Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 19

post #271 of 5883

Members Only

 

I think I lke it!

All we need now is a password and a secret handshake.


Edited by pataburd - 1/15/14 at 6:23pm
post #272 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

I just saw them for $85 on Amazon and couldn't resist getting a second set...they're that good :veryevil:  I paid full price when they first came out but I felt they were worth every penny. They have the nice characteristic of being transparent and dynamic, yet they also have a touch of warmth that keeps it all musical. Also love how the 90 is so tight, clear and non-bloated in the bass.

 

Haha...I'm also thinking about getting another pair.  Some of the other guys in this thread also bought more than one. 

 

We need a professional at hyping a headphones.   Someone send their second pair to Dsnuts.  :D 

post #273 of 5883
Dsnuts is a great hyper person...because oh him I started headfi😎
post #274 of 5883
How do these compare to other highend cans😊...want to know, my only highend can is my Fidelio x1 😎
post #275 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

How do these compare to other highend cans😊...want to know, my only highend can is my Fidelio x1 😎

I can only compare with audio technica ATHW-1000X. 1000X has more excitement sound, Mikros has better tonal balance.

 

I choose Mikros for a long listening period. More relax, more musical.

post #276 of 5883

I've had these in my sights for months now.. I think I'm gonna order them soon. Anyone compare them with KEF M500, B&W P7 or Phiaton Bridge yet?

post #277 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

How do these compare to other highend cans😊...want to know, my only highend can is my Fidelio x1 😎

 

Some pages back pataburd compared the Mikros to some of the higher end cans he has owned over the years.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137View Post

I've had these in my sights for months now.. I think I'm gonna order them soon. Anyone compare them with KEF M500, B&W P7 or Phiaton Bridge yet?

 

A couple of the guys on this thread have done comparisons with some of those cans.   Use the search function...

post #278 of 5883

Has anyone compared these to JVC HA-S500 or Takstar Pro 80?

post #279 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post
 

I've had these in my sights for months now.. I think I'm gonna order them soon. Anyone compare them with KEF M500, B&W P7 or Phiaton Bridge yet?

 

 

Here are slfan's thoughts on the Mikros 90/B&W P7:

 

"Count me in as a ML Mikros 90 fan. I have had it for a couple of weeks now, I can only say that I am really surprised of how little attention this headphone received. Fit could be a major issue of why that is, but other than that, this one is a killer, best 80 dollars I have ever spent!

 

As for the comparison with P5/P7, I had an earful both in an apple store and a friend's house. I would say that mikros 90 is more in line with P7, sound quality-wise, but with a smoother high and slightly better separation. The clarity is about the same and both bass hits low but P7 has more power in quantity. Tonality and speed, like pataburd said, is so good on the mikros 90 that P7 can't match. The downside however, is that the presentation of mikros 90 lacks body, makes really hard to display all of its merit in a noisy environment such as Bestbuy listening station or starbucks, P7 does better in this regard, with a bigger, fuller sound.

 

I dislike P5 for some reason I can't quite gasp, maybe it's the overall harshness and looser bass, or maybe it's the low quality source..."

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************** 

Here is a link to my Mikros 90/KEF M500 comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695615/kef-m500-versus-martin-logan-mikros-90


Edited by pataburd - 1/16/14 at 1:15pm
post #280 of 5883

Does anybody have the measurements for the mikros 90? I am dying to take a look at them.

post #281 of 5883

One caveat....because the Mikros 90 excels in clarity, detail and separation, sometimes it seems to provide more info about recordings, rather than warming your heart with the musical message. I would certainly not call them cold and analytical, but it is possible to get overly wowed by the detail, and end up focused on the wrong things. Also, some may find the fit annoying, uncomfortable or downright irritating. But once you get used to it, it fits just fine.

post #282 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

One caveat....because the Mikros 90 excels in clarity, detail and separation, sometimes it seems to provide more info about recordings, rather than warming your heart with the musical message. I would certainly not call them cold and analytical, but it is possible to get overly wowed by the detail, and end up focused on the wrong things. Also, some may find the fit annoying, uncomfortable or downright irritating. But once you get used to it, it fits just fine.

 

Truly, focusing on the detail over music is personally something I like to do. not sure why

post #283 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by slfan View Post
 

Does anybody have the measurements for the mikros 90? I am dying to take a look at them.

slfan, I have written ML and requested a frequency chart for the Mikros 90, but have not gotten a reply.  I am also interested in the driver/voice coil design.  How they get THAT extended a bass response in such a small packing is remarkable.

post #284 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

One caveat....because the Mikros 90 excels in clarity, detail and separation, sometimes it seems to provide more info about recordings, rather than warming your heart with the musical message. I would certainly not call them cold and analytical, but it is possible to get overly wowed by the detail, and end up focused on the wrong things. Also, some may find the fit annoying, uncomfortable or downright irritating. But once you get used to it, it fits just fine.

The Mikros 90 still manage to exude primarily musical energy/information--amid all that detail. 

 

However, I do understand what you mean about the their extremely revealing nature.  Revealing of everything in your listening chain: recording, sources, amps, cables, etc.  Last night I was listening to Andy Williams, a remastered recording of his hit "Moon River" and heard a lot of (added) echo/reverb from the original session.  

 

I have put the Mikros 90 into probably a half dozen different system configurations.  Each time the MLs sound like a different set of headphones.  Their basic qualities endure, but how they capture and project changes due to associated equipment and/or recording is amazing.  To me this epitomizes a truly REFERENCE set of headphones.  I am beginning to a/b the Martin Logan Mikros 90 and the HifiMAN HE-6 on my best source gear.  The Mikros 90 sound superb, scaling up astonishingly well.


Edited by pataburd - 1/17/14 at 7:04am
post #285 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

The Mikros 90 still manage to exude primarily musical energy/information--amid all that detail. 

 

However, I do understand what you mean about the their extremely revealing nature.  Revealing of everything in your listening chain: recording, sources, amps, cables, etc.  Last night I was listening to Andy Williams, a remastered recording of his hit "Moon River" and heard a lot of (added) echo/reverb from the original session.  

 

I have put the Mikros 90 into probably a half dozen different system configurations.  Each time the MLs sound like a different set of headphones.  Their basic qualities endure, but how they capture and project changes due to associated equipment and/or recording is amazing.  To me this epitomizes a truly REFERENCE set of headphones.  I am beginning to a/b the Martin Logan Mikros 90 and the HifiMAN HE-6 on my best source gear.  The Mikros 90 sound superb, scaling up astonishingly well.

This truly sounds amazing. I cannot wait any longer for my pair to come in the mail.. Ach.. And I just ordered a Monster Gratitude the other day that's now essentially been undermined by these things.. Ah well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones