sounding and sounds fantastic already without amping. I just find the bass of the um3x slightly uncontrolled specially when you raise the volume of your dap.
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesale08 View Post

People always tend to choose um3x versus w4 after short audition since they are more fun sounding and sounds fantastic already without amping. I just find the bass of the um3x slightly uncontrolled specially when you raise the volume of your dap.

My personal belief is that strsight out of the box with a ipod the um3x will have to offer. They have more of a fun presentation.

However if you ard looking for a refrence grade audiophile iem and you are going to pair them with high end portable audio equipment. The w4r can reproduce phenomenal sound quality. Imo the w4r are a exceptional universal iem esp for the price.

I think people don't realise that the w4 are a more serious iem vs the um3x while is a more fun iem. Both are excellent in their own rights though.
post #49 of 67

I wouldn't say the UM3X is not a serious IEM, they were afterall designed for live performing artists. They are very niche in its presentation which is all about focusing the mids as much as possible.

 

The W4 offers larger soundstage, better clarity, better treble extension, less bass, less bass slam, overall much more neutral with a fun sounding bass. Hence the reason I kept the W4R instead of UM3X

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post

I wouldn't say the UM3X is not a serious IEM, they were afterall designed for live performing artists. They are very niche in its presentation which is all about focusing the mids as much as possible.

 

The W4 offers larger soundstage, better clarity, better treble extension, less bass, less bass slam, overall much more neutral with a fun sounding bass. Hence the reason I kept the W4R instead of UM3X


Agred!  (Y)

post #51 of 67

I've had the UM3X for a few months now. But I find myself looking for my W4's once in awhile again. There's just that Something that the W4's has that you can't find in the UM3X. I appreciate the more Neutral sound, Larger Soundstage and how analytical it is as compared to the UM3X. No offense, I like both XD But with my Setups, the W4 is still on top of the list. But if it's straight from an Ipod or My Walkman, I guess i'd opt for the UM3x, especially when im hiking etc
 

post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post

I've had the UM3X for a few months now. But I find myself looking for my W4's once in awhile again. There's just that Something that the W4's has that you can't find in the UM3X. I appreciate the more Neutral sound, Larger Soundstage and how analytical it is as compared to the UM3X. No offense, I like both XD But with my Setups, the W4 is still on top of the list. But if it's straight from an Ipod or My Walkman, I guess i'd opt for the UM3x, especially when im hiking etc
 


What exactly consist your Setups? XD

post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbox View Post


What exactly consist your Setups? XD

Haha, currently I only have a Burson Soloist, Schiit Asgard 2 and the Violectric V200 as my amps. Sadly, no tubes at the moment, as im slowly buying a few stuffs again in accordance to my preference.

As for my dacs, an hrt music streamer ii plus and a Centrance Dacport LX. Not planning on getting a desktop dac, lol. These are downright awesome and i use it on my laptop and office almost all the time. I like the Centrance more though.

Just incase, for my portable amps, only have an ADL Cruise, ALO Continental V3 and the iQube V3. Reason for these is the synergy with the W4s and the UM3x. ALO has awesome Bass and Mids, while the cruise is basically a mini powerhouse. Got the iqube for my ipod since it works similarly to the cruise. While the other two on my Walkman X1060.
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post


Haha, currently I only have a Burson Soloist, Schiit Asgard 2 and the Violectric V200 as my amps. Sadly, no tubes at the moment, as im slowly buying a few stuffs again in accordance to my preference.

As for my dacs, an hrt music streamer ii plus and a Centrance Dacport LX. Not planning on getting a desktop dac, lol. These are downright awesome and i use it on my laptop and office almost all the time. I like the Centrance more though.

Just incase, for my portable amps, only have an ADL Cruise, ALO Continental V3 and the iQube V3. Reason for these is the synergy with the W4s and the UM3x. ALO has awesome Bass and Mids, while the cruise is basically a mini powerhouse. Got the iqube for my ipod since it works similarly to the cruise. While the other two on my Walkman X1060.


Cool!  What do you think about RSA P-51 Mustang portable amp?  Have you ear about this headamp? Aw synergy with W4! Am searching again for good one!

 

thx!

post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post

Haha, currently I only have a Burson Soloist, Schiit Asgard 2 and the Violectric V200 as my amps. Sadly, no tubes at the moment, as im slowly buying a few stuffs again in accordance to my preference.

As for my dacs, an hrt music streamer ii plus and a Centrance Dacport LX. Not planning on getting a desktop dac, lol. These are downright awesome and i use it on my laptop and office almost all the time. I like the Centrance more though.

Just incase, for my portable amps, only have an ADL Cruise, ALO Continental V3 and the iQube V3. Reason for these is the synergy with the W4s and the UM3x. ALO has awesome Bass and Mids, while the cruise is basically a mini powerhouse. Got the iqube for my ipod since it works similarly to the cruise. While the other two on my Walkman X1060.
How are you liking the continental v3 with the w4r ?? I have the same amp with them and I'm really living the combo. I've only had the amp and headphones for about two three weeks now so I don't think the amp has fully opened up yet but from what I am hearing now WOW!! Great sound. Can't really get them out of my ears. Lol. I am also going to pick up the um3rc soon though. Just to have and depending on my mood I would listen to them a lot I think. Rite now my three main phones are the w4r,, the heir 4ai and the er4 ps. This amp really makes all three sound fantastic. I'm probably going to sell the 4ai though cause I like the w4r a little better and would help me fund something else like a nice dac or a nice dap. smily_headphones1.gif
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbox View Post


Cool!  What do you think about RSA P-51 Mustang portable amp?  Have you ear about this headamp? Aw synergy with W4! Am searching again for good one!

thx!

Damn, I miss that. I used to have it along with the Shadow. Lost it on my trip to Japan last year. I'd agree that it has great synergy and for some reason your music seems so Fast and full of energy. It's okay with slower tempo songs. But I believe the shadow had a better instrument separation over the mustang. Though, I like the analog dial on the Mustang over the digital one on the Shadow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

How are you liking the continental v3 with the w4r ?? I have the same amp with them and I'm really living the combo. I've only had the amp and headphones for about two three weeks now so I don't think the amp has fully opened up yet but from what I am hearing now WOW!! Great sound. Can't really get them out of my ears. Lol. I am also going to pick up the um3rc soon though. Just to have and depending on my mood I would listen to them a lot I think. Rite now my three main phones are the w4r,, the heir 4ai and the er4 ps. This amp really makes all three sound fantastic. I'm probably going to sell the 4ai though cause I like the w4r a little better and would help me fund something else like a nice dac or a nice dap. smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, I agree with that. Took awhile for the components to burn in. The Burson I had took a week or so. My Audinst, Continental V3 etc took awhile longer. Sounded better after a few days and at it's peak in a month.

Now, about the Continental V3, it's closest to a tube sound amp. I like the upgrade from the V2 (the V1-V2 wasnt much of an upgrade). a notch lower than my ex Woo Audio wa6 and 22. The bass was fixed, Full Bodied! Excellent for the W4s! Well, for those who wants extra bass though, lol. The mids on the W4 are further refined. Almost everything about the amp is positive XDDD

Though, the W4 is a very versatile iem. It works well with Any Amp/Dac pairings. Sounds great on every genre. Not being specific. Since you're getting the UM3x. The Bass is phenomenal, not overpowering, clear yet Full Bodied. Was a Joy watching movies and playing games with it.

As for portability, I guess works well if you're around congested areas. It fits in my pockets well, but I wear a hoodie/jacket most of the time, so use the pockets on those anyway.

I'd recommend the hrt music streamer ii. Cheap, but a good buy. If not Centrance's Dacport. They're both in the same price ranges. My colleague has a Schiit Modi. Another good buy too, but im more into portability and smaller sizes
Edited by HaruHaruHarHar - 7/25/13 at 8:42am
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post

Damn, I miss that. I used to have it along with the Shadow. Lost it on my trip to Japan last year. I'd agree that it has great synergy and for some reason your music seems so Fast and full of energy. It's okay with slower tempo songs. But I believe the shadow had a better instrument separation over the mustang. Though, I like the analog dial on the Mustang over the digital one on the Shadow.
Yup, I agree with that. Took awhile for the components to burn in. The Burson I had took a week or so. My Audinst, Continental V3 etc took awhile longer. Sounded better after a few days and at it's peak in a month.

Now, about the Continental V3, it's closest to a tube sound amp. I like the upgrade from the V2 (the V1-V2 wasnt much of an upgrade). a notch lower than my ex Woo Audio wa6 and 22. The bass was fixed, Full Bodied! Excellent for the W4s! Well, for those who wants extra bass though, lol. The mids on the W4 are further refined. Almost everything about the amp is positive XDDD

Though, the W4 is a very versatile iem. It works well with Any Amp/Dac pairings. Sounds great on every genre. Not being specific. Since you're getting the UM3x. The Bass is phenomenal, not overpowering, clear yet Full Bodied. Was a Joy watching movies and playing games with it.

As for portability, I guess works well if you're around congested areas. It fits in my pockets well, but I wear a hoodie/jacket most of the time, so use the pockets on those anyway.

I'd recommend the hrt music streamer ii. Cheap, but a good buy. If not Centrance's Dacport. They're both in the same price ranges. My colleague has a Schiit Modi. Another good buy too, but im more into portability and smaller sizes
Beautiful thank you so much. Yes I can't wait to get the um3. I'm thinking I will love it for the guitars and stuff like that in the rockn roll I listen too. I have the um2 but I think the um3 will be a nice upgrade smily_headphones1.gif
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post


Damn, I miss that. I used to have it along with the Shadow. Lost it on my trip to Japan last year. I'd agree that it has great synergy and for some reason your music seems so Fast and full of energy. It's okay with slower tempo songs. But I believe the shadow had a better instrument separation over the mustang. Though, I like the analog dial on the Mustang over the digital one on the Shadow.
Yup, I agree with that. Took awhile for the components to burn in. The Burson I had took a week or so. My Audinst, Continental V3 etc took awhile longer. Sounded better after a few days and at it's peak in a month.

Now, about the Continental V3, it's closest to a tube sound amp. I like the upgrade from the V2 (the V1-V2 wasnt much of an upgrade). a notch lower than my ex Woo Audio wa6 and 22. The bass was fixed, Full Bodied! Excellent for the W4s! Well, for those who wants extra bass though, lol. The mids on the W4 are further refined. Almost everything about the amp is positive XDDD

Though, the W4 is a very versatile iem. It works well with Any Amp/Dac pairings. Sounds great on every genre. Not being specific. Since you're getting the UM3x. The Bass is phenomenal, not overpowering, clear yet Full Bodied. Was a Joy watching movies and playing games with it.

As for portability, I guess works well if you're around congested areas. It fits in my pockets well, but I wear a hoodie/jacket most of the time, so use the pockets on those anyway.

I'd recommend the hrt music streamer ii. Cheap, but a good buy. If not Centrance's Dacport. They're both in the same price ranges. My colleague has a Schiit Modi. Another good buy too, but im more into portability and smaller sizes

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post


Beautiful thank you so much. Yes I can't wait to get the um3. I'm thinking I will love it for the guitars and stuff like that in the rockn roll I listen too. I have the um2 but I think the um3 will be a nice upgrade smily_headphones1.gif


Thank Haru, I think I will go on this Mustang! SaD that you lost your Shadow!

 

biggrin.gif

 

 

@Pacman46     Agree, UM2 is aw... but, UM3x will be a huge upgrade for you! It is anyway intended for musicians purpose!

 

wink_face.gif


Edited by Skullbox - 7/25/13 at 9:36am
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post


Beautiful thank you so much. Yes I can't wait to get the um3. I'm thinking I will love it for the guitars and stuff like that in the rockn roll I listen too. I have the um2 but I think the um3 will be a nice upgrade smily_headphones1.gif

The UM2 and the UM3X are really different. All of Westones iems are unique and have their own signature XDDD But Nevertheless, give the UM3x a nice burn in and sometime getting used to. And you'll love it XDDD The Mids are really breath taking. IMO. I liked it over my ex SE535s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbox View Post

 

 


Thank Haru, I think I will go on this Mustang! SaD that you lost your Shadow!

 

biggrin.gif

 

 

@Pacman46     Agree, UM2 is aw... but, UM3x will be a huge upgrade for you! It is anyway intended for musicians purpose!

 

wink_face.gif

Haha, both the Mustang and the Shadow are Great! The differences are so Small that you don't need an upgrade or a change. I'd stick with the Mustang too, if I still had it.

post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaruHaruHarHar View Post

The UM2 and the UM3X are really different. All of Westones iems are unique and have their own signature XDDD But Nevertheless, give the UM3x a nice burn in and sometime getting used to. And you'll love it XDDD The Mids are really breath taking. IMO. I liked it over my ex SE535s

Haha, both the Mustang and the Shadow are Great! The differences are so Small that you don't need an upgrade or a change. I'd stick with the Mustang too, if I still had it.


There's amp with or without a DAC! What is the use of DAC exactly,  what is used for? Do I will need it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Westone UM3X Vs Westone 4R (Your review)