Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 170

post #2536 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

You might be onto something Lorspeaker. Curious: did you listen to that particular song? 

 

Mary Poppins?  :tongue_smile:  

I was popping in n out of this thread thats racing away... its a youtube? 

Never tot this Mikros is sibilant..right now, its flowing beautifully the music..

just on my stock cable...v moda cable...ipad sansa tube amps..regular gears.

post #2537 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

 

Mary Poppins?  :tongue_smile:  

I was popping in n out of this thread thats racing away... its a youtube? 

Never tot this Mikros is sibilant..right now, its flowing beautifully the music..

just on my stock cable...v moda cable...ipad sansa tube amps..regular gears.

 

Here ya go:

post #2538 of 5883

when u guys dive under that hole....

remember my suggested mods are quick impressions/imaginations,

as i place the drawer-thrash into the cups.

Its an aid to get u started, initiated..hyped up.. :P

your mileage might, your ears will differ,

feel free to tweak/dampen/reconfigure some more ..

UNTIL u are SATISFIED...

then report back.

 

If u abandon it after some failures....

u are a  ...( i cover my eyes..)

 

I am into my umpteenth variations...

think i like what i am hearing.

but its perculiar to my gears, 

so i wont hype about it...:P

 

NOBODY STONE ME PLS.

post #2539 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Here ya go:

I KNEW THAT NAME AND FACE WAS FAMILIAR!

 

did you hear this one from her?

 

 

heard this in the discovery thread a while ago, posted it and hoped people knew about it. :)

 

She did the cover of Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (Once)

 

with her partner, I was able to hear the Deep thick throat of his with the sony-h3s.

 

No other earphone or headphone could replicate that, it amazed me...

post #2540 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Here ya go:

 

Her vocals sounded pretty sharp..ssszz sszzz...

the bass in the foreground, thumps solidly on my moddedMikros. ( go dig that hole !!! )

think its the recording...i have more than 1 T byte of music...hardly any sounded like this "sibilant".

Or she chose to have it recorded this way..first time i am hearing her..

but this is youtube, so i wont make a call unless i hear the actual recording.

post #2541 of 5883

The mikros isn't the only headphone that has the sharp sssss or zzzz

 

it is the recording itself. I concur with lorspeaker, I heard this with the song I linked to you wayne.

post #2542 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

 

Her vocals sounded pretty sharp..ssszz sszzz...

the bass in the foreground, thumps solidly on my moddedMikros. ( go dig that hole !!! )

think its the recording...i have more than 1 T byte of music...hardly any sounded like this "sibilant".

Or she chose to have it recorded this way..first time i am hearing her..

but this is youtube, so i wont make a call unless i hear the actual recording.

 

Yup, I concur. Like I said, I had never heard anything like that in my music collection.

 

Btw, which of your bass mods should I do?


Edited by waynes world - 2/27/14 at 8:07pm
post #2543 of 5883

start with the first...and work your way down,

by the 4th mod, u will know where the sweetspot for your taste will be...

it could be a hybrid of what i posted..

its discovery time, just get IN.

 

also do open your drawers m see if there are any stray thrash u could creatively use.

seashells...chewing gums...plastercine...erazers... cottonbuds..

toss them in...see what happens.

 

============

 

what i try to listen for....

tight thumping bass, controlled resonance, bass that doesnt sustain too long in the air..

depth of soundstage maintained..without being muzzled/blocked..think clear open sky...hear-thru sound projection.

abit of organicity, without being too hardbrittle of a bashing.

 

if u try enuf times, u will get a drift of what i am trying to describe here...and work it to your taste.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/27/14 at 8:26pm
post #2544 of 5883

Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

post #2545 of 5883
Thanks @Lorspeader - sounds like a good plan. I'll probably embark this weekend (by then they will have approx 80 hours on them).
 
Btw, I'm listening to Daft Punk now. I'm almost afraid to get more bass happening on these puppies now lol!

Edited by waynes world - 2/27/14 at 8:33pm
post #2546 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorZ View Post
 

Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

 

Thanks Predator...and Pataburd!!!

 

 

:beerchug:

post #2547 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorZ View Post
 

Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear what the new cable does to the Mikros

post #2548 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

when u guys dive under that hole....

remember my suggested mods are quick impressions/imaginations,

as i place the drawer-thrash into the cups.

Its an aid to get u started, initiated..hyped up.. :P

your mileage might, your ears will differ,

feel free to tweak/dampen/reconfigure some more ..

UNTIL u are SATISFIED...

then report back.

 

If u abandon it after some failures....

u are a  ...( i cover my eyes..)

 

I am into my umpteenth variations...

think i like what i am hearing.

but its perculiar to my gears, 

so i wont hype about it...:P

 

NOBODY STONE ME PLS.

I DID IT.
Used dynamat instead cause that's what I had lying around. Can definetly hear more power in the bass, but its still very nicely defined, as I feel the bass boost is in the lowest frequencies allowing the mikros to maintain its excellent PRaT. Listening to "Fotografia" by Yiruma, the mod gives a better sense of weight to the piano, but the articulation is still on point, with notes being able to soar and dive effortlessly. While the piano does seem meatier, it does sound like its in a larger room.
 

"Ivy" by I The Mighty, a very melodic hardcore band (more shouty than screaming, but more singing than either, it's pretty tasteful imo), it starts with a beautiful mash up of the drums and guitars, and with the mod everything sounds beautifully snappy and well defined, I can't get enough of this band to begin with, and the Mikros makes it a much more satisfying experience for me.

This mod also gives a much more grand sense of scale to large orchestra pieces. One worth mentioning would be "The Shadow of The Past" by composer Howard Shore. This song from the Lord of the Rings through this modded mikros sounds nothing short of epic. The sense of scale and emotion is chilling, making this song almost frightening to listen to in a dark room at night T_T

Still getting used to describing sound, but what I can say is that this mod is worthy of trying.

Great work Lors and Maxxx!

post #2549 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcode View Post
 

I DID IT.
Used dynamat instead cause that's what I had lying around. Can definetly hear more power in the bass, but its still very nicely defined, as I feel the bass boost is in the lowest frequencies allowing the mikros to maintain its excellent PRaT. Listening to "Fotografia" by Yiruma, the mod gives a better sense of weight to the piano, but the articulation is still on point, with notes being able to soar and dive effortlessly. While the piano does seem meatier, it does sound like its in a larger room.
 

"Ivy" by I The Mighty, a very melodic hardcore band (more shouty than screaming, but more singing than either, it's pretty tasteful imo), it starts with a beautiful mash up of the drums and guitars, and with the mod everything sounds beautifully snappy and well defined, I can't get enough of this band to begin with, and the Mikros makes it a much more satisfying experience for me.

This mod also gives a much more grand sense of scale to large orchestra pieces. One worth mentioning would be "The Shadow of The Past" by composer Howard Shore. This song from the Lord of the Rings through this modded mikros sounds nothing short of epic. The sense of scale and emotion is chilling, making this song almost frightening to listen to in a dark room at night T_T

Still getting used to describing sound, but what I can say is that this mod is worthy of trying.

Great work Lors and Maxxx!

 

wow...u dived in..!!  And u picked words out of my mind that i couldnt express better. U are a grand Hypist !!! hehehe

 

i dun hav dynamite in my drawers...the next time u open it up again do take some fotos. 

i will giv it a shot if the dynamite comes my way :P

 

Is it easy to unpeel those stickystuff? i heard its sticky..i havent eyeball one yet..lolz.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/27/14 at 9:25pm
post #2550 of 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

wow...u dived in..!!  

i dun hav dynamite in my drawers...the next time u open it up again do take some fotos. 

i will giv it a shot if the dynamite comes my way :P

 

Is it easy to unpeel those stickystuff? i heard its sticky..i havent eyeball one yet..lolz.

Its not easy, but it does come off. 
Originally, I planned to keep the covering for the hole, but I tore that because I wasn't patient enough :tongue_smile:, but I will sometime, I have to do a little more tuning anyways. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones