Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread. - Page 20

post #286 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

You need some jvc fx40's wink.gif


I wouldn't call the fx40's dark. The high end is as prominent as the low to my ears. But.

back to the main subject.

 

I have a large part of my small music library uploaded to google music so I can listen anywhere.

As a result, most of my listening with the xba-3 has been done on my samsung phone with the 6-8 dB boost applied to the lowest frequencies (peak at 30-32hz).

I took the the xba-3 with me to the library and since I left my phone in my car because I did not want to be disturbed, fired up google music on the library pc.

Ignoring the quality of sound coming from the pc's sound card, what immediately struck me was the sound signature difference between using it on my phone and using it on the library pc.

Most importantly. That low end wasn't gone, I just had to listen harder for it. Then I remembered I had been using it on my phone the whole time with that boost around 30hz (same with my laptop media player by the way).

 

So, I guess that confirms my opinion of the xba-3. I like EVERYTHING except the lowest end of the low. Not because of quality, but because of quantity. The quality always shined through when I boosted the lowest end making obvious differences and subtleties in bass notes that I hadn't previously heard.
But just to note again, this is only applicable if I decided to listen to something with sounds from that low end (like EDM or hip-hop or even songs where the bass guitar is important).

 

On a side note when switching back to the poor man's version of the xba-3 (mh1c), there is a clear difference. Highs, speed, soundstage, separation, bass control are on a higher level as expected. I'm even convinced that the level of bass on the mh1c is unnecessary now (though welcome). Some (Dsnuts tongue.gif) have said mh1c is 80% xba-3 sound. I thought so at first but spending more and more time with the xba-3 and then comparing brings it closer to 74% with added bass.

post #287 of 1168
Quote:

Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post
 

You need some jvc fx40's wink.gif

 

 

Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

 

I wouldn't call the fx40's dark. The high end is as prominent as the low to my ears. But.

back to the main subject.

 

Lol! No, I was making a joke. I was suggesting the exact opposite of what I thought dabomb should get. I think the forum needs a special winky face for "I mean the exact opposite" lol. Indeed, I thought that the fx40's were very bright (I returned mine due to that).

 

Quote:

So, I guess that confirms my opinion of the xba-3. I like EVERYTHING except the lowest end of the low. Not because of quality, but because of quantity. The quality always shined through when I boosted the lowest end making obvious differences and subtleties in bass notes that I hadn't previously heard.
But just to note again, this is only applicable if I decided to listen to something with sounds from that low end (like EDM or hip-hop or even songs where the bass guitar is important).

 

On a side note when switching back to the poor man's version of the xba-3 (mh1c), there is a clear difference. Highs, speed, soundstage, separation, bass control are on a higher level as expected. I'm even convinced that the level of bass on the mh1c is unnecessary now (though welcome). Some (Dsnuts tongue.gif) have said mh1c is 80% xba-3 sound. I thought so at first but spending more and more time with the xba-3 and then comparing brings it closer to 74% with added bass.

 

+1 to all of that!

post #288 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

The album Sirens of The Sea by Oceanlab (project by Above & Beyond) actually sounds pretty great with these.  It's not really EDM though, but it is electronic, and is very trance-like.  But unlike most electronic music the dynamic range isn't massively compressed (even if it is still fairly compressed by audiophile standards) and the treble doesn't sound overly peaky with these.  The bass manages to have a surprising amount of slam too.

 

Hey, I'm still dealing with the Moombahton that you got me onto lol! I've been listening to this (light blue tips of course), and wow, sounds all right to me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RA2bQeAz54&feature=fvst

 

Ok, time for some Oceanlab. Hmmm... Gorgeous! Feel free to keep recommending awesome music :)

post #289 of 1168

Is the XBA-3 considered high-end?

post #290 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Hey, I'm still dealing with the Moombahton that you got me onto lol! I've been listening to this (light blue tips of course), and wow, sounds all right to me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RA2bQeAz54&feature=fvst

 

Ok, time for some Oceanlab. Hmmm... Gorgeous! Feel free to keep recommending awesome music :)

Moombah is great! Here are some good mixes if you wanted to hear them:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdHQMG5Ry4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprkd1 View Post

Is the XBA-3 considered high-end?

I guess it's probably considered lower-high end?  As in, it's probably ~80-90% of what you can get with higher end universals.  Law of diminishing returns starts to kick in pretty early nowadays it seems. :P

post #291 of 1168
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

 

I guess it's probably considered lower-high end?  As in, it's probably ~80-90% of what you can get with higher end universals.  Law of diminishing returns starts to kick in pretty early nowadays it seems. :P

Don't confuse the man. lower high end = high end. wink_face.gif

I mean really. three armatures? from sony? at $300?

post #292 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

Don't confuse the man. lower high end = high end. wink_face.gif

I mean really. three armatures? from sony? at $300?

Or $130 if you're a lucky canadian. :P

post #293 of 1168

lol. well.

mine are up for sale.

post #294 of 1168

Has anybody used Comply tips with these? For a long time I was using the small noise isolating tips with a bad seal and finally got around to trying the medium ones and they provide a pretty good one but nothing great, the quality definitely improved but I'm looking to get the most out of them.

post #295 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidel cashflow View Post

Has anybody used Comply tips with these? For a long time I was using the small noise isolating tips with a bad seal and finally got around to trying the medium ones and they provide a pretty good one but nothing great, the quality definitely improved but I'm looking to get the most out of them.

 

I use the light blue non-foam tips, which I suppose are larger. They provide a great seal for me, increase bass, and lower the brighness a notch. Overall they sound best to me (ie they sound awaeome). I'll be getting a batch of foam tips soon which I'll try as well, although I suspect that they will muffle the sound somewhat.

post #296 of 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

I couldn't do an XBA-3 vs XBA-30 comparison cos the only XBA-3 they had there had a dodgy right driver. They actually didn't know the driver was faulty until I told them and they had to take it off the shelf.

 

My tests are by no means conclusive and I'd like to spend more time with them. I'll try to meet up with Arnaud or Currawong next month and will ask them for their units.

well im very interested in hearing if they tuned the tweeters away from that metallic feeling. they worked well for strings, but strangely unnatural for voices/symbols. 

post #297 of 1168
Thread Starter 

Hey guys I just found a nice Meelec tip that fits all Sonys without modding that give out just a good a sound as my JVC tips. Try out this pack You can just order the tip size you use or this variety pack that give you a set of double flange tips that might work well with other iems. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts4-cmb-50-bk.htm .. I am using the large single flange tips and it fits perfect and is very comfy .

post #298 of 1168

can you get me an xba-3 for $130??? :-P

post #299 of 1168

Have anyone here tried using the Comply Eartips that is made for Apple in-ear on these XBA? If so, please tell me if it work :) Does it improve the sound quality?

post #300 of 1168

I finally created an account specifically to notify people Groupon has the XBA-3iP on sale for $130: 

 

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sony-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones?c=all&p=33

 

I've been a long-time lurker on Head-fi. Currently own TF10 and Miles Davis Tributes. How does the XBA-3 compare with those IEMs? Thanks guys. smily_headphones1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread.