Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread. - Page 64

post #946 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptj24 View Post
 

Hi all,

My name is Juan, from Mexico. I've been lurking around the forum for a while now lol, but never actually posted (time to give back some useful information). I found out something interesting regarding the XBA-3's. I have noticed that this IEM (and the XBA-4 too) is prone to a weird moisture problem that causes a significant volume drop (left earpiece in my case). It seems to happen whenever I wear them for an extended period of time, 3+ hrs. My left is ear produces more wax than the right one, thus humidificating the insides of the left earpiece. There's apparently a similar issue with the Shures E3C, according to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/464760/volume-loss-on-left-side-of-shure-e3c-ear-phones (last two posts) So if any of you comes accross this problem, just let the IEMs rest for a while and everything will be back to normal. Hope someone finds it useful.

welcome Juan from Mexico. Glad you finally posted. sfwalcer was wondering who the guy lurking in the shadows staring was? As for the XBA-3/30's, I'd find the fact they are probably the most sub-par triple ba driver available on the market far more disturbing than the tendency for them to left ear diminish while sweating and long term listening? That you give these average suckers long term listening marathons is also more surprising. I sold mine pair as fast as I could, when i realized during an a/b comparison, that my one BA Altec Lansing's were smacking the 30's around in detail resolution, bass presence, and thickness of mids. Not to mention, what is up with that "metallic" treble??? I'm a human, not a robot! lol Anyway, sorry you're experiencing these types of issues with your iems. I'm lucky, since I use my FXT90's and my Altec Lansing's for workouts, and both of those are so super built, they never give me any issues regardless of sweat. 

post #947 of 1160

not your cup of tea

post #948 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

welcome Juan from Mexico. Glad you finally posted. sfwalcer was wondering who the guy lurking in the shadows staring was? As for the XBA-3/30's, I'd find the fact they are probably the most sub-par triple ba driver available on the market far more disturbing than the tendency for them to left ear diminish while sweating and long term listening? That you give these average suckers long term listening marathons is also more surprising. I sold mine pair as fast as I could, when i realized during an a/b comparison, that my one BA Altec Lansing's were smacking the 30's around in detail resolution, bass presence, and thickness of mids. Not to mention, what is up with that "metallic" treble??? I'm a human, not a robot! lol Anyway, sorry you're experiencing these types of issues with your iems. I'm lucky, since I use my FXT90's and my Altec Lansing's for workouts, and both of those are so super built, they never give me any issues regardless of sweat. 

Thanks for the welcome :)

Whoa! I see your XBA-3s weren't the only IEM's parting. I do reckon the XBA-3 have a very particular timbre. And the metallic treble is something I kinda like due to the sort of music I listen to (video games soundtracks) I also listen to metal, and for such genre, I prefer my TF10's because the XBA30 and 40s definitely sound kind of... sweet. How does the 30's compare to the GR07 you used to own? 

post #949 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptj24 View Post
 

Thanks for the welcome :)

Whoa! I see your XBA-3s weren't the only IEM's parting. I do reckon the XBA-3 have a very particular timbre. And the metallic treble is something I kinda like due to the sort of music I listen to (video games soundtracks) I also listen to metal, and for such genre, I prefer my TF10's because the XBA30 and 40s definitely sound kind of... sweet. How does the 30's compare to the GR07 you used to own? 

The Gr07's had hardly any bass, which along with the finicky fit, was the reason I parted with them. No other reason. Sound wise they are among the top 3 iem's i've owned (all time : 1. Sennheiser IE800. 2. UE TF 10 3. VSonic GR07/JVC HA-FXT90). I think the TF 10's have the edge because they deliver crisp, deep, punchy bass, and sadly, the GR07 delivers very linear bass (almost identical to the bass texture and delivery of the TDK IE800).

post #950 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

The Gr07's had hardly any bass, which along with the finicky fit, was the reason I parted with them. No other reason. Sound wise they are among the top 3 iem's i've owned (all time : 1. Sennheiser IE800. 2. UE TF 10 3. VSonic GR07/JVC HA-FXT90). I think the TF 10's have the edge because they deliver crisp, deep, punchy bass, and sadly, the GR07 delivers very linear bass (almost identical to the bass texture and delivery of the TDK IE800).

I see... The GR07's are way too intelectual. Too composed. I'm still trying to find something exciting to replace those XBA-3's old chaps. What do you think is a more natural sounding IEM with a similar sound signature to the XBA-3's? Tight, sufficient bass. Nice mids, bright treble. I must say the XBA-3's do a very good job at 3D layering, but the soundstage is not as wide as the TF10. So maybe something along the lines of the XBA-3 but with greater soundstage and more natural timbre would be just sublime.

post #951 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptj24 View Post
 

I see... The GR07's are way too intelectual. Too composed. I'm still trying to find something exciting to replace those XBA-3's old chaps. What do you think is a more natural sounding IEM with a similar sound signature to the XBA-3's? Tight, sufficient bass. Nice mids, bright treble. I must say the XBA-3's do a very good job at 3D layering, but the soundstage is not as wide as the TF10. So maybe something along the lines of the XBA-3 but with greater soundstage and more natural timbre would be just sublime.

The UE 700's are my next go to iem after my JVC HA-FXT90. The JVC's may be too aggressive for you? what's your price range?

post #952 of 1160
I love the xba3, I urge anyone who is interested to give them a listen, they are truly great!

I sold mine and am getting the xba40, I will post updates on the sound and what I notice with them, I have a feeling I will be happy smily_headphones1.gif
post #953 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

The UE 700's are my next go to iem after my JVC HA-FXT90. The JVC's may be too aggressive for you? what's your price range?

$100-$250 USD. I was looking at the Sony MDR 7750 (yep, a little bit of a sony fanboy lol) and the T-PEOS H-200. Why do you say the JVC's might be too agressive?

post #954 of 1160

well..the mids of the FXT90's are a touch aggressive and forward, so they are not lush or smooth, but detailed and fun, but the have some of the most natural timbre in the iem world, have sublime separation and clarity, and definitely bright treble and tight deep bass, so maybe they would work for you?? I'd spend less and get more out of the FXT90's than the Sony 7750's. Heard lots of good things about the T-PEOS 200's. I'm currently after the JVC FXZ200. I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on these soon?

post #955 of 1160

I hadn't really considered the FXT90's before. But JVC does certainly know how to make some gorgeous IEM's. I haven't read too much about the FXZ200 to be honest, but from  what I've read the FX700's sound like another potentially good pair for you. I'm thinking the FXT90's would sound very similar to my ATH-CKM500, so maybe the FXZ200 or the FX700 would be more of an actual upgrade. Man... one thing I've never liked about dynamics is that you gotta burn them in.. As if it wasn't sufficient to wait for the package to be shipped and delivered.

post #956 of 1160

JVC carbon drivers need to be given aggressive and LOOOOOOONG burn in times, but the results are short of miraculous. JVC is amazing, and yes, they make gorgeous iem's that perform gorgeously.

post #957 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

JVC carbon drivers need to be given aggressive and LOOOOOOONG burn in times, but the results are short of miraculous. JVC is amazing, and yes, they make gorgeous iem's that perform gorgeously.

Holy hnnnnnnngg the FXZ200 are listed as triple dynamic IEM's. I knew there was a double dynamic IEM somewhere out there. But little did I know such a beauty existed. Now you've got me interested on the FXZ200. I'm looking at eBay listings and the prices range from as much as $398 to $186. Do you know what's a good price for these? 

post #958 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptj24 View Post
 

Holy hnnnnnnngg the FXZ200 are listed as triple dynamic IEM's. I knew there was a double dynamic IEM somewhere out there. But little did I know such a beauty existed. Now you've got me interested on the FXZ200. I'm looking at eBay listings and the prices range from as much as $398 to $186. Do you know what's a good price for these? 

yeah. Aren't they gorgeous?? And if the dual dynamic FXT90 sounds as great as it does, I can't imagine how gorgeous a triple dynamic will sound?! That's why I want these. I'd pay anything from $140-180 for these things. I'd never pay more than $200.00 for them. 

post #959 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

yeah. Aren't they gorgeous?? And if the dual dynamic FXT90 sounds as great as it does, I can't imagine how gorgeous a triple dynamic will sound?! That's why I want these. I'd pay anything from $140-180 for these things. I'd never pay more than $200.00 for them. 

The reason i say this is because I don't think any IEM is worth more than $200, unless it's a custom, or some 6-8 driver universal. I paid $600.00 for the Sennheiser IE800 and i've been collecting Sennheiser IEM's for years, from the cheapest to the most expensive, and though I've always loved the Sennheiser "sound", I realized after the IE800's that I wasn't in love with the house treble of the Senns anymore, and the bass is always just a bit too excessive for maximum clarity and resolution. I paid $140 for the UE TF 10's, and just shy of $600 for my UE customs, and both of those iem's showed the kind of resolution, transparency, realism, and clarity I have grown to love in an iem. The Senns don't have that, and they rely on wide band single dynamic drivers. $600-800 is WAYYYYYYY too much for a single driver that technically isn't much better than ba's that are $300 less. My old Sony XBA-30's, even though they can go as high as $230.00, didn't come close to being that all arounder I feel I get from the JVC FXT90. So with laws of diminished returns, I think a max of $180.00 is reasonable for the 200's, or any multi-driver iem that's not customized. 

post #960 of 1160
owning h1 and subsequently selling them I can say that sony has lost the edge
its focussing on the bass way more for my liking and ppl have resorted to modding the vents to balance the sound

their single dynamic drivers as low as 20-30$ though poor in details seem way more balanced

if they still want to continue with their multi armature offerings,either they reduce the price or at least get rid of mechanical crossovers for passive ones

I may find flak for saying this but mdr-ex083 that camd with my walkman e474 are way more balanced than xba h1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread.