Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 354

post #5296 of 5893
After sitting around for a while I took out my M90's when I went for my walk/jog and they are great for jogging. They stay put and are not prone to wind which is good as I live in a windy area. They also offer up a nice balanced versus my MOE. So I think they will be staying for that purpose at the least.
post #5297 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

After sitting around for a while I took out my M90's when I went for my walk/jog and they are great for jogging. They stay put and are not prone to wind which is good as I live in a windy area. They also offer up a nice balanced versus my MOE. So I think they will be staying for that purpose at the least.

 

As long as they sound great, and they have a purpose, they go nowhere!

:beerchug:

post #5298 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post
 

I feel like the bass has gone down in levels on my pair with burn-in or pads softening or maybe clamp loosening... it is of course all just more incentive to mod once I reach those 200s.  But I'd say that the bass is not slightly too low for my taste. 

 

Playing around with sinegen has revealed linearity until 200Hz, 100Hz is about 75% of 200 in volume, 50Hz is about 50% of 100Hz in volume and 35 is halved again and lower than that can barely be considered audible - my previous test where 25hz were clear now has it much lower volume on 25hz. Also that test is not nearly as accurate as sinegen, and I believe the 25hz there is much closer to 35 actually.

 

However on a more positive note, the highs are absolutely wonderful, and I can't find any music that sounds sibilant. Mids have opened up somewhat but I'm still expecting more from the mids.

 

All in all, this is a very beautiful representation of music that appeals very well to me despite a slight lack in bass (let's say currently). I love to listen to violins, guitars and saxophones in these phones.

Yeah this exact phenomenon has happened to two of my pairs that I had used the most. I'm almost completely sure that this is due to decreased clamping force. I verified this by comparing the two pairs I had burned-in to a pair I had seldom used, and the seldom used one had much better bass quantity and quality. This is somewhat disappointing, and I would really like to know if there is a way, if any, to get my bass back in the two pairs I had used the most. I feel that one of my biggest complaints with these headphones is consistency: I have experienced problems in consistency of sound, fit, comfort, seal, build quality, and now retaining sound quality.

post #5299 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUCANNOTDENY View Post
 I feel that one of my biggest complaints with these headphones is consistency: I have experienced problems in consistency of sound, fit, comfort, seal, build quality, and now retaining sound quality.

 

I have experienced none of this. 

 

The seal is great = they isolate really good.

 

Fit and comfort = YMMV - about average comfort for an on-ear model (more comfortable than my DT1350). 

 

Sound = freaking great.  I have not noticed any chances after the initial burn-in period (200 or so hours).

 

Build quality = very good, nothing to complain about.

post #5300 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUCANNOTDENY View Post
 

Yeah this exact phenomenon has happened to two of my pairs that I had used the most. I'm almost completely sure that this is due to decreased clamping force. I verified this by comparing the two pairs I had burned-in to a pair I had seldom used, and the seldom used one had much better bass quantity and quality. This is somewhat disappointing, and I would really like to know if there is a way, if any, to get my bass back in the two pairs I had used the most. I feel that one of my biggest complaints with these headphones is consistency: I have experienced problems in consistency of sound, fit, comfort, seal, build quality, and now retaining sound quality.

Used to experience that, to a lesser degree, and only dealing with the sound.  It gets easier to get more consistency the longer you use them.

post #5301 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUCANNOTDENY View Post

I feel that one of my biggest complaints with these headphones is consistency: I have experienced problems in consistency of sound, fit, comfort, seal, build quality, and now retaining sound quality.

Given my experience breaking in five pairs, I would have to agree, with the exception of degradation in sound quality over time.

The workmanship, too, can be a crap shoot.

One of the pairs I opened up to mod was a real mess with excess hotglue all over the inside, and with wires crimped over at sharp angles to themselves. 

post #5302 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Given my experience breaking in five pairs, I would have to agree, with the exception of degradation in sound quality over time.

The workmanship, too, can be a crap shoot.

One of the pairs I opened up to mod was a real mess with excess hotglue all over the inside, and with wires crimped over at sharp angles to themselves. 

This is reassuring to hear from you, Pataburd. I, personally, have been through four pairs myself. I immediately noticed in my first two pairs that one was bass-heavy and the other was bass-light. I initially attributed this to differing seals due to different earpads, but their respective characteristics still remained after swapping their earpads. It appears that it was easier to obtain a seal in one pair than it was in the other pair.

 

I also noticed that there was a different center image location with all of my pairs. Some would be more off-center than others. One of my pairs actually had the headband adjustment mechanism fail on the left side, such that it would no longer stay in the set position. This was because the mechanism was not installed properly, and was actually too loose to begin with. The Mikros 90's mechanism loosens after repeated usage, but since the left mechanism was already loose to begin with, problems started to arise. Thus, I had to send that pair in for a warranty replacement.


Edited by YOUCANNOTDENY - 5/17/14 at 5:40pm
post #5303 of 5893
For my part, the two pairs I got sounded the same. The one has a very stiff adjustment mechanism on one side, though. I didn't notice bass decreasing, but it became less boxy-sounding. Can't say I find the bass is lacking at all. I did take the sticker off the hole on the back of the driver and enjoyed it for a bit, but did find it sounding one-note-ish. I didn't look after my removed stickers very well and so landed up replacing them with this papery material from inside a bag I tore up for its leather that seemed very close in consistency. Sounds great.

If people wanna open that sticker just a little,I was thinking that a proper medical-grade needle, 22 gauge or so, would be a better option than the pins we tend to have at home. Can try the smallest of holes to increase bass. I know it's recommended that you don't damage the stickers so you can put them back on if you aren't happy, which I did and then promptly messed up the stickers anyway. For warranty purposes it might be an issue, I guess.
post #5304 of 5893

Just picked up a pair of ATH-A1000X.

Will a/b later this week, God willing.

Am not expecting an Audio Technica "coup", though.  Neither the AD700 nor the A950LTD impressed me too much.


Edited by pataburd - 5/18/14 at 5:52pm
post #5305 of 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsandwich View Post

For my part, the two pairs I got sounded the same. The one has a very stiff adjustment mechanism on one side, though. I didn't notice bass decreasing, but it became less boxy-sounding. Can't say I find the bass is lacking at all. I did take the sticker off the hole on the back of the driver and enjoyed it for a bit, but did find it sounding one-note-ish. I didn't look after my removed stickers very well and so landed up replacing them with this papery material from inside a bag I tore up for its leather that seemed very close in consistency. Sounds great.

If people wanna open that sticker just a little,I was thinking that a proper medical-grade needle, 22 gauge or so, would be a better option than the pins we tend to have at home. Can try the smallest of holes to increase bass. I know it's recommended that you don't damage the stickers so you can put them back on if you aren't happy, which I did and then promptly messed up the stickers anyway. For warranty purposes it might be an issue, I guess.

Neither of my modded pairs have issue.

Both sound great.

No one-note bass in either, either.  Just flat, articulate and subterranean BASS. 

post #5306 of 5893

com on....hook up your silver n copper :P

post #5307 of 5893

Tried to try the bose pads, but ripped them while getting them on - so there goes that. I did the 90° rotation anyway - while it may improve sonic qualities it is in my experience what causes the headphones to become prone to rotating forward, absolutely disgustingly annoying, stuck to having to have them on reversed if I want to hear them for more than two minutes with the pads like this.

post #5308 of 5893
U checked the inner foam is sitting properly?
post #5309 of 5893

I rotated the foam 90 degrees and so it sits differently. There is no mechanism or anything I noticed that is holding it in place to while it seems to sit pretty well with no pressure on the pads, it takes very little pressure or movement to affect the inner foam, it is very loose under the leather of the pads.

post #5310 of 5893
Did you use the QC3's foam or the mikros' foam?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones