or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 38

post #556 of 6486
I can buy the RE400 but itd get here by Friday maybe. I'm sick of buying all of these cans! My wallet is aching!Too much sugar!
post #557 of 6486

My HE-6 are sold, and ship out tomorrow.

I'll try to get my (HE-6/Mikros 90) comparison notes up shortly thereafter.  (They are pretty brief--the decision did not take long.)

Have been out of town and have not listened to the Mikros 90 for the last few days.

You're not nearly tapping the true potential of the MLs until you hear them with good source/amping gear and a decent cable IMHO.

post #558 of 6486
What cable would you recommend...that fits?
post #559 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

My HE-6 are sold, and ship out tomorrow.

I'll try to get my (HE-6/Mikros 90) comparison notes up shortly thereafter.  (They are pretty brief--the decision did not take long.)

Have been out of town and have not listened to the Mikros 90 for the last few days.

You're not nearly tapping the true potential of the MLs until you hear them with good source/amping gear and a decent cable IMHO.


^ HYPED!!!

 

BRING IT REAL GUD!!! :veryevil:

post #560 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

What cable would you recommend...that fits?

I am having one (UPOCC silver) or two (add a UPOCC copper) made by HeadphoneLounge.  The Pipeline ET-4 will work, maybe with a little bit of whittling down--re: PredatorZ.  With the proceeds from the (HifiMAN) sale, I may look into a good solid state amp for the MLs.


Edited by pataburd - 1/26/14 at 2:42pm
post #561 of 6486

Decided to mess around with these a bit more while I wait on my shootout cans to arrive.  I got a Matrix Mini (phenomenal DAC, by the way, and the amp section is nothing to sneeze at) yesterday, so I plugged the MLs in for a listen, and I'm starting to understand why some of you like these little headphones so much.  They really did need a better source/amp than I was using - stuff that sounded horrible straight out of my S9 now sounds pretty good (no worse than on any other headphones I've tried, at least), and everything that I already liked sounds even better.  Straight out of a mobile device just doesn't work.  Period.  And I don't think my old EF-2A was a good match for them either.  SS, not tube, is probably the way to go with these, though the Mini does have a slightly "tubey" sound, so you might be able to find a tube amp that works.

 

However, I'm still not planning on keeping these.  They don't work for the purpose I got them for (semi-mobile use out of a tablet), and I still prefer the D2000s as my desk headphones.  Plus these are just too uncomfortable for long-term listening.   I can wear my Denons all day with no discomfort, but after an hour or two, the clamping force on the MLs gets the best of me.  Still, it's nice to be able to understand what all the hype was about and not come away confused at how people could be dumping off things like the HE-6 for these.


Edited by LimeANite - 1/26/14 at 3:37pm
post #562 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

The reasons you stated above was the reason why i went for these instead of the AKG K545s cuz these got crazy potential if the hype is indeed real. Might still get those AKGs down the road but these are A LOT mo' troll worthy that's fo' sho. Those AKGs are just playing it a bit too safe. :evil: 

 

Lol! And those low prices of the 90's don't hurt I'm sure.

post #563 of 6486
They just keep improving 😲
post #564 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

What cable would you recommend...that fits?
I am having one (UPOCC silver) or two (add a UPOCC copper) made by HeadphoneLounge.  The Pipeline ET-4 will work, maybe with a little bit of whittling down--re: PredatorZ.  With the proceeds from the (HifiMAN) sale, I may look into a good solid state amp for the MLs.

How exactly did you order it-did you just tell them which headphones the cables were for, or did you give measurements to work off? I have no idea what the measurements would be. Maybe, since you already ordered, I can mention your order and ask for the same size connector (PM me the info, if you could, so I can let them know who I'm referring to if I need to do that and not just reference the Mikros 90).
Thanks
post #565 of 6486

Maybe Pataburd can do a cable shootout after they arrived...:P

how much are these cables.. 

post #566 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Lol! And those low prices of the 90's don't hurt I'm sure.

HE HE HE i still hurts but just not as much. :evil: Plus i like it gentle. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

Maybe Pataburd can do a cable shootout after they arrived...:P

how much are these cables.. 

^ Would like to know as well....

 

But wait don't these use the generic 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables that is sold in lots of places??? Or is the recessed plug thing on these cans makes it hard to fit the jacks in??? Saweee didn't really pay attention to all the cable talk here. :)

post #567 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

HE HE HE i still hurts but just not as much. :evil: Plus i like it gentle. ;)

 

Either way, I'm looking forward to your impressions. I can't help but think that the M500's are way more comfortable and that they might very well be better all rounders, or at least better for someone like me who mainly likes rock, progressive rock and electronic music (such as trance). Too bad you've never heard them, but oh well!  

post #568 of 6486

The recessed jack makes it a bit harder to find a cable.  The Pipeline ET-4 does work - in my case it was a tight squeeze, but it did fit; for others, it required some sanding/shaving of the plug.  Some other cheap cables will fit.  The Aune 3.5mm interconnects that Radioshack sells work, and are only $3 for 6ft, but I didn't like the way they sounded vs. the Pipeline.  Differences were subtle, but present.  Really anything with a slim plug designed for recessed jacks will work.

post #569 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Either way, I'm looking forward to your impressions. I can't help but think that the M500's are way more comfortable and that they might very well be better all rounders, or at least better for someone like me who mainly likes rock, progressive rock and electronic music (such as trance). Too bad you've never heard them, but oh well!  

ehhh EARTH TO WAYNE!!! Has anyone ever posted that they SOLD their CHinaman HE-6s cuz of those M500s, welp have they??? ;) hehehe That's what i thought. :)

 

Anywho those M500s already kicks these grandpa Logans in the arse on looks and comfort alone despite i have not tried any of them and i am sure those M500s can more than hang with these sonically, so no need to feel inadequate meng. :tongue_smile:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post
 

The recessed jack makes it a bit harder to find a cable.  The Pipeline ET-4 does work - in my case it was a tight squeeze, but it did fit; for others, it required some sanding/shaving of the plug.  Some other cheap cables will fit.  The Aune 3.5mm interconnects that Radioshack sells work, and are only $3 for 6ft, but I didn't like the way they sounded vs. the Pipeline.  Differences were subtle, but present.  Really anything with a slim plug designed for recessed jacks will work.

^ Oh nice, it seems it ain't even THAT bad of an issue then. Probably got some cheapo cables at home that i can try these with. Will see how it goes...... Thanks for the input!!! :beerchug:

post #570 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

ehhh EARTH TO WAYNE!!! Has anyone ever posted that they SOLD their CHinaman HE-6s cuz of those M500s, welp have they??? ;) hehehe That's what i thought. :)

 

Anywho those M500s already kicks these grandpa Logans in the arse on looks and comfort alone despite i have not tried any of them and i am sure those M500s can more than hang with these sonically, so no need to feel inadequate meng. :tongue_smile:

 

 

^ Oh nice, it seems it ain't even THAT bad of an issue then. Probably got some cheapo cables at home that i can try these with. Will see how it goes...... Thanks for the input!!! :beerchug:


Oh dear, dissention in the Martian LogJam ranks:eek:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones