or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 41

post #601 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

So I've been talking on and off with pataburd about these as I'm looking for a portable and want to get some more impressions. Here's what I've previously owned and what I thought of it. Let me know if you think these are for me

 

1) Sennheiser HD650 - Love the warmth and darkness. I like how airy and smokey the mids are as they make the vocals sound absolutely beautiful. The midbass is pretty spectacular although it could be a wee bit tighter at times and the treble is nice and non fatiguing although sometimes I want more extension and sparkle.

 

2) AKG K702 - I did not find these to be bright or strident at all like some people do. I found the mids when powered with a tube amp had nice body but on solid state I found them to be a wee bit thin. I loved the soundstage and imaging of these and thought they had an adequate amount of bass.

 

3) Denon D2000. Fantastic bass albeit a bit boomy. Treble was nice and well extended but I found the mids to be a bit plastic sounding which annoyed me a bit at times. 

 

They are nothing like the HD650 (the Mikros 90's  highs are not veiled and the there actually is sub-bass).

 

The sound of the K702 somewhat reminds me of the Mikros.   The little portable has way more bass quantity, but the quality is about the same.  You can forget about the soundstage being wide though. 

post #602 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

They are nothing like the HD650 (the Mikros 90's  highs are not veiled and the there actually is sub-bass).

 

The sound of the K702 somewhat reminds me of the Mikros.   The little portable has way more bass quantity, but the quality is about the same.  You can forget about the soundstage being wide though. 

Something like the K702 with more bass sounds appealing. I love the quality of the K702 bass. How warm/full bodied are the  mids?

post #603 of 6492
I'm still trying EQ to make these enjoyable will some treble happy rock and some Psy. No luck.
post #604 of 6492
I would stuff cotton in the center of the pads.
post #605 of 6492
Bass are fuller and soundstage seems much more open and the treble is abit less in volume but the same clarity and sparkle...this might be also due to burn in 😎
post #606 of 6492
Nevermind on the treble they are still there but just the bass is fuller and soundstage is more expansive 😲
post #607 of 6492
And no details or speed is lost😎
post #608 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688549/sold-hifiman-he-6-w-headphonelounge-solid-core-silver-up-occ-cable-sold     :smile_phones:

 

I previously sold the M500 after a/b-ing them with the Mikros 90.  For my ears, alongside the MLs, the KEFs sounded "mid-fi" at best.  The guy who bought the M500 from me seems to like them, though.  The M500's midrange is smooth and lush but lacks the detail, clarity and balance--i.e. ultimate realism--of the Mikros 90's, IMHO. 

^ Oh is that so...... i bet it was this sucka' that bought them off of ya' huh??? ;)

 

You know what they say........

 

Quote:
 

waynes world

 

Location:
 
Canada
 
Forum Post Count:
 
4173
 
Join Date:
 
6/21/12
 
Last Online:
 
2 minutes ago
 
Headphone Inventory
 
Headphones:

- KEF M500
- Phillips Fidelio X1
- AKG K240 Sextett LP
- ATH WS99
- ATH AD900X
- Echo TDS-16 (ТДС 16 "Эхо" H-16-40 Cмела -Smela) - Russian Ortho
- JVC HA-S500 (+HM5 pads)
- Koss KSC75 (parts-express headband, steel mesh driver covers)
- Koss Sportapro, with trindysmom's mods:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/k...#post_9302214
- Koss DJ100 (Tony Bennett Edition)
- Sennheiser PX100-II

IEM's:

- KEF M200
- Tpeos H-200
- ATH CKS1000
- Zero Audio DX210 Basso
- Vsonic VSD1
- JVC FXD70
- TDK IE500
- TDK MT300
- TDK EB750
- Sony MH1C
- Brainwavz R1
- Monoprice 8320

.... guess who was the one that sold those M200s to him. hoho

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Have the man taken out back, horse-whipped, tarred and feathered, then banished from Head-Fi.

^ You OBVIOUSLY know nothin' about me at all, cuz i enjoy kinky stuff like that.  :veryevil:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

.... that's the best you got??? HA!!! :rolleyes:

 

Anywho my Logans has been shipped and should be here next week, hyped!!! :popcorn:

post #609 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

Nevermind on the treble they are still there but just the bass is fuller and soundstage is more expansive 😲
How is the bass "Fuller"? Is that just a nice way of saying it has more bass, because the bass is already quite full.
post #610 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post


How is the bass "Fuller"? Is that just a nice way of saying it has more bass, because the bass is already quite full.

Mid bass seems to fill in/integrate better--actually or virtually, depending on your subscription to burn-in.


Edited by pataburd - 1/29/14 at 4:58am
post #611 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I'm still trying EQ to make these enjoyable will some treble happy rock and some Psy. No luck.

What is your source and with what are you amping the MLs?

I was listening to David Bowie on an awfully bright EMI recording, using a CBS driver tube (known to be a bit edgy/thin) and the guitar riffs were grating.  Definitely recording/gear dependent. 


Edited by pataburd - 1/29/14 at 4:30am
post #612 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

^ Oh is that so...... i bet it was this sucka' that bought them off of ya' huh??? ;)

 

You know what they say........

 

.... guess who was the one that sold those M200s to him. hoho

 

 

^ You OBVIOUSLY know nothin' about me at all, cuz i enjoy kinky stuff like that.  :veryevil:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

.... that's the best you got??? HA!!! :rolleyes:

 

Anywho my Logans has been shipped and should be here next week, hyped!!! :popcorn:

Do you have the antidote?

post #613 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Mid bass seems to fill in/integrate better--actually or virtually, depending on your subscription to burn-in.
Ive got 50 hours on mine. I've experienced no burn in.
post #614 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

What is your source and with what are you amping the MLs?
I was listening to David Bowie on an awfully bright EMI recording, using a CBS driver tube (known to be a bit edgy/thin) and the guitar riffs were grating.  Definitely recording/gear dependent. 
I only use them portably. Sansa clip zip + fiio e11.

It's not even fatigue that makes it unenjoyable. Congestion probably.
post #615 of 6492

oppps...i am gonna be using it with a sansa...and ipad..gulps. i will know in a week or two's time.

 

(just been gifted with an Ath On3 ...aka ONTO, sounded quite clear, a sense of space, quite sweet vocals..off my MacAir. 

might just sell my HE6 over this...hehe...gonna keep my HE6, Onto cant keep up with THE CROUCHING TIGER CRAWLING LION..watever complex music )

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ON3ABK-Portable-Adjustable-Headphones/dp/B002GYVYYE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1


Edited by Lorspeaker - 1/29/14 at 9:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones