Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 308

post #4606 of 5963

Lol, welp, im out for now. This girl's bday is on April Fools day...

 

We know what hole imma explore next, eh? LOL JK

post #4607 of 5963

I'm really getting in to wearing these backwards.  The fit is much better (for me anyway).

post #4608 of 5963

mine are beginning their burn in... but man they are very uncomfortable phones. It is probably why they did not sell so well...

anyone find an easy earpad mod/replacement?

 

Edit: out of the box the highs are very refined and extended


Edited by daveyostrow - 4/1/14 at 1:25pm
post #4609 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyostrow View Post
 

mine are beginning their burn in... but man they are very uncomfortable phones. It is probably why they did not sell so well...

anyone find an easy earpad mod/replacement?

 

Edit: out of the box the highs are very refined and extended


The Ath-ESW10 pads are probably the best replacement pads for the Mikros...but they are expensive.  Someone posted a picture of those pads on a Mikros some pages back.

post #4610 of 5963
I use a box slightly larger than my head to hold the headphone open while I burn them in. This gradually stretches them and helps to muffle the noise while they burn in. By doing this I have made them much more comfortable. I also allow the headphone to tip away from the back.of my ears a bit taking pressure off the back of my ears.

Having said that I am looking into making a cup extender to turn these into over ear headphones. I am just working on finding affordable materials.
post #4611 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 


The Ath-ESW10 pads are probably the best replacement pads for the Mikros...but they are expensive.  Someone posted a picture of those pads on a Mikros some pages back.

I see now... the es10 pads are too big, i didnt realize the esw10 were different.

quick search found these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pair-Ear-pad-earpad-cushion-for-ATH-ESW9-ATH-ESW10-ESW9-ESW10-ES10-headphone/1400182797.html

May be a good fit, anyone try these yet? http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Replacement-Earpad-Monster-Headphone/dp/B0081DE5F4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1395275233&sr=8-10&keywords=beats+solo+replacement+ear+pads

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I use a box slightly larger than my head to hold the headphone open while I burn them in.
Having said that I am looking into making a cup extender to turn these into over ear headphones. I am just working on finding affordable materials.

Im doing the same thing, using the retail box. 

I did a similar mod to the s400/500 with the dt250 plates + pads... not sure those will work here 


Edited by daveyostrow - 4/1/14 at 2:55pm
post #4612 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyostrow View Post
 

I see now... the es10 pads are too big, i didnt realize the esw10 were different.

quick search found these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pair-Ear-pad-earpad-cushion-for-ATH-ESW9-ATH-ESW10-ESW9-ESW10-ES10-headphone/1400182797.html

May be a good fit, anyone try these yet? http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Replacement-Earpad-Monster-Headphone/dp/B0081DE5F4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1395275233&sr=8-10&keywords=beats+solo+replacement+ear+pads

 

Regarding the BlueCell Beats Solo replacement pads...I tried these exact same pads...see posts #4550 and #4556.  I am fairly certain that the ATH-ESW9 / ATH-ESW10 pads are too large to fit the Mikros ear cup as a direct stretch and fit replacement...some mod may be necessary to adapt them.  Seems that someone else tried this about a 100 pages back, but I can't be certain.

post #4613 of 5963
I tot Mass Said the esw10pads would fit?
post #4614 of 5963
How loud do u guy listen at?
My vol is at 90% on the iPad most of the time,
If I do classical, it's maxed out.

U think mikros thrives on loud listening??
post #4615 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

How loud do u guy listen at?
My vol is at 90% on the iPad most of the time,
If I do classical, it's maxed out.

U think mikros thrives on loud listening??

 

I have to monitor the volume closely actually: too low and I don't hear enough detail, but I don't want it loud. Still, it's pretty low as usual for me.

 

Edit: 40% on my iPod 5.5


Edited by Claritas - 4/1/14 at 4:49pm
post #4616 of 5963

I am usually near max on  my iPhone.  The Mikros need more juice than most portables it seems.  For those that have not tried them on a home rig or with an amp of some kind you have not heard the real beauty of these yet!  I wish someone would come out with a really small portable amp that would do these justice.  I don't want to walk around the bulk of most respected mobile amps.

post #4617 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

How loud do u guy listen at?
 

About 60% on my iPod Classic...don't know when using the LOD/C5 combo...never counted the clicks.  I am higher than 60% on the iPad, but not much.

post #4618 of 5963

Couldn't resist the hype/low price ratio and ordered these. 

 

Other then fit, I'm a little worried about some reports of thinness of sound. I know bass is a little weak, but does the midrange on these have the necessary weight to give instruments realistic tonality and impact? I recently got the K545s but am mildly disappointed. They don't do much wrong, but they don't give great realistic tonality in the midrange, which to me is where the emotion  of music comes from. And ultimately music is about conveying feeling. The K545s are not offensive, but there are no moments where I just think to myself, "**** these sound amazing". I'm hoping the 90s will give me better midrange tonality. 

 

Here's one review that concerns me:

 

Quote:
 

In between the gorgeous treble and modest but adequate bass regions lay the Mikros 90’s midrange – the swath of spectrum that had us scratching our heads. While we certainly commend these headphones for rendering crystal-clear, uncongested vocals and a good amount of tone in percussion, there were times when we really wanted the Mikros 90 to sound a bit warmer.

On our darkest recordings the headphones showed us they were capable of sounding rich, but on most of the tracks we listened to, we found ourselves wanting for something just a bit … huskier . For instance, Russel Gunn’s moody, rounded trumpet tone gushed over us as we took in “Blue in Green” from his Russel Gunn Plays Miles record. But Keb Mo’s vocal appeal lacked a certain authenticity.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/martin-logan-mikros-90-review/

 

Also, can the headband safely be stretched? Do they pair well with the Fiio X3?


Edited by Stuff Jones - 4/1/14 at 5:13pm
post #4619 of 5963
Yes and yes. I use the X3 mainly.
post #4620 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Jones View Post
 

Couldn't resist the hype/low price ratio and ordered these. 

 

Other then fit, I'm a little worried about some reports of thinness of sound. I know bass is a little weak, but does the midrange on these have the necessary weight to give instruments realistic tonality and impact? I recently got the K545s but am mildly disappointed. They don't do much wrong, but they don't give great realistic tonality in the midrange, which to me is where the emotion  of music comes from. They're not offensive, but there are no moments where I just think to myself, "**** these sound amazing". I'm hoping the 90s will give me better midrange tonality. 

 

Here's one review that concerns me:

 

 

Also, can the headband safely be stretched? Do they pair well with the Fiio X3?


You don't have them, yet you worry...worry not.  I was also a victim of the Hype-a-thon.  And I know say...HYPE-ON...for it is not hype when it is truth.  You should be more concerned when you spend your hard earned $$$'s on the likes of the K545, and they do not meet your expectations.  After a proper burn in and stretch...you may want to stretch them over the AKG box that your K545's came in so some good comes from that purchase...you will say "Holy $%&@, these sound @&%$ing amazing."  Welcome to the club.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones