Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Mad Dog Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Mad Dog Appreciation Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 88
Truth be told, having Voldemort as a customer is a bit worrisome. ;-)
post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Truth be told, having Voldemort as a customer is a bit worrisome. ;-)

Ha. 

 

Mr. Speakers I would like to thank you for these headphones. Very comfortable and the noise isolation is absolutely superb. Regarding comfort, I would put these on par with the HD598 and more comfortable than the Denon D2000 or Beyer DT880 600. Anyone looking for a dark closed can should no look further than the Mad Dogs. It is really enjoyable to get both a bright (HD598) and dark (Mad Dogs) presentation of the music.My only disappointment in them was the dampened dynamic range of piano and somewhat lackluster timbre (of female voices, though males voices were fantastic), but this is in comparison to an open headphone. When it comes to speed and bass extension, certainly no dynamic headphone can compete. I could finally hear all the subbass regions of my organ recordings and the rumble from my other bass heavy genres that I loved about the Denons. Oh and I almost forgot: the imaging and soundstage of the Mad Dogs are the absolute best I've heard in a closed can. I am not exaggerating here. 

post #33 of 88
Thanks for the kind words!
post #34 of 88

1 day away from my Mad Dogs + UHA-6S mkii

 

Can't realy wait....

 

I don't realy know what to expect, but I'll find out soon enough!

 

Happy new year Dan, and everyone on head-fi!

post #35 of 88

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone, with my sincerest gratitude...

post #36 of 88

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the forums and to audiophilia. I'm planning on running this for my portable setup:

 

Laptop --> FiiO E10 (for DAC) --> JDS Labs cmoyBB 2.03, 2x9V version (AD8066) --> Mad Dogs

 

Will this setup drive the Mad Dogs adequately, or do I need to rethink my setup? I have a budget of $200 for a portable DAC and AMP, so I was wondering if there are better alternatives to the one I thought out.

post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the forums and to audiophilia. I'm planning on running this for my portable setup:

 

Laptop --> FiiO E10 (for DAC) --> JDS Labs cmoyBB 2.03, 2x9V version (AD8066) --> Mad Dogs

 

Will this setup drive the Mad Dogs adequately, or do I need to rethink my setup? I have a budget of $200 for a portable DAC and AMP, so I was wondering if there are better alternatives to the one I thought out.

Should work well enoughredface.gif Down the road maybe consider another more quality portable amp, sorry forgetting the names of ones that can drive the Mad Dogs.

post #38 of 88

I thought I'd share the link to this review by Edd Noble. I hope it's okay.

 

http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/01/mr-speakers-mad-dog-review.html

post #39 of 88

is it just exaggeration/ hype or are the mad dogs actually on par with the audeze LCD2?

post #40 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelboy1210 View Post

is it just exaggeration/ hype or are the mad dogs actually on par with the audeze LCD2?

 

Probably both? lol

I haven't tried the LCD2s but it seems that although the MDs do deliver great sound reproduction in with a similar (darkish) tone, the LCD2s still beat the MDs in bass quantity and details... The latest charts/measurements do actually put them "on par" (with the exception of the 'high' region):

 

https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

 

Anyway, the best judge will always be your ears. ;-)

For more impressions, I believe that people have been vocal about this on the Mad Dog review thread:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review

post #41 of 88

Currently in the market to upgrade the closed HP option in my collection.

 

My current gear is in my profile. The driver here is to improve SQ and isolation over my ATH-M50's.

 

If any one can give me an impression of what these offer over the M50's, and how the sound profile compares to the SD-650 (which I like), I would appreciate.

 

Musical taste: Rock, jazz, pop, classical.

 

Use for travel, portable use, and isolation from wife's TV when working/playing on the computer.
 

Thanks!

post #42 of 88

The new Alpha Pads are absolutely on par with LCD-2. Much depends on your preferences, but the Alpha's are much more airy and open. Punchy bass, full warm mids, detailed highs that are never harsh.

 

In comparison the LCD's do still sound more open, in which, they are. But the Mad Dogs are extremely good. But only your ears can tell you if they're up to par or not.


Edited by paradoxper - 2/14/13 at 8:43am
post #43 of 88

hey same here! i'm looking to graduate from my m50s

post #44 of 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl5709 View Post

Currently in the market to upgrade the closed HP option in my collection.

 

My current gear is in my profile. The driver here is to improve SQ and isolation over my ATH-M50's.

 

If any one can give me an impression of what these offer over the M50's, and how the sound profile compares to the SD-650 (which I like), I would appreciate.

 

Musical taste: Rock, jazz, pop, classical.

 

Use for travel, portable use, and isolation from wife's TV when working/playing on the computer.
 

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelboy1210 View Post

hey same here! I'm looking to graduate from my m50s

 

 

I just did the step up from my m50s to the Mad dogs about a week ago. There is almost no comparison. It's a totally different animal.

Note: I've been using some Beyer velour replacement pads on my m50's for better comfort, but it diminishes the isolation. 

 

Comfort vs m50s

The Mad Dogs are heavier, but the leather comfort strap makes it almost unnoticeable. The isolation on the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha pads is really good. There doesn't seem to be much if any leakage at all, and anyone that wants to talk to me pretty much has to tap me on the shoulder for me to notice that they are even standing there. The pads are like wonderful pillows.

The clamp is still there, but not nearly as bad as the m50s, it is also adjustable if you spend a little time with the band, though a little clamp helps with the bass IMO. 

They do get a little warm on my ears after a while, but nothing like the sweat-inducing sauna pads that came with the m50s. For me, the comfort is an 8.5/10. That's saying a lot from me. I'm super sensitive to discomforts as my head is large and so are my ears, so just about anything will set me off.

 

Build Quality:

They feel solid. I still treat them like I do my 3 month old twins though. Stock cable is thick and sturdy. The new Alpha pads are fantastic and make you feel like you're wearing $1000+ headphones. The stitching seems like it will hold up well. The pads will undoubtedly last much longer than the pleather m50s pads that become brittle and crack. 

 

Sound:

After listening to the Mad Dogs for a week, I finally switched back to my m50s and tested them using the same setup (foobar2k -> Modi -> Magni -> Headphones) and music tracks. My first though was "blah". They sounded muddy and bloated. To be totally honest it was hard to keep listening knowing that I had the Mad Dogs a foot away. 

That being said, I still enjoy the m50s for movies, some games, and certain bass heavy genres where I want a hard hitting punch and rumble. Eventually I'll probably sell off the m50s to upgrade to a better V-shaped sounding can. I'm still searching the forums and reviews to get a good idea on what that will be. That being said, it does take a little time to adjust to a new sound signature after listening mostly from my m50s, so make sure to have an open mind (ear?) and let yourself adjust.

 

Final thoughts:

I searched for weeks to make my decision, and I don't regret the Mad Dogs at all. I do recommend that you have a amp that can properly juice up the Mad Dogs to really get a quality experience. I tried to run them out of my Galaxy s2 with an old airhead portable amp (basically a crap DAC and low-end amp) and the SQ was extremely disappointing, a far far cry from the Majesty that comes from my Magni/Modi. 

Hopefully this helps a little with your decision making.

post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

 

 

 

I just did the step up from my m50s to the Mad dogs about a week ago. There is almost no comparison. It's a totally different animal.

Note: I've been using some Beyer velour replacement pads on my m50's for better comfort, but it diminishes the isolation. 

 

Comfort vs m50s

The Mad Dogs are heavier, but the leather comfort strap makes it almost unnoticeable. The isolation on the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha pads is really good. There doesn't seem to be much if any leakage at all, and anyone that wants to talk to me pretty much has to tap me on the shoulder for me to notice that they are even standing there. The pads are like wonderful pillows.

The clamp is still there, but not nearly as bad as the m50s, it is also adjustable if you spend a little time with the band, though a little clamp helps with the bass IMO. 

They do get a little warm on my ears after a while, but nothing like the sweat-inducing sauna pads that came with the m50s. For me, the comfort is an 8.5/10. That's saying a lot from me. I'm super sensitive to discomforts as my head is large and so are my ears, so just about anything will set me off.

 

Build Quality:

They feel solid. I still treat them like I do my 3 month old twins though. Stock cable is thick and sturdy. The new Alpha pads are fantastic and make you feel like you're wearing $1000+ headphones. The stitching seems like it will hold up well. The pads will undoubtedly last much longer than the pleather m50s pads that become brittle and crack. 

 

Sound:

After listening to the Mad Dogs for a week, I finally switched back to my m50s and tested them using the same setup (foobar2k -> Modi -> Magni -> Headphones) and music tracks. My first though was "blah". They sounded muddy and bloated. To be totally honest it was hard to keep listening knowing that I had the Mad Dogs a foot away. 

That being said, I still enjoy the m50s for movies, some games, and certain bass heavy genres where I want a hard hitting punch and rumble. Eventually I'll probably sell off the m50s to upgrade to a better V-shaped sounding can. I'm still searching the forums and reviews to get a good idea on what that will be. That being said, it does take a little time to adjust to a new sound signature after listening mostly from my m50s, so make sure to have an open mind (ear?) and let yourself adjust.

 

Final thoughts:

I searched for weeks to make my decision, and I don't regret the Mad Dogs at all. I do recommend that you have a amp that can properly juice up the Mad Dogs to really get a quality experience. I tried to run them out of my Galaxy s2 with an old airhead portable amp (basically a crap DAC and low-end amp) and the SQ was extremely disappointing, a far far cry from the Majesty that comes from my Magni/Modi. 

Hopefully this helps a little with your decision making.

 

Well, I took the plunge, and you are correct in every way. These are a significant move from the ATH-M50, and I am very pleased with them. The signature and SQ are on par with my HD-650's, and I do not feel like I am giving anything up when I want to be isolated from external "noise".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Mad Dog Appreciation Thread