Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 154

post #2296 of 6075
We will see! They aren't there yet, that's for sure. But we will give them a chance with burn in, and most likely with the bass mods as well later on. Then it will be a more fair fight! :-)
post #2297 of 6075

OK.  Let me get this out of the way...I AM A BELIEVER!  The Amazon box was on my desk when I got to my office this morning.  No time at work for a quick listen so I plugged them into my iPod, stretched them over the box, and let them play all day on shuffle.  At the whistl,e packed them into the sweet case and chucked them into my bag for the drive home.  Back on the iPod during dinner...and time for the nightly walk of the dog.  Status...about 10 hours burn in and a good stretch to the headband.

 

Out the door, and I immediately go to my standby track for new phones, "One Word" on Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra.  (Gear = iPod Classic 160G 7G > Fiio L9 LOD > JDS C5 > 90's)

 

SQ: I am duly impressed.  I should say upfront that I usually use the bass boost function on the C5 so I had it on for first listen.  The opening snare salvo is crisp and clean.  The bass is at the bottom of my skull...freakin' thumpin' solid.  The bass solo...perfect...moving right to the front of the mix, and just as clean and crisp as the snares.  McLaughlin on the right, Goodman's viloin on the left, Hammer's keys in the center and up near the top of my head...but still clearly separated from the bass.  All the while, Cobham's drums are floating from left to right to center and back again.  Separation is the best I have experienced on any of my phones.  For closed phones the sound stage is very good.

 

Comfort: No problem.  Getting them into the proper position on the ears is a bit tricky at first but once you find it...oh so sweet.  Stretching the headband over the box all day may have helped as I found the clamping pressure just right.  I had them on for about an hour during my walk with no discomfort.  Isolation seems to be good enough, but perhaps not quite good enough for air travel.

 

Last words:  I will be getting the Radio Shack cable tomorrow.  Don't need the remote with the C5 and I do not want anything at all getting in the way of that "oh so sweet" sound.  Second pair from Newegg ordered yesterday for $69-$20 rebate...already at my regional PO, should be delivered by Thursday...will be doing the bass mod to see if I can forgo the bass boost on the C5.

 

Keep the hype alive.

post #2298 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

 

^ Right back at ya'!!!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Thanks, now I have to read a book about sexual desires again, thanks a lot. THANKS A LOT, I just got away from reading about it since some argentina woman told me to read a certain author's book as it was interesting.

 

....your last picture is definitely one of those innuendos the author loves to write about in her book..

 

And thanks, :) back at full circle...kind of..lol.

 

And glad you got your set masa' wayne!!

 

Enjoy those goodies, get that $20 off NOW! :P

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
tumblr_m10hxjIaa01qdadrzo1_500.gif DEM GOODIES....SHE GOOD....kind of..nice mikros, nice nice thumping mikros..

NICE....

 

 

AMPLI...

 

 

 

FIER....

 

GROOVY AMP MAN!!!

Just got up from bed and took them pics asap, sorry for the weird mess. :p

 

That sf, he was right...these look beautiful...

 

And it will go great with one more picture with the xba-h3s! Smexy!

post #2299 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

fake red Beats cord better after burn in, still not there.

I'm from the "needs more bass" crowd, though, as stated earlier, it is intermittent, sometimes sounds fine, sometimes anemic.
Mod 'em, Doc, ala Maxx/Lors!
biggrin.gif  

LOL, mister 10 thumbs here, sent the Pipeline cable to PredatorZ to shave it down some to fit. the ML cup! I actually did buy a 2nd ML yesterday, still inexpensive, with 2, maybe I'll chance taking the tape off as described. I doubt I'll get much fancier than that, not likely to finish any bigger mods with positive results happy_face1.gif
post #2300 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

 
I ordered the Auvio cable on ebay. I found it for $9.99.
EricP,
Keep us posted.
I am enjoying the Auvio with pop venues.

Just put the FiiO back in.  Not bad.  But not great--particularly for their MSRP of $31.  You get a little more midbass/midbass weight. The music seems somewhat emasculated and Perry Como-ish, albeit a little more fluid and dimensional as well [nice features].  (Maybe they still need more break-in.)

Didn't love the Fiio-even the fake Beats, with lots of break in, has more to it, music excitment (was very grainy/tizzy, cleared much but little of it remains)
post #2301 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

^ Right back at ya'!!!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Thanks, now I have to read a book about sexual desires again, thanks a lot. THANKS A LOT, I just got away from reading about it since some argentina woman told me to read a certain author's book as it was interesting.

....your last picture is definitely one of those innuendos the author loves to write about in her book..

And thanks, smily_headphones1.gif back at full circle...kind of..lol.

And glad you got your set masa' wayne!!

Enjoy those goodies, get that $20 off NOW! :P
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
tumblr_m10hxjIaa01qdadrzo1_500.gif DEM GOODIES....SHE GOOD....kind of..nice mikros, nice nice thumping mikros..
NICE....




AMPLI...





FIER....

GROOVY AMP MAN!!!


Just got up from bed and took them pics asap, sorry for the weird mess. tongue.gif

That sf, he was right...these look beautiful...

And it will go great with one more picture with the xba-h3s! Smexy!

Got the Go-Dap last week or so, used it a few times, stopped working. Called Amazon today, sending me a new one. Hope you do better...
post #2302 of 6075
Just opening the hole won't do....u have to stuff something from your drawers into it.,
And u might unlock he genie.tongue.gif

How big a bass or how tight the bass can be adjusted to fit your gears, n the type of music u fancy.

Right this moment..the trance music pumping out of my iPad thru the mikrosSonusBass is just PERFECT.
But on my home setup...I prefer more grit n bite in the bass for classical slammmmmmm.
So my next Mikros might get some FELT ..just a small 1/4inch x 1/4 inch for that little BITE..
Just a guess from my few attempts.

u guys feel free to experiment n add to the possibilities ok...enjoy this amazing can.

LET THE GENIE OUT!!!!!
post #2303 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Am LIKIN' the Auvio cable!

 

Electric Light Orchestra sounds fantastic!!!

Just a fun, snappy, poppin', "other-worldly" listen.

 

The Burson should be in today!


I have the same cable, picked it up when I got the pipeline, it has the really small connector OD(so no modding needed), I have been using it when I am at home and mobile, its a bit thinner and more flexible and less micro phonic than the pipelines, but I haven't done any critical listening... but I can say, it never sounded Bad, because I was listening to the ML's, and as we all know they just sing, and cables normally error through omission, some resistance, capacitance or inductance or more likely a mix of all 3 slightly altering the SS.

 

For the price, while you are in picking up some pipelines at Ratshack, get some Auvios, I for one seem to collect cables, I have multiple storage totes packed with every type, you never know !

post #2304 of 6075

Can someone listen to the chorus of this Nickelback song (0:32-0:55 and 1:25-1:48) and see if they can hear the cymbals and hi-hat?  Straight out of my laptop, I can barely hear them , they're not clear, and the electric guitar is much louder.  Out of my Tenore, there is more detail and clarity.  Wondering if it's the Mikros problem or the lack of amp problem.  This is with the stock cable.

If you can, try unamped and amped.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMFdpdDYYA

post #2305 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

Can someone listen to the chorus of this Nickelback song (0:32-0:55 and 1:25-1:48) and see if they can hear the cymbals and hi-hat?  Straight out of my laptop, I can barely hear them , they're not clear, and the electric guitar is much louder.  Out of my Tenore, there is more detail and clarity.  Wondering if it's the Mikros problem or the lack of amp problem.  This is with the stock cable.

If you can, try unamped and amped.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMFdpdDYYA

I hear it pretty well at 1:32-1:45

 

Not so much at the 32 second mark

 

Also not very good at 1:25-1:30, at least not the lightest hi-hats clearly, but I do hear them. This is running on a computer with no amp, will use the ipod or iphone from someone to help you confirm it.

post #2306 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post


Got the Go-Dap last week or so, used it a few times, stopped working. Called Amazon today, sending me a new one. Hope you do better...

OH NO! :(

 

Oh well, thanks for the warning, I'll use it ASAP.

post #2307 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

I hear it pretty well at 1:32-1:45

 

Not so much at the 32 second mark

 

Also not very good at 1:25-1:30, at least not the lightest hi-hats clearly, but I do hear them. This is running on a computer with no amp, will use the ipod or iphone from someone to help you confirm it.

Amped and it's not clear. I blame the cable.

 

Yep, I swapped the cable with a random one hanging around, and they come through more clearly. I knew the stock cable was killing detail.

 

They definitely could use a bass mod or bass boost too after doing that.


Edited by bhazard - 2/25/14 at 7:45pm
post #2308 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

Sounds like I'm the only one listening to them straight out of my laptop and phone.  

 

They sound good, but not nearly as good as you guys are describing, so an amp is needed to achieve those levels (especially the bass levels you're describing).  These things are power hungry for sure (volume of laptop at 75% or more

Run don't wlk and get some ampage, GRAYSON, you will really be loving life then... even el cheapo amps can make a big difference.

post #2309 of 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
 

OK.  Let me get this out of the way...I AM A BELIEVER!  

 

Yeah, I've only had mine on 2 hours of burn in, and it's pretty much a given that I'll be a belieber as well :)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

 

Out the door, and I immediately go to my standby track for new phones, "One Word" on Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra.  (Gear = iPod Classic 160G 7G > Fiio L9 LOD > JDS C5 > 90's)

 

SQ: I am duly impressed.  I should say upfront that I usually use the bass boost function on the C5 so I had it on for first listen.  The opening snare salvo is crisp and clean.  The bass is at the bottom of my skull...freakin' thumpin' solid.  The bass solo...perfect...moving right to the front of the mix, and just as clean and crisp as the snares.  McLaughlin on the right, Goodman's viloin on the left, Hammer's keys in the center and up near the top of my head...but still clearly separated from the bass.  All the while, Cobham's drums are floating from left to right to center and back again.  Separation is the best I have experienced on any of my phones.  For closed phones the sound stage is very good.

 

Yup, that track is pretty intense with the 90's. Listened to it via HifimeDIY sabre dac and C&C BH amp. And they have already also passed my Yes "Close to the edge" test (C3/BH combo) with flying colors - thoroughly enjoyed it. Porcupine Tree on the go now :)

 

Quote:

Comfort: No problem.  Getting them into the proper position on the ears is a bit tricky at first but once you find it...oh so sweet.  Stretching the headband over the box all day may have helped as I found the clamping pressure just right.  I had them on for about an hour during my walk with no discomfort.  Isolation seems to be good enough, but perhaps not quite good enough for air travel.

 

Comfort seems fine for me without having done any bending. But I haven't had them on for extended periods yet, so we will see. But I like how they stay put (that's my biggest gripe about the M500's). Funny, I have no problem getting them to fit well to get good sound. Maybe I don't have a proper fit and they are sounding this good without it lol.

 

I also really like how light they are, and I love the compact case. I don't mind the thinness of the stock cable, and it sounds fine to me so far (although I will be looking out for missing details as bhazard is alluding to). I still have the Beats cable to try.

 

Quote:
 Keep the hype alive.

 

Indeed!

:beerchug: 

post #2310 of 6075
beerchug.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones