Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 132

post #1966 of 5778

Pataburd!:

post #1967 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

The mod opens up the sound.
Deeper mids.
Solves pre-burn congestion.
Have mine in drawer 4 3days now burning at high volume.
Will be doing lords updated mod for better basss control. .

 

Really, that's what I have the biggest issue with so far. I will see if it simply gets better with more playing time... and then if I need to do the mod. Exciting nonetheless.

post #1968 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post
 

Pataburd!:

Donald Chump is gonna hafta pry these Mikros 90 out of my rigor mortised fingers, Trunksy!

Take this job, Mister Chump, and do with it as Johnny Paycheck recommends.

Just don't take away my BILLION DOLLAR Babies!!!

 

*Leaves the building wearing only the Mikros 90 and a pair of argyle socks--er, and a fig leaf.


Edited by pataburd - 2/20/14 at 3:17pm
post #1969 of 5778
The mod is v easy...10mins. Or 30mins if u dropped the screws onto the sofa.
And easily reversible...just tape up that little hole under the driver.

Dampen the subterranean chamber as much as u need to match your setup...
What's shown on pic is excellent for a Sansa clip...
If u have an iPad, u need to dampen more...add more blue tac.
Or double up the felt..not sure if there is enuf height to stack up.

Generally I find cotton n sponge to diffuse the sound.
post #1970 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

The mod is v easy...10mins. Or 30mins if u dropped the screws onto the sofa.
And easily reversible...just tape up that little hole under the driver.

Dampen the subterranean chamber as much as u need to match your setup...
What's shown on pic is excellent for a Sansa clip...
If u have an iPad, u need to dampen more...add more blue tac.
Or double up the felt..not sure if there is enuf height to stack up.

Generally I find cotton n sponge to diffuse the sound.

Lors,

How many hours were on your pair before you modded?

Might burn mine in for at least 50 hours before doing the mod so the burn-in effects don't bleed into the modding effects.  That way, my post-mod "optimization"/tweaking will be minimized.

There's nothing like post-mod bleedin' burn-in effects to mess up the game, I'll tell ya.  :wink: 

 

I'm keeping one of these on my modding bench--to control heart burn-in:

 


Edited by pataburd - 2/21/14 at 3:38am
post #1971 of 5778
Should hv clocked up betw 50-100.. It's been working since it touched down.

Ahard tight bass is definitely achievable for anyone who makes a few attempts...
Taking into account your dap, pads, cables, tubes..tongue.gif
post #1972 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Forgot to say the material quality of the cups and headband is very high ...
Mostly high polished metal & leather ! smily_headphones1.gif

Yeh, Maxx, ain't she a BEAUT????

post #1973 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

Should hv clocked up betw 50-100.. It's been working since it touched down.

Ahard tight bass is definitely achievable for anyone who makes a few attempts...
Taking into account your dap, pads, cables, tubes..tongue.gif

. . . .and whether Mars is in conjunction with Venus.

post #1974 of 5778
Plugged my stock cable into the ultrasone extension cable n into the iPad, set with EQ in off position..
Better bass control, generally a bigger soundstage with the mod..on most songs I get a good forward presentation.

Ideally I get another Mikros n just tune it to the iPad for road duties...
And keep this mikroshypedbass for home duties.
Let me wait for the amazon ice to thaw.
post #1975 of 5778
I'll pass on getting "roughed up" and give them a fair listen!
post #1976 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post


U have the makings of a Mikros Hypist...u bought pads b4 the cans arrive? biggrin.gif
Let's pray the pads fit, n the rest of the carcass goes to a proper recycling feed.

 

^ Hypist right below, gets cable in before his Logans. haha  v

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

Woo hoo - look what I got!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

All I'm missing are the damned headphones LOL!

^ LMAO guess that extra for the black beats cable was worth it since they came in so quick. haha : P

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Where did you order that cable from, waynes world buddy?

+

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

The Beats knock-offs that sfwalcer introduced are on Amazon as:

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B8S4JI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

99 cents with $3.99 shipping.

 

Mine are due in this week.

 

[The bass--on the stock Mikros--from the Crosby, Stills and Nash remaster is pretty BIG and AMPLE as-is.  Can't imagine where the MikrosHypedBass mod will take these tracks!]

^ Oh the cables front, i wouldn't pay more than $5 for that beats cable tbh, cuz these Logans are TRULY reference level and are crazy receptive to cable changes/ sources: DACs/ AMPs etc.

 

These Logans ARE NOT BASS LITE, if they are you need to check your sources. Connected to my lappy using the FiiO E17 DAC and amped with the Schiit Vali these Logans come out to play. The sound is FULL, with great bass QUANTITY as well as quality even with the stock cable. That's right folks the same stock cable which made them sound kinda thin/lean via my ipods/ venturecraft  portable amp shines like crazy with a warmer DAC/source such as the FiiO E17/ Vali as i have spazzed about before.

 

The stock cable sound most transparent and "magical" to me cuz it has that amazing sound that i fell in love with, but it is now more full with the source changes. The FiiO cable sounded 2nd best, and is very similar to the stock cable but adds a bit more flavor/ texture/ air while still sounding transparent. 

 

The cheapo beats cable makes these Logans sound the most conventional/ generic, ie; loses some of that "Logan Magic" in transparency but still sound damn good due to it's more bold/ fuller sound. Texture is not as good as the FiiO cable after burn in, cuz the initial fullness/ weight it had is now toned down.

 

What surprised me the most is that the V-mode cable was my least favorite. It was just kinda meh on all accounts, cuz their sound was kinda lukewarm without my dynamics nor boldness. It sounded pretty good via my Audinst MX1 DAC/ Vali amp but it just wasn't as engaging as all the other cables. Even the el cheapo beats cable bests them from almost all my sources. 

 

For folks that want more fullness/ boldness from these Logans STAY AWAY FROM THE V-MODA CABLE!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

The mod opens up the sound.
Deeper mids.
Solves pre-burn congestion.
Have mine in drawer 4 3days now burning at high volume.
Will be doing lords updated mod for better basss control. .

^ Hey maxx if you can mod the bass of these Logans to have the same bold, full, yet transparent sound of the ATH WS99 even with the stock cable then these Logans are truly UNSTOPABLE!!!

 

Can't wait for ya'll to finalize these mods, BUT my Logans with the FiiO E17 DAC/ Vali AMP hits hard, full, tight, deep already without messing out their amazing mids/ treble with stock everything so..... LETS JUST SAY I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THEM!!! :L3000:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Forgot to say the material quality of the cups and headband is very high ...
Mostly high polished metal & leather ! smily_headphones1.gif

^ yeppp these are classy lookin' fo' sho. And that soft leather headband MY GAWD SOOOOO nice/ comfy. T_T

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 

I won't have my ET-1 cable till tomorrow :( but there are open box ones on ebay now for $7 -$10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=Pipeline%20ET-1&clk_rvr_id=590376209538

 

Impressions tomorrow on the fit and build at least. The ET-1 is directional and individually stranded like the ET-4. hopefully sounds near as good and plugs right in.

http://pipelineet.com/et-1/

 

^ Sweet let us know how that cable sound, hope they fit!!! :beerchug: 


Edited by sfwalcer - 2/20/14 at 3:49pm
post #1977 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

The Beats knock-offs that sfwalcer introduced are on Amazon as:

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B8S4JI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

99 cents with $3.99 shipping.

 

Yup, but I wanted a black one with an L jack, and I couldn't find any for the cheapo price (shipped to Canada as well).

post #1978 of 5778
Dammm....just plugged stock cable into iPad without EQ, hit hotel California...
The sound is crazy good. I am assuming this song is a reference for most folks.

I did enjoy the stock Mikros without mod...there was good bass.

But unplugging that little hole just opens up this can from a small bookshelf speaker to a full blown floor stander.
Most telling is that big big sound scape. Easy depth portrayal..more effortless.

It's like a cross between a denon d7000 bass with a T1 clarity.

As far as cable goes...it's a trial n error tweaking until u hit your personal sweetspot IMHO.
The v moda cable works on my home set up better than the stock cable.
But failed with my Sansa n iPad. tongue.gif


I just discovered what's been screwing my iPad...
When I listened to the songs that had been loaded into my iPad 's internal memory..the sound production is more bassy.
But when I turn on the home sharing mode n stream music from my MacBook base library..
The sound is crazy good.
Edited by Lorspeaker - 2/20/14 at 4:24pm
post #1979 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

These Logans ARE NOT BASS LITE, if they are you need to check your sources. Connected to my lappy using the FiiO E17 DAC and amped with the Schiit Vali these Logans come out to play. The sound is FULL, with great bass QUANTITY as well as quality even with the stock cable. That's right folks the same stock cable which made them sound kinda thin/lean via my ipods/ venturecraft  portable amp shines like crazy with a warmer DAC/source such as the FiiO E17/ Vali as i have spazzed about before.

 

The stock cable sound most transparent and "magical" to me cuz it has that amazing sound that i fell in love with, but it is now more full with the source changes. The FiiO cable sounded 2nd best, and is very similar to the stock cable but adds a bit more flavor/ texture/ air while still sounding transparent. 

 

The cheapo beats cable makes these Logans sound the most conventional/ generic, ie; loses some of that "Logan Magic" in transparency but still sound damn good due to it's more bold/ fuller sound. Texture is not as good as the FiiO cable after burn in, cuz the initial fullness/ weight it had is now toned down.

 

So what you are saying is that I got sucked into your pre-mature beats cable hype. Punk! That's ok though, I'm liking this cable with my X1's. I haven't ab'ed them against the ZU cable, but that ZU cable is so damned thick and inflexible that I might just keep using the beats lol.

 

Quote:

^ Hey maxx if you can mod the bass of these Logans to have the same bold, full, yet transparent sound of the ATH WS99 even with the stock cable then these Logans are truly UNSTOPABLE!!!

 

Yup, that would make the 90's truly epic in my books.

 

So @Maxx134, Sf isn't requesting, he's demanding!  :D

post #1980 of 5778

Equalizer my friends.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones