Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 141

post #2101 of 6492

i am done with solidstates....firing up a mullardGZ34 now...paired with some sweet philips run of mill tubes. 

 

i am innocent, i am not a basshead...i cant be convicted for helping out the bassheads dive into that hole

Maxxx is innocent too...he didnt know what lies below that sewer.. cept some echoe..

but i did dropped some garb into it,  and a badass escaped..

i am innocent !!!!!!! 

post #2102 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Got some replacement cables, 1st the Fiio, did increase the bass, but I think the mids get recessed and slightly veiled to my ears. The Beats cable came today, similar to me, less open, stage, highs imo, bass better. Hooked them up now for burn in, but, overall, of the 3 (and I haven't done head to head), the stock is still overall best. One of these days have to shave the Pipeline down so I can get it to fit the ML. Still having my Love them/Take-them-or-leave-them schizoid relationship with them, usually dependent on whether I can get some bass out of them or not (but not at the sacrifice of some of the other ML goodness). Still playin around w/them...


^ Just realize that for me the FiiO cable sounds too grainy for some reason, seems the sound is peppered with a lot more texture/ grain than the other cables. Still good but sounds kinda a bit too intense tbh. LMAO if that makes any sense. rolleyes.gif  

Yup, grainy is a good description, burn in maybe helped a bit, but still quite noticeable...not the cure all for the phones, I'm afraid, stock cord still sounds better imo.
post #2103 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

i am done with solidstates....firing up a mullardGZ34 now...paired with some sweet philips run of mill tubes. 

 

i am innocent, i am not a basshead...i cant be convicted for helping out the bassheads dive into that hole

Maxxx is innocent too...he didnt know what lies below that sewer.. cept some echoe..

but i did dropped some garb into it,  and a badass escaped..

i am innocent !!!!!!! 

I thought I was through with SS, too, but you shoulda heard the BASSSSSSS response with the GCHA!!

 

Your innocence will be up to the Review Board to decide.  Tell it to the Board--you [c'mon admit it and the judge'll go easy on you this time since its your first offence] BASSHEAD!  

 

Folks, the BASSHEADS have infiltrated the Mikros 90 Brotherhood.  Report all suspected BASSHEADS to the nearest ML Agency.  Be careful, even your closest friend or family member may be a covert basshead.  Mikros 90 users seen scavanging in the local local landfills for scraps of Givenchy leather is usually a dead giveaway.

 

Confiscate all bass-heavy headphones and leave them at the door with sfwalcer.  Put a big red B on their foreheads and parade them in the public square as a warning/deterent to others.

 

If you or anyone you know is a BASSSSSHEADDDDD, call 1-800-BASS-MIKROS.  Lines are open 24 hours.  All calls are confidential.


Edited by pataburd - 2/22/14 at 6:31am
post #2104 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post


Yup, grainy is a good description, burn in maybe helped a bit, but still quite noticeable...not the cure all for the phones, I'm afraid, stock cord still sounds better imo.

Funny.  Not grainy with me.  In fact the FiiO sounds like it takes away the leading edge on just about everything.  I'll listen some more.

 

But agreed, there are better--and cheaper--options out there.


Edited by pataburd - 2/22/14 at 6:28am
post #2105 of 6492

did someone said the fiioo cable is made by Oyaide? tot they had some v transparent wires.. 

post #2106 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Got some replacement cables, 1st the Fiio, did increase the bass, but I think the mids get recessed and slightly veiled to my ears. The Beats cable came today, similar to me, less open, stage, highs imo, bass better. Hooked them up now for burn in, but, overall, of the 3 (and I haven't done head to head), the stock is still overall best. One of these days have to shave the Pipeline down so I can get it to fit the ML. Still having my Love them/Take-them-or-leave-them schizoid relationship with them, usually dependent on whether I can get some bass out of them or not (but not at the sacrifice of some of the other ML goodness). Still playin around w/them...


^ Just realize that for me the FiiO cable sounds too grainy for some reason, seems the sound is peppered with a lot more texture/ grain than the other cables. Still good but sounds kinda a bit too intense tbh. LMAO if that makes any sense. rolleyes.gif  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Got some replacement cables, 1st the Fiio, did increase the bass, but I think the mids get recessed and slightly veiled to my ears. The Beats cable came today, similar to me, less open, stage, highs imo, bass better. Hooked them up now for burn in, but, overall, of the 3 (and I haven't done head to head), the stock is still overall best. One of these days have to shave the Pipeline down so I can get it to fit the ML. Still having my Love them/Take-them-or-leave-them schizoid relationship with them, usually dependent on whether I can get some bass out of them or not (but not at the sacrifice of some of the other ML goodness). Still playin around w/them...
This was actually my assessment, I quoted Sf, thinking he might be describing the same thing I was. The cheapo Beats cable actually did sound harsh to me out of the box, have them burning now, see what happens. I'd compare the Fiio sound to what people call the Sennheiser "haze", some attribute to the 650's,but more pronounced. Listening out of Fiio X3/ALO National, maybe not the highest end front end, but not bad (I like it)
post #2107 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Yup, grainy is a good description, burn in maybe helped a bit, but still quite noticeable...not the cure all for the phones, I'm afraid, stock cord still sounds better imo.
Funny.  Not grainy with me.  In fact the FiiO sounds like it takes away the leading edge on just about everything.  I'll listen some more.

But agreed, there are better--and cheaper--options out there.
May have missed some of the better /cheaper options in this kazillion page thread, could you tell me what they are not? (will listen to Beats knock offs again after some burn in)
post #2108 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Okay, with about 24 hours burn in: Wow! These MIKROS have opened up something beautiful with just about 24 hours burn in. I have to admit that some of you youngsters have gotten it right. No vise fatigue for me either. I stretched them out before use. Great for The price. Not better than On1 but in that category with the m500 and other premiere on-ears. Well done on the advice about these.

We knew you would like them :)

post #2109 of 6492

I'm thinking about getting a pair. How far is it from On1?

post #2110 of 6492

i like the Vmoda cable on my tubeamps....airy spacious.

and the stockcable on my ipad n sansa ....clear n leaner.

 

======

 

just plugged in the DT770/600ohms ...after a week of neglect.

Cant help missing the clarity of the Mikros, and the more forward mids. 

Bass is a toss betw the two...both are very impactful...the whamms are all there.

circumaural pads are definitely more comfy..respite for my ear tendons. 

 

The modded Mikros is sounding more like a bigger can now...i wont call it a bookshelf spkr anymore;

Its a bookshelf with a musical REL subwoofer attached.

post #2111 of 6492
Just a quick heads up to those (like me) who are north of the 49th. Newegg.ca has the Mikros 90's on for $89.99 right now. So I will soon be up to 4 sets of these....order is in. :-)

For a cheap tube amp that works well with these, I can highly recommend the Bravo Audio Ocean.....I have an Amperex Bugle Boy in it, and it sounds superb for the price.
post #2112 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post
 

I'm thinking about getting a pair. How far is it from On1?

 

i think its about 200bucks apart...? 

post #2113 of 6492

I emailed Martin Logan about my missing screw, and also suggested that they participate in our forum. He got back to me, my screws are in the mail and he forwarded my email to the marketing dept. With any luck we can get some insider info, or MAYBE.... we will all be invited to Beta test the new model... hehe , we can dream !!

post #2114 of 6492

U might get bluetac n a pc of carven leather in the package ...just saying.

 

==========

 

A dream if we can beta test a 50mm circumaural gem from Mikros...

just scale up the cups...the drivers.. dun touch THAT HOLE !


Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/22/14 at 9:21am
post #2115 of 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

i think its about 200bucks apart...? 
In sound quality silly!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones