Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD598 (or a better headphone suggestion under $300)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD598 (or a better headphone suggestion under $300)

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

I have been using a Sennheiser cx500 in-ear headphones for about three years and now decided to buy a better headphone. After a small research Sennheiser HD598 seemed like a good choice. But I wanted to take your opinions:

 

I mostly listen to classical, jazz and postrock. (Sometimes also funk.) Is this a good headphone for these types of music? I know most of the HD598 owners complain about the headphone's bass quality, but do you think that the current bass quality would be a problem for me according to my musical taste?

 

Do you have any headphone suggestions under $300 that would fit me better than HD598?

 

Also I saw some people bought HD598 for under $200 (not used). Do you have any idea where I can find the best price for the headphones in New York? I am planning to buy my headphones when I go to NY two weeks later and do not have an idea where I can find the best price. 

 

Regards,

Amadeus

 

edit: Some more details: My archive consists mostly FLAC. I am addicted to good music and cannot stand a second without listening to good music. Therefore I need really comfortable headphones. Lots of people say that Grados are not good for listening to music more than 2 hours. Is it true? If yes, unfortunately it is not suitable for me. Also, please consider that I do not have any amps at the moment.


Edited by mathamadeus - 10/26/12 at 4:48pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

I have been using a Sennheiser cx500 in-ear headphones for about three years and now decided to buy a better headphone. After a small research Sennheiser HD598 seemed like a good choice. But I wanted to take your opinions:

I mostly listen to classical, jazz and postrock. (Sometimes also funk.) Is this a good headphone for these types of music? I know most of the HD598 owners complain about the headphone's bass quality, but do you think that the current bass quality would be a problem for me according to my musical taste?

Do you have any headphone suggestions under $300 that would fit me better than HD598?

Also I saw some people bought HD598 for under $200 (not used). Do you have any idea where I can find the best price for the headphones in New York? I am planning to buy my headphones when I go to NY two weeks later and do not have an idea where I can find the best price. 

 

edit: Some more details: My archive consists mostly FLAC. I am addicted to good music and cannot stand a second without listening to good music. Therefore I need really comfortable headphones. Lots of people say that Grados are not good for listening to music more than 2 hours. Is it true? If yes, unfortunately it is not suitable for me.

What are you plugging the headphones into?

DAC & amp?

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

What are you plugging the headphones into?

DAC & amp?

Ops I forgot to give any information about that issue. I do not have any DAC&amp. My current option is to use a receiver which is about 10 years old and I do not have an idea how well it works. Do you think that it would work well? Anyway, I am curious about amps and planning to build one myself in the future but currently do not have time for that. Therefore, if you are going to suggest me a headphone which certainly requires an amp, then please consider that my total budget is $300. Unfortunately I do not have any more. :/

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

Ops I forgot to give any information about that issue. I do not have any DAC&amp. My current option is to use a receiver which is about 10 years old and I do not have an idea how well it works. Do you think that it would work well? Anyway, I am curious about amps and planning to build one myself in the future but currently do not have time for that. Therefore, if you are going to suggest me a headphone which certainly requires an amp, then please consider that my total budget is $300. Unfortunately I do not have any more. :/

Chances are that a 10 year old receiver should work at least decently with HD598 (50-Ohm).

What make and model is this receiver?

How do you feed (source) the music into the receiver?

A DAC between the source and the receiver might improve audio quality.

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Chances are that a 10 year old receiver should work at least decently with HD598 (50-Ohm).

What make and model is this receiver?

How do you feed (source) the music into the receiver?

A DAC between the source and the receiver might improve audio quality.

 

It is a Pioneer but cannot recall the model at the moment. I am on holiday and away from home. But three days later I will be able to give explicit information about it. 

 

About feeding the music into the receiver, I will use my laptop as the source. But I do not have an idea how to connect my laptop to the receiver. (I do not know what kind of inputs does my receiver have.)

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

It is a Pioneer but cannot recall the model at the moment. I am on holiday and away from home. But three days later I will be able to give explicit information about it. 

About feeding the music into the receiver, I will use my laptop as the source. But I do not have an idea how to connect my laptop to the receiver. (I do not know what kind of inputs does my receiver have.)

Chances are the laptop comes with a very low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

For $52, you should be able to improve the audio quality of the feed to your receiver, with the Hifimediy Sabre, an external USB DAC,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140847495065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

Then just run a mini-jack to RCA (red/white) cable from the USB DAC to the receiver.

post #7 of 18

There is no "best price" for Sennheisers any more. Sennheiser has clampled down on dealers selling below MSRP. 

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Chances are the laptop comes with a very low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

For $52, you should be able to improve the audio quality of the feed to your receiver, with the Hifimediy Sabre, an external USB DAC,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140847495065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

Then just run a mini-jack to RCA (red/white) cable from the USB DAC to the receiver.

 

I think I can find a quite good DAC for free which means I still have $300 for the headphone+amp. Do you have any suggestions about the headphone+amp issue? Is HD598 a good choice for my musical taste?

post #9 of 18
I owned the HD598 as well as the HD600 and many other headphones. I would recommend the HD600 of you can stretch your budget a bit further. IMO the HD600s are more refined and would suit your needs better. The HD580 IS not a bad choice by any means but HD600 is another level above it. Another suggestion is the Beyerdynamics DT-880 which is around your budget.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Bao Quan View Post

I owned the HD598 as well as the HD600 and many other headphones. I would recommend the HD600 of you can stretch your budget a bit further. IMO the HD600s are more refined and would suit your needs better. The HD580 IS not a bad choice by any means but HD600 is another level above it. Another suggestion is the Beyerdynamics DT-880 which is around your budget.

 

I wish I could directly buy a HD600 today. But it is really out of my budget. As a university student, I do not earn much and nearly all the money I earn goes to my home rent and food. Therefore I may need to wait 2 or 3 more months to save $100. But if the difference is so huge between HD598 and HD600, I do not want to waste my money and prefer to wait another 2 or 3 months. : )

 

What about Beyerdynamics DT-880 vs HD598?

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

 

I wish I could directly buy a HD600 today. But it is really out of my budget. As a university student, I do not earn much and nearly all the money I earn goes to my home rent and food. Therefore I may need to wait 2 or 3 more months to save $100. But if the difference is so huge between HD598 and HD600, I do not want to waste my money and prefer to wait another 2 or 3 months. : )

 

What about Beyerdynamics DT-880 vs HD598?

You could save a few dollars and buy used HD558s ($148.02, like new) from Electronics Expo.

 

Also subscribe to the Head-fi thread "Headphones for Sale", something used might pop up for a good price.

Sometimes there are some good deals on used DT880.

post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

What about Beyerdynamics DT-880 vs HD598?

The DT-880 is on the same level of the HD-600 in terms of natural, neutral sound. Don't let the cheaper price tag fool you, the DT-880 is a step above the HD-598 like the HD-600. I personally like the DT-880 more.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathamadeus View Post

After a small research Sennheiser HD598 seemed like a good choice.  Therefore I need really comfortable headphones. 

 

Sony MA900s are even more comfortable than HD598. Recently they were $199 at Amazon but now they have returned to initial price of $300.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

You could save a few dollars and buy used HD558s ($148.02, like new) from Electronics Expo.

 

Also subscribe to the Head-fi thread "Headphones for Sale", something used might pop up for a good price.

Sometimes there are some good deals on used DT880.

 

You are right. I never considered buying a used headphone. I was suspicious about it but I started to think that there is nothing to be suspicious about.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Bao Quan View Post


The DT-880 is on the same level of the HD-600 in terms of natural, neutral sound. Don't let the cheaper price tag fool you, the DT-880 is a step above the HD-598 like the HD-600. I personally like the DT-880 more.

 

Which type of DT880 did you have and what can you say about its acoustic music performance? According to the comments I read, many people say that DT880 (250ohms) is worse than HD598 for classical music. Do you have an idea about this issue?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post

 

Sony MA900s are even more comfortable than HD598. Recently they were $199 at Amazon but now they have returned to initial price of $300.

Oh that situations drive me nuts. Today I found out that 2 months ago a store sold HD600s for the price of HD598 and I got sad. :/ Anyway, I will take your suggestion into consideration. I saw that there are quite good comments about MA900. But I am wondering why there are not too many people using MA900? Is it because it is relatively a new headphone or is it just because of any other reason?

 

 



Also I would like to get your opinions about AKG Q701, Grado SR325is and Shure SRH940. What do you think about these?

post #15 of 18

Mathamadeus:

 

i was reading your thread and I wondered which one you bought and were you pleased with your choice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD598 (or a better headphone suggestion under $300)