Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 119

post #1771 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

Well I've been listening to them for the past 45 mins. I don't think they're comparable to the HE-6 or HD650. That said, they're still a pretty good headphone. They're pretty musical. I'm find some edge in the upper mids which makes them sound a bit odd at times. Vocals and detail extraction are pretty great. I wish they were open - I'm missing the extra soundstage and thud of snare drums instead of the snappy noise. You're right that they love tubes.

Give them another 200 hours or so to settle down.

Stock cable is a little edgy in the upper mids/treble.

post #1772 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Give them another 200 hours or so to settle down.

Stock cable is a little edgy in the upper mids/treble.

I'm not sure it's a burn in matter - it's just that I'm missing the sense of space and air that I get in an open/semi closed can. Honestly as far as tonality I can't really fault them very much. The bass is quite fantastic and the mids at their best are quite sweet. Treble is well extended as well. They just don't have that free/spacey feel of the HD650/HE-6. I did convince a friend of mine to buy a set. I'm far from unhappy with these -  I just prefer my other cans at the moment. That said they'll definitely get that amount of listening time. 

post #1773 of 5963

Well, based on nehcrow and lorspeaker's impressons I think I'm going to hold off a bit on fiddling with my 90s and bought the beats solo replacement pads. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

 

suspect i will be bored quite fast  by another potentially pop-ish can from the initial feedback on the Cal2  :P

What i really wanted is a portable can that resembles a P5 in physical quality...but with high clarity. ( enuf to play classicals on my ipad in a Mcdonalds )

 

But what i didnt expect is how HOW CLEAR this Mikros is...those texturesssss on the soundssssssss....

( there goes...hyping myself into buying a 2nd pair.. somebody SHOOT ME PLS.)

 

Understood. Well, I'll be comparing the two starting later today, so I'll let you (and everyone else) how they compare later this week. I also bought the Shure replacement pads for the CAL 2 that someone recommended, so I'll be testing them out as well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

Well I've been listening to them for the past 45 mins. I don't think they're comparable to the HE-6 or HD650. That said, they're still a pretty good headphone. They're pretty musical. I'm find some edge in the upper mids which makes them sound a bit odd at times. Vocals and detail extraction are pretty great. I wish they were open - I'm missing the extra soundstage and thud of snare drums instead of the snappy noise. You're right that they love tubes.

 

Aren't snare drums supposed to be snappy? I suspect that you may need some brain burn in time. It also may just be the snare drum type or recording. I think the consensus is that the Martins are pretty true to the source. Youtube is a pretty good place to go to listen to different snare drum sounds/tuning. 

 

Also, it seems as if a lot of people seem to have better impressions after about the 50-100+ hour mark, so... Right now, if it's not all in my mind, my new pair of 90s sound a bit congested with less extension on the highs than my first pair of 90s that over 100 hours on them. 

 

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how you like them later down the road. 

post #1774 of 5963

I mean snappy in a sense of lacking body. Sounding a bit more like a wood block than a drum. 

 

I'll report back after somewhere around that mark

post #1775 of 5963
Quote:

Originally Posted by FajroMangxanto View Post


Well, based on nehcrow and lorspeaker's impressons I think I'm going to hold off a bit on fiddling with my 90s and bought the beats solo replacement pads. 

 

THAT is what's stopping me from modding at the moment...

post #1776 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Like Maxx noted, I will probably try some acoustic cloth or more permeable felt/fabric over the hole.  Am also considering leaving the hole wide open, but trimming a piece of acoustic fabric to fit between the driver and the memory foam ring cut-outs.  Have some fiberloft on hand, too.

 

* But "one-note" bass would definitely be a degradation of the stock driver sound(!), which has some of the best deep bass extension and articulation I have ever heard.

 

** "M100 levels", that will make vienbo and doctorjazz very, very happy!

 

 

VERY VERY HAPPY indeed! :D

 

I just need to wait for someone to fix the one bass note problem with this mod, then I'll just instantly mod them.

post #1777 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

I mean snappy in a sense of lacking body. Sounding a bit more like a wood block than a drum. 

 

I'll report back after somewhere around that mark

 

Interesting, I don't really get that impression.The impact is is fairly tight, but it sounds about how I'd expect to hear snare in person. Either way, the sounds differences are definitely audible based on tuning, sticks, attack, recording, etc. But, then again, I'm not a drummer and am going off a (possibly flawed) memory. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

THAT is what's stopping me from modding at the moment...

 

Haha! I was actually still counting on you modding them and maybe giving better impressions. Hopefully, the guys (or gals) get it somewhat figured out in 35 days before I can't return the CAL. :pressure:

post #1778 of 5963

Just got my replacement cable and pads that Martin Logan sent me. 

 

post #1779 of 5963

Welp I'm burning them in for now. Conveniently enough the case makes a great soundproof burn in chamber :) We'll see how they improve tomorrow

post #1780 of 5963

Got my Mikros 90s today and just walked inside and am ready to open them up. Gona film me opening em up and give my impression on them or just a basic unboxing I don't know. I'll post it up here.

post #1781 of 5963
This website should be re-named Mikros-Fi. The welcome motto should be Welcome to the Mikros madhouse. Leave all other headphones at the door, since you won't need them anymore.

MARTIN LOGAN TAKEOVER! IT'S LIKE A VERY...AFFORDABLE VIRUS!
post #1782 of 5963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

This website should be re-named Mikros-Fi. The welcome motto should be Welcome to the Mikros madhouse. Leave all other headphones at the door, since you won't need them anymore.

MARTIN LOGAN TAKEOVER! IT'S LIKE A VERY...AFFORDABLE VIRUS!

 

Can I get a 

 

 

Lol!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

Welp I'm burning them in for now. Conveniently enough the case makes a great soundproof burn in chamber :) We'll see how they improve tomorrow

 

Right now I'm listening to Queens of the Stone Age's self titled album and to me the snare sounds fine. What I will say is, the snare sound a bit less impactful (maybe a smidge more boomy) on live tracks versus studio recorded, which I assume is due to distance of the mics. Keep us posted!

 

Anyway.. about to open up the CAL 2 box. 

post #1783 of 5963

whaaaaaaaaat....have a cuppa coffeeeeeee!!!!

 

My Ntune redpads n Vmodacable sounds fine with my ipad, butter..blueberryjam...n peanutbutter :)

 

If i am in a financial jam..i could easily live with this simple setup...and still enjoy HIGH FIDELITY music.

=======

 

Anyone has a Momentum? does the pads fit? 

post #1784 of 5963

 

which one should i roll in...hmmmmmm....beyer...ultrasone...or.....

post #1785 of 5963

Start with the beyer and roll a new one everyday of the week. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones