Well, I decide to deflower my ML Mikros 90 today. I am not going to repeat what others already said abt the cans.
From my IMac to the USB AE D1 ( yes, I know the limitation of USB DAC), this is what I perceive out of the box .
1. Diana Krall- A case of you : Clean, detail but a bit sibilant on the vocals. The piano notes are properly position but still kind of thin.
2. Diana Krall- Temptation: Again some not offensive but a bit sibilant on the ""s", "Sh". The drum sticks nail right on the spot.
3. Patricia Barber- Ode to Bily Joe. The bass strings are more than I can expect. I can hear the vibration of each strings, job well done.
4. Neil young- Harvest moon : Guitar strings is somewhat skinny but the sound of the harmonica is spot on, not in the middle but slight a bit to the left- perfectly reproducing. Sound stage is somewhat 3D image. I can heard the vocal right in the middle, guitar strings extended behind and below the earlobes. Still a bit sibilant in vocal.
5. Dire Straits- Money for nothing: perfect mid bass punch, image is again somewhat more than I expected for a on ear cans, somewhat 3D.
These are my and on my first impression of the Mikros 90. I can see that the ML 90 will be a love-it or hate-it on ear can. This is a hi-end piece of gear that the bass head listeners need to stay clear. Very detail, very accurate and very coherent that the 3 adjectives I would describe the Mikros 90. Bass is enough but not for guys who listen to music with a sub-woofer. You will be in for a disappointment. Mid bass is clean and punchy as it can be. I do have a bit problem with the HF, either the Mikros 90s are too revealing or my AU D1 is a brand new unit that needs to be burned in or the AE people change the DAC chip in their new batch.
For under $100.00 buck, beside the initial not quite perfect impression, it is a steal. I will let the AE D1 and the Mikros 90 settle in for some 20/40 hours to smooth out the sibilance. Meanwhile, with the designed look and the build quality, I wish I could make love to them.
Edited by ACDOAN - 2/4/14 at 1:26pm