or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 315

post #4711 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

ohhh...there is a larger headband included...as in LONGER? the one i tried on in the shop might be the shorter one? 


Yes...it comes with two.  One for the normal folk, and one for those of use with larger than normal cranial cavities.  No doubt due the space required by our massive brains.

post #4712 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
 


Yes...it comes with two.  One for the normal folk, and one for those of use with larger than normal cranial cavities.  No doubt due the space required by our massive brains.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #4713 of 6488

The pads sound a ton better without the plastic plate.  I can say there is some improvement in bass tightness or distribution.  I always thought the Stock Mikros directed the bass on the ear instead on in it.  The QC3 directs in into the ear more, in consequence making a denser bass response.  Now some of me may think I like bass light cans... that's not entirely wrong, but I don't take offense to bass heavy cans.  As long as the bass doesn't distract me, I'm OK with it.  The WS99, which has a ton of bass, and the FC300 (less bass but still emphasized) sound great.

 

I am having seal problems, since the arms rotate so easily and the pads are slightly thicker than Stock.

 

To sum up:

 

QC3 Mikros= Stock Mikros+slightly more bass+ less treble+ slightly larger soundstage, but only slightly+ slightly more isolation.

post #4714 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

CL :
If your eartip to eartip over the head is about 12inches or more, 
u are very likely to have fit issues :P
( so it is best to try one out at a shop nearby b4 u hit the BUY button )

But it's only 60 bucks mate.. Come on...What has he got to loose... It's so cheap! ;p
Edited by DMax99 - 4/4/14 at 10:44am
post #4715 of 6488

I have received both the CL and the 90 in the past week. I've been watching them both for some time. Bought the CL on Amazon during the lightning deal and the Mikros during the Shellshocker. The CL are going back though. Number one, because of the non standard cable. 2.5 on earpiece end and 3.5 for the source jack. Second, the small headband was just too small and the large was way too big. Perhaps I could bend the small band but that plus the cable just sealed it. The sound wasn't as clean as I'd like it (no burn in). They sounded a little congested. Out of the box, brand new I liked the Mikros more. Oh, also because of the bigger earpieces they put too much pressure on my upper ear and I wear glasses.

 

Mikros are still burning in. I do have a question before I buy my ticket for the hype train though. Has anyone found a non permanent way to stop the earpieces from swiveling. I may be the only one but that seems to be my biggest issue. They have a lot of clamping force but that wouldn't be so bad if I could get them to stay flat on my ears. They slowly slide towards my cheeks and I lose the seal. Once I'm completely sold on them I may want to do something like Headphile does with the Grados (rod locks).

 

Thanks.

post #4716 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post


But it's only 60 bucks mate.. Come on...What has he got to loose... It's so cheap! ;p

Cheap, yes...but $60 is still $60 I could spend on something else.  At this point in time I am really not sure that even if I get the CL's, and like them, that they could displace my ML's in the rotation.  Having owned them once, I just don't see that happening.

 

I will confess that owning the Mikros may have quenched my thirst for the perfect headphones, and perhaps tamed (temporarily, at least) my impulsive, and occasionally reckless, quest for audio nirvana.  I am not saying the Mikros are perfect, nor am I saying that I will stop looking and listening to other gear.  I am now in control.  I can now afford to be more selective, and discerning in my choices.

post #4717 of 6488
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel View Post

 

Mikros are still burning in. I do have a question before I buy my ticket for the hype train though. Has anyone found a non permanent way to stop the earpieces from swiveling. I may be the only one but that seems to be my biggest issue. They have a lot of clamping force but that wouldn't be so bad if I could get them to stay flat on my ears. They slowly slide towards my cheeks and I lose the seal. Once I'm completely sold on them I may want to do something like Headphile does with the Grados (rod locks).

 

Thanks.

If i understand you correctly, I think the solution to your problem is to move the headband further back on your head.  It may feel a little odd at first, but it worked for me.  I need to have the Mikros headband further back than I do for my other phones.

post #4718 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Cheap, yes...but $60 is still $60 I could spend on something else.  At this point in time I am really not sure that even if I get the CL's, and like them, that they could displace my ML's in the rotation.  Having owned them once, I just don't see that happening.

I will confess that owning the Mikros may have quenched my thirst for the perfect headphones, and perhaps tamed (temporarily, at least) my impulsive, and occasionally reckless, quest for audio nirvana.  I am not saying the Mikros are perfect, nor am I saying that I will stop looking and listening to other gear.  I am now in control.  I can now afford to be more selective, and discerning in my choices.

Yeah you have a point there.. Don't be a hoarder like me...Haha...

Personally, I think the 90 is far from perfect... It definitely got a bit too hyped up... Lol
Edited by DMax99 - 4/4/14 at 11:57am
post #4719 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
 

If i understand you correctly, I think the solution to your problem is to move the headband further back on your head.  It may feel a little odd at first, but it worked for me.  I need to have the Mikros headband further back than I do for my other phones.

I'll give that a shot. Believe it or not turning them around (left on right, right on left) does the trick because they lock in that direction but my brain won't allow it. DeGarmo on the left and Wilton on the right.

post #4720 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel View Post
 

I'll give that a shot. Believe it or not turning them around (left on right, right on left) does the trick because they lock in that direction but my brain won't allow it. DeGarmo on the left and Wilton on the right.


The swivel in the ear cups actually serves a function.  It keeps the clamping pressure away from the back part of the ear where it would be most bothersome.  It is a bit tricky to get them into a comfortable position.  Keep trying.

post #4721 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel View Post
 

I'll give that a shot. Believe it or not turning them around (left on right, right on left) does the trick because they lock in that direction but my brain won't allow it. DeGarmo on the left and Wilton on the right.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
 


The swivel in the ear cups actually serves a function.  It keeps the clamping pressure away from the back part of the ear where it would be most bothersome.  It is a bit tricky to get them into a comfortable position.  Keep trying.

 

Apparently my brain doesn't really care about the left/right channel swapping (kinda likes the change up actually!). So I usually start off with them reversed because the seal is immediate and doesn't budge. But after a while the pressure on the back of the ears can get to me, so I'll swap back to normal, and then spend some time getting them positioned properly (and have to so periodically when they move).

post #4722 of 6488
Tryed flipping a long time ago. I listen to very soundstagey dependent music and I can't have voices appearing within my head.
post #4723 of 6488

Ok, lurked, jumped on the ML Mikros 90 Newegg Shellshocker $48 (with tax $52). Great right out of the box. It now has about 12 hours burn in and I still love it.  Will see how it changes.  

 

I read the threads and used the recommended method of placing the front edges on the edge of my outer cheek bone a little in front of my ear so the top of  the headband is a little forward. It is fairly comfortable, has the 'suction' on my ear, doesn't slip and the sound is the best that way.   Haven't needed to adjust the band other than lower the ear cups a little.  They have the best isolation for me. I can't hear anything but the music.

 

Tried Mikros with the Sansa Clip Zip, Cowon S9, and Iphone 4, iphone5, Ipad air, Ipad mini with and without E11 amp with LOD and/or mini to mini Fiio interconnect.  Tried alac, flac, wav, and aac or mp3 anywhere from 128 to 320 kbps.  All sounds really good even my old 128 mp3's!  $52 well spent. :beyersmile:

 

I was trying to read all the pages for the over the ear pad mods (they are really buried unless there are photos). Is it worth the effort for the comfort vs sq change?  Which is the best pad?  i saw a lot of recommendations but couldn't really find most of them online as aftermarket pads without buying the headphone (well Alpha pads are there but expensive). I don't mind so much the stock but i do prefer over the ear.

post #4724 of 6488

Got these today. Sometimes when placing them on my ear I hear a crunching, crinkly sound especially from the left side. Is this driver flex? Should I be worried?

 

Sound is very detailed but smooth and musical. Bass isn't as anemic as I was worried.

 

They're a little power hungrier than I suspect - volume needs to be pretty high on my X3.

post #4725 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibs63 View Post
 

Ok, lurked, jumped on the ML Mikros 90 Newegg Shellshocker $48 (with tax $52). Great right out of the box. It now has about 12 hours burn in and I still love it.  Will see how it changes.  

 

I read the threads and used the recommended method of placing the front edges on the edge of my outer cheek bone a little in front of my ear so the top of  the headband is a little forward. It is fairly comfortable, has the 'suction' on my ear, doesn't slip and the sound is the best that way.   Haven't needed to adjust the band other than lower the ear cups a little.  They have the best isolation for me. I can't hear anything but the music.

 

Tried Mikros with the Sansa Clip Zip, Cowon S9, and Iphone 4, iphone5, Ipad air, Ipad mini with and without E11 amp with LOD and/or mini to mini Fiio interconnect.  Tried alac, flac, wav, and aac or mp3 anywhere from 128 to 320 kbps.  All sounds really good even my old 128 mp3's!  $52 well spent. :beyersmile:

 

I was trying to read all the pages for the over the ear pad mods (they are really buried unless there are photos). Is it worth the effort for the comfort vs sq change?  Which is the best pad?  i saw a lot of recommendations but couldn't really find most of them online as aftermarket pads without buying the headphone (well Alpha pads are there but expensive). I don't mind so much the stock but i do prefer over the ear.

Another satisfied customer, that's what I like to see.  The Mikros will only get better from here on out.  200 hours was the magic point for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones