or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 60

post #886 of 6492

REFERENCE sound on my SAMSUNGfone

 

 

OK GUYS...START selling your HE-6, 009, T1, HD800 ! 

okok its just my first hour......let me burn in this baby :P

 

 

 

.....Gladiator...CrouchingTigers...MissionImp... scintillating off this tiny REFERENCE unburnt can.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/6/14 at 5:30am
post #887 of 6492

Listened to mine for about six hours yesterday--the school had a snow day!

1x JAN-Sylvania 6SN7WGT and 2x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB: one of the best performing combinations so far.  Cymbal detail is incredible.  The inherent speed of the Mikros 90 drivers is faithfully delivered and beautifully highlighted.

GREAT with organ music!  Maybe the best I've heard so far.

These little babies STILL seem to keep sounding better and better, even after 350+ hours.

FiiO RC MH1 still has not arrived yet.

 

Music:

Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits (Warner Brothers)

Linda Ronstadt: Greatest Hits (Elektra): Linda's vocal was luscious on "Ooh Baby Baby".  The bass on "Different Drum" was really well-recorded.  This track blew me away unexpectedly.

Anton Bruckner: Symphony Number 4 "Romantische"/Claudio Abbado VPO (Deutsch Grammophon): Third movement: Wow! that transition from full-blown brass to velvety strings is awesome.  Bruckner ROCKS!

J.S. Bach: Dorian Toccata & Fugue BWV 538/Helmut Walcha (Archiv)  The tonal saturation from Walcha's selection of stops is wonderful.  Sense of space and grandeur well-preserved with the MLs.

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Greatest Hits (Columbia/Legacy)  Just a wonderful listen from beginning to end.

Seals and Crofts: Greatest Hits (Warner Brothers)

Blood, Sweat & Tears: Blood, Sweat & Tears (Columbia)

Art Pepper: Surf Ride (Savoy)

 

I repeat: these ARE the best headphones I have ever heard!


Edited by pataburd - 2/6/14 at 1:52pm
post #888 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 


^ Hope, i'll keep it to myself for now, but will post about it later along with some initial impressions. The pad over pad mod works amazing well on these Logans. So the overall comfort is much better, along with a easier fit/ more consistency in sound cuz the stock pads are no longer pressed hard and flat against your ears.

 

Wore them with the stock pads for like 2 hours last night and despite they were really comfy, ears started to get really sore after an hour, so this pad on pad mod addresses A LOT of the comfort/ seal issues for me.

 

Stay tuned. :ph34r:


Brilliant !!

post #889 of 6492

Nice to see everyone is getting they're new ML's in and liking the first impressions, it only gets better from hear, now you can decide whether its just hype or these babies really do such a wonderful job.

   My only regret is my daily driver is having issues so I'm gonna get my 280zx registered and road worthy and start driving her, so my Oppo purchase will be delayed a month or so, but to be honest, I love my Z's, so spending my hard earned  cash on my car is all good.

 

Cheers and keep the impressions and reviews coming in.

post #890 of 6492

stray tots..

 

The clamp reminds me of DT1350, HD25.

 

Very high extention, very clear, very good separation,

spacey hall-like quality, lotsa depth, vocals slightly recessed making me want to increase the volume.

Textured quality bass, not boated. Captivating ethereal sound, like a cross between a T1 and a LCD2...lolz.

 

Thus far, i like it for JAZZ, POP, TRANCE, AMBIENCE..VOCALs..

 

Classicals n SOUNDTRACK...think i still prefer the BIGBIG soundscape of the BIG CANs...AT THE MOMENT.

( i havent hook up my tube amps yet...listening thru the NFB10.32 dac-amp right this moment)

Easily beats the KEF/NAD/UE etc...the best ON EAR to my taste. 

I am biased...ON EARs are like BOOKSHELF speakers to me, though this is a very good ON EAR :P

unlikely i will sell the HE6.

------

 

The cable is too short for my home use..hmmmm.... 

post #891 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorZ View Post
 

Nice to see everyone is getting they're new ML's in and liking the first impressions, it only gets better from hear, now you can decide whether its just hype or these babies really do such a wonderful job.

   My only regret is my daily driver is having issues so I'm gonna get my 280zx registered and road worthy and start driving her, so my Oppo purchase will be delayed a month or so, but to be honest, I love my Z's, so spending my hard earned  cash on my car is all good.

 

Cheers and keep the impressions and reviews coming in.

 

PredatorZ,

did u regret trimming the edges of the inner foam? How did it affect the soundstage..?

was wondering if the slanted funnelled sides of the foam create a kind of HORN effect...?

post #892 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

stray tots..

 

The clamp reminds me of DT1350, HD25.

 

Very high extention, very clear, very good separation,

spacey hall-like quality, lotsa depth, vocals slightly recessed making me want to increase the volume.

Textured quality bass, not boated. Captivating ethereal sound, like a cross between a T1 and a LCD2...lolz.

 

Thus far, i like it for JAZZ, POP, TRANCE, AMBIENCE..VOCALs..

 

Classicals n SOUNDTRACK...think i still prefer the BIGBIG soundscape of the BIG CANs...AT THE MOMENT.

( i havent hook up my tube amps yet...listening thru the NFB10.32 dac-amp right this moment)

Easily beats the KEF/NAD/UE etc...the best ON EAR to my taste. 

I am biased...ON EARs are like BOOKSHELF speakers to me, though this is a very good ON EAR :P

unlikely i will sell the HE6.

------

 

The cable is too short for my home use..hmmmm.... 

The Mikros 90 rendering of 3-D space is very natural and organic.  It seems to scale right to the specifications of the recording.  Sometimes the sense of space is very large; sometimes not-so large--depending on the recording.  The likes of Bruckner, Wagner and Tchaikovsky are all well served, with the orchestral scale preserved intact with the MLs.

Glad to hear someone corroborate my opinion of the Mikros 90 vis-a-vis the KEF M500: "easily beats" is a polite way of putting it.  It's the difference between pop mid-fi and reference class hifi, IMHO.

Wait until you get 200 or so hours on the Mikros 90.  You think they sound good now  . . . .

I have been listening to mine regularly for the last 9 weeks and I am still amazed at what these things can do.


Edited by pataburd - 2/6/14 at 6:22am
post #893 of 6492

For once i noticed/believed n respect the word REFERENCE on the box of the MartimLOGAN...

i seen it so often on many boxes i ceased to bother. hehe.

 

Any ML staff reading this? :beerchug:

post #894 of 6492
So a bit of follow up. Love the Mikros 90. An amazing set of closed back, small format headphones that deliver detailed music across the spectrum in spades. My problem. Protruding Antihelixes.

The Antihelix is that cartilage of the outter ear that forms the Concha cavity. Mine are very rigid, formed and protrude outward a small fraction too much, causing the Mikros 90 to want to flip flat. This messes with my seal and destroys bass quality and isolation for me. The only way I can wear them is backwards. Which is asinine looking.

So, I've bequeathed them to my wife upon whose head and ears they fit absolutely perfectly. She normally listens to iPod ear buds. Never really got the Audiophile thing. Things anything more than $12 for replacement buds is a rip off. That is, until she got the Mikros and fired up Spectrum by Zedd, the her Alice In Chains, then some Nora Jones and two hours later she takes them off to tell me I can't have them back.

They were already hers anyway. I just wanted to make sure she could appreciate them before gifting them. Voila! Another buff is born. For $90 I am a hero.
post #895 of 6492

Maybe u could add foam to the front of the pads...to resist them flipping flat? 

(thats my T1..:P)

 

=========

 

plugged the Mikros directly into the MacAir/Itune/Audirvana...

this can sounds great off many simple devices...

the cable barely reached my amp..

the audioquest cable is also 4ft...arrgghhhh


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/6/14 at 7:07am
post #896 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by phara0hseye View Post



They were already hers anyway. I just wanted to make sure she could appreciate them before gifting them. Voila! Another buff is born. For $90 I am a hero.

Haha...we shall raise a statue of you on Headifi boulevard.

 

 

Why don't you try sfwalcer's pad mod...or try a different pad and see if the comfort improves.  If it does, you could reclaim the Mikros from your wife while she is not looking.   This would mean that the statue would have to come down, of course.


Edited by elvergun - 2/6/14 at 8:02am
post #897 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

Maybe u could add foam to the front of the pads...to resist them flipping flat? 

(thats my T1..:P)

 

=========

 

plugged the Mikros directly into the MacAir/Itune/Audirvana...

this can sounds great off many simple devices...

the cable barely reached my amp..

the audioquest cable is also 4ft...arrgghhhh

 

Just get a cable extension.   My T5p also has a short cable, so it is always attached to an extension.

post #898 of 6492

i should pick up another mikros90 as a backup 5yrs down the line?

Or should i wait for a circumaural Mikros100?, i am expecting great things from ML,

if they have NOT given up...our headfi fanclub is kinda tiny...financially not feasible i guess. 

post #899 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

Just get a cable extension.   My T5p also has a short cable, so it is always attached to an extension.

 

 

yesyes how silly of me....i have a good one from Ultrasone. ")

 

( i just added it between Mikros cable n the laptop..oooo the sound has ADDED BODY...u guys might wanna try it.

http://shopworld.ultrasone.com/us/product.php?id_product=44

 

The effect of this extention cable..is like adding Comply foam to your iem..more body, highs tamed a little. v palatable.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/6/14 at 7:51am
post #900 of 6492
Mikros 100...Drooling...
I've been having seal problems to. They fit much better on my thin hoodie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones