- 1,701 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones for <= $100 for use with Electronic Piano? Or problem with mine? Last post on 7/16/10 at 1:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which of the following headphones complement my DT990 best? Last post on 11/8/12 at 3:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for the right open design Last post on 9/30/12 at 9:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New to Audiophile world Last post on 9/23/12 at 8:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
Headphones Too Good For System?post #1 of 1510/27/12 at 10:23amThread StarterAs the owner of a no-frills amplifier (Taec AR610) and an equally low budget Denon CD player, I am wondering if there is any sense in looking to buy a pair of mid-range headphones - something like the Grado SR325i's. I am a newbie here, but I read about folk buying similar specced headphones to pair up with iPods/laptops etc. Would the Grados be a waste of money matched with such a mediocre system? (I am on a tight budget and will not be investing in a dedicated headphone amp.)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1510/27/12 at 2:55pmThread Starterpost #3 of 1510/27/12 at 4:17pmpost #4 of 1510/27/12 at 4:36pm
Grado SR325is are very user picky from experience, even for Grado fans like myself. I like my hot treble, but be warned with the SR325is, it has one of the brightest treble I've ever experience. Returned the 325is for the 225i and I'm still happy today. Specification wise, Grados don't need amping, but they do like being amped. I noticed they sound much sweeter with tube amps (generally speaking) than SS amps.post #5 of 1510/27/12 at 10:26pmpost #6 of 1510/27/12 at 10:53pm
Headphones really aren't complicated, but the analysis (or over-analysis) of audio gear can certainly displace the enjoyment of music for music's sake. It's been said that there are those who listen to their gear, and there are those who listen to music. The general tone of discussion at Head-fi tends to empower the former.
Edited by swmtnbiker - 10/27/12 at 10:55pmpost #7 of 1510/27/12 at 11:20pmQuote:
Orchestras are the real thing. Music concerts are crap; they sound nothing like the album thanks to their special pitch editing, not to mention that the stage equipment are crap. Crappy mics, deafening loud and distorted speakers maxed out on sibilance, musicians dancing around losing focus on the music. Concerts were there to see the musicians live, not really to enjoy the music. That's why recordings specially edited with everything you can think of exists so we can enjoy digitally edited pitch perfect and amazing instruments that we do not hear live.post #8 of 1510/27/12 at 11:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tony1110
As the owner of a no-frills amplifier (Taec AR610) and an equally low budget Denon CD player, I am wondering if there is any sense in looking to buy a pair of mid-range headphones - something like the Grado SR325i's. I am a newbie here, but I read about folk buying similar speced headphones to pair up with iPods/laptops etc. Would the Grados be a waste of money matched with such a mediocre system? (I am on a tight budget and will not be investing in a dedicated headphone amp.)
I believe it's Teac, not Taec.
What model Denon CD player is it?
I'm assuming this setup is for just CD music only?
What is your budget?post #9 of 1510/27/12 at 11:54pmQuote:
Lol guys I was kidding. I'm not that oldpost #10 of 1510/27/12 at 11:59pm
Are you planning on sticking with the gear you have or do you plan on upgrading to better stuff at some point? I'd say the SR325i's would work great now and keep on working great, even better when you've upgraded to a better/amp source. I got my AKG K701's knowing my system probably isn't quite up to par, however now that I have some outstanding cans I can plan future upgrades around them.
Get the SR325i's. They won't cease to be relevant when you get better sounding gear, they'll actually benefit.post #11 of 1510/28/12 at 4:28amThread StarterI've done a bit of research since posting here and I think I'll go for the 225s after all. I've read posts by people in these forums who use vastly more expensive "'phones" without access to any form of amplification and that's reassured me that my cheap amplifier is better than no amplifier at all. I do own a pair of Shure 535 IEMs which I use with an iPod and although the sound is exceptionally clear I'm hoping for a more full-on effect when I hear the Grados driven through an amp - cheap though it is. The reason I'm making this purchase is to obtain the best possible sound while spending the least amount of money; perhaps a reasonably priced headphone amp could be considered at some point in the future. As 95% of my listening is done through headphones, I'd much rather make that purchase than splash out on a whole new fancy system.post #12 of 157/23/13 at 1:08am
We tend to get a little carried away in this hobby (understatement of the year, I know). Upgrading your headphones first will probably bring the most dramatic improvement to your system, you don't necessarily need world-class gear in order to enjoy them.
Unless it's a power-hungry headphone like the Audeze and Hifiman planars, or the Sennheiser HD800 (I know people will argue this one, but it does sound best with a hefty amount of current behind it. I've heard it), a modest source chain with a great headphone (e.g. SR225) will almost always sound better than a mediocre headphone (e.g. $40 Sony) backed by an expensive source chain. This is a bit of an exaggeration, yes, but it illustrates my point. My grandfather once said, "If your speakers suck, does it really matter how good your amp is?).
Buy the SR225, and if it sounds good to you, leave well enough alone. We sometimes tend to use music to listen to our equipment, rather than using our equipment to listen to the music.
I prefer the SR225 to the 325, personally. I found the 325 extremely bright, and the metal housings are heavy which makes them uncomfortable after a while.
I use a vintage Pioneer SA-8500 integrated amp to power my HD650s. World class? Wasn't even top of the line when it was introduced in 1976. Does it sound really really really good? Oh yes . Best $100 I've spent in a while.post #13 of 157/23/13 at 2:44amThread Starterpost #14 of 157/23/13 at 2:33pm
- Headphones Too Good For System?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread 26 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 48 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Europe cheapest Beyerdynamic T70p 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2