or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones - Page 99

post #1471 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I just...don't...get it. These have plenty of bass. Maybe you guys listen to all of those other bass heavy cans.(ATH WS99, Momentum, 1R, M100, D2000, etc).

Preference my friend. These do have plenty for sure. However,some recordings make these sound bass ligbt, the fit also factors into our perception of bass. That's why some headfiers hate on ears.
post #1472 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post

My ET-1 cable has shipped. Hopefully I'll get it by mid-week. More snow might slow it frown.gif

I haven't decided on a new "audiophile player" yet and no longer have my amps so I'm just running the Mikros pretty much naked. Still the simple word to describe them is "right". Everything just sounds right or correct. No flaws or things that seem off. Better stage size out there, better absolute resolution out there, better extension on the ends out there to but for a small, quite portable on-ear I'm not gonna/can't say a bad thing about them unless they break on me or something smily_headphones1.gif Yeah, they don't work well with some players equipped with speakers but the ET-1 will convert from the 3-pole plug. Can't say anything negative w/o sounding like an audiophile snob esp. for $60 rolleyes.gif
Oh, is that me you're talking about? :P

And +1 with what you said about these
post #1473 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I just...don't...get it. These have plenty of bass. Maybe you guys listen to all of those other bass heavy cans.(ATH WS99, Momentum, 1R, M100, D2000, etc).

 

Have you heard something like from the VSD1 series? The bass has fair amount more impact/loudness to it, but it lacks the quality or extension. It's like a higher quality of head banging bass from Beats headphones/IEMs with almost not sub bass. It's literally all in head, but it's, again, loud and impactful. I still think that the 90s get close enough to that level when the song calls for, plus adds more extension and layering. It also doesn't muddy the rest of the spectrum. 

 

Now, i admit that there are probably much better headphones than the VSD1 series that can retain a lot more quality, but we're still in the sub $100 territory. And, again, I'm pretty interested in the CAL 2 at only $130 since it's said to have both quality and quantity, though it might still be a bit too bassy at times and a maybe a bit loose as well. Really, I just don't want a headphone that colors everything. 

post #1474 of 6488


For the guys who think there is not enough bass:

 

Do not try the K702, HD800 or even the T1 (well, try them, but be sure you can return them).  

 

You will enjoy stuff like the HE400, LCD2 or even the HE500.

 

 

 

And bravo vlembo...this is exactly how impressions should be expressed in a thread..."there is not enough bass FOR ME" (or for my tastes...or for my preference).


I hate it when people just claim that a certain can does not have enough of this or it that it lacks that...as if their tastes are the common denominator that everyone else on Headfi should adhere to.

 

I can say that the Mikros 90 is not a bass monster, but it is also not bass light.  The Mikros is not a Momentum...and it is not an ER4P.

post #1475 of 6488

Okay, you guys have finally broke me down. I purchased one from newegg. I was in no rush with shipping, so I probably won't see the thing until Thursday or Friday of next week. I will try my Zu cable and and Mediabridge cable on it to see if it will increase the bass for me (it probably won't have enough bass for me initially, but we will see). If those don't work I'll order one of the cheap BEAT cables. Between this, the X1, HP50, On1, Onkyo, M500, and WS99, I should have enough headphones with a variety of signatures to hold me over. I don't know if I have them listed, but the M500 and WS99 are up for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not urgently trying to sell them, but wouldn't mind if they found another happy home to lighten my headphone load. 

post #1476 of 6488
So the beyerdynamic pads are a tad too tiny😃 but no worries because It has glue on the back so I just took of the stock pad and removed the foam that was in them and took the cover and place it over the Beyer pads and low and behold more isolation and better sound balace😲😎
post #1477 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Okay, you guys have finally broke me down. I purchased one from newegg. I was in no rush with shipping, so I probably won't see the thing until Thursday or Friday of next week. I will try my Zu cable and and Mediabridge cable on it to see if it will increase the bass for me (it probably won't have enough bass for me initially, but we will see). If those don't work I'll order one of the cheap BEAT cables. Between this, the X1, HP50, On1, Onkyo, M500, and WS99, I should have enough headphones with a variety of signatures to hold me over. I don't know if I have them listed, but the M500 and WS99 are up for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not urgently trying to sell them, but wouldn't mind if they found another happy home to lighten my headphone load. 

 

Nice. 

 

 

 

If you will like them, you can thank me.   If you don't like them, you can blame pataburd.  :tongue_smile:

post #1478 of 6488
I ordered a 8CORE 4N OCC CABLE FROM EBAY FOR $48😎😊
post #1479 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

Nice. 

 

 

 

If you will like them, you can thank me.   If you don't like them, you can blame pataburd.  :tongue_smile:

 

 

LOL.... If I like them I have to thank vlenbo, waynes world, sf.................and you!  lol

post #1480 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 


^ DAT REALISM AND MICRO DETAILING. :cool: That was what got me when i listened to them late at high the very 1st day i got them, cuz those nuance things will literally jump out at you in dead quiet environments and i have heard some of those albums tons of times and didn't hear what i heard so easily/ effortlessly with these Logans.

 

If ya'll are not impressed with these Logans initially just go listen to some of your favorite albums at night when it is dead quiet. Gonna be a fun trip fo' sho. :)

 

edit: oh and that bubble gums gets to everyone, so you ain't THAT special. :p

^ Ooops typo i meant "night" why of course. :wink_face: Though the typo makes sense as well. haha :ph34r:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FajroMangxanto View Post
 

 

Haha, yeah! I've had to take them off a couple of times because I thought I was hearing something in the room. 

^ You sure you weren't............................ check reply quote above. ;)

 

........................  :deadhorse:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

I have my doubts about cables making any changes at all...

but I might order that beats cable that for $2.40 for the lolz

Not expecting anything

^ yeppp get them and give them a try just for the LuLs cuz it's worth it. : P

 

It might surprise you. :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Spectral graphs?!?!?!?!?!?!?  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SPECTRAL GRAPHS!!!

 

[We got ears.]

^ +1

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

APB for PredatorZ!!!!!!!

 

A few folks have expressed interest in the Pipeline ET-4, but need the input plug barrel reduction mod.  Would you be able to mod a few if I send them direct to you?  Then you can forward them to the respective parties.  I am out of town most of the time and away from the tools.

 

Will reimburse you for the forwarding fees.

^ BIG THANKS to PredatorZ and Godfather Pata Hypa' in advance for the generous offer!!! :beerchug:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Yes, I sense essentially what that graph portrays. Lifted midrange, some treble peaks, and that other peak right around the sibilance area.

 

+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

We are talking about the HD650, no?  At least that is how the spectral graph is labeled.

 

+

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

lol

^   TOTAL OWNAGE by Godfather Pata Hypa' LMAO. Sure is was those HD650, RIGHT??? :wink_face: Dat freudian slip. hoho : P

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Yup. I just can't do red. I can live with my H200 red cable, but that's it!

ehhh i am still surprised how you can still live with those H200s tbh. :p j/k

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post


I am still going to blame the headphones.

Sure, a source can help bring the bass output of these beauts, but you forgot the biggest factor of a headphone user.

Our sound preference. And the fit of these headphones in particular, as me and doctor have problems with the fit sometimes.

I enjoy good bass quality and enough bass quantity. I want a bit more bass quantity than my es700s. The martins almost reach the quantity of the es70ps, which to me, is enough. However, it is bass light Imo when the bass levels are a bit less or at the es700s level.

The re700s have more than the es700s in bass quality and quantity for nd to be satisfied. The quality of the martins are also better than es700s.

Cable source is the only thing I care about, I'm not spending money on an amp or dac at the moment.

The martins are still badass, especially in comparison to the rest of my gear.

But to me, the re700s are just as good as the martins in some ways, and quantity of bass Is one factor.

Sfw saved my martins life with that beats cable. I'm ordering it on monday.

Also, I know that the recording depends on the quantity, but again, my preference gets in the way of enjoying the martins to the fullest.

^ i hope i weren't just trippin' is all. haha :duggfloat:........................................................................ :ph34r:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Hmmm?

^ GET ON IT FOOL!!! You know you wanna. :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FajroMangxanto View Post
 

 

I admit that these are on the light side when it comes to sub bass. I can feel it, but it's light; mostly I hear where the sub bass is/should be, if that makes sense. Anyway, I listened to Dark Horse, and I think that the bass may be light in general for the recording. But, yeah, the 90s aren't really reproducing the sub bass like how I hear on the B3s (chest level) or from a subwoofer. I guess the rest of the sound was so good that I glanced over the lack of sub bass. I think if you want to hear how hard the bass can hit--well, as much as it has for me to date.....

^ My exact sentiments on the sub bass front, like i said in my initial impression there is good extension/ depth BUT there is very little texture/ fullness in the sub bass regions. With the beats cable this is improved slightly but not really THAT much. They have good reach but not great in the visceral sense that great quality audiophile bass iems/ cans can give you like the JVC FXZ200s, ATH WS99, ATH CKS1000s, etc etc etc.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post


It's the headphones purpose really. These are reference headphones, I won't blame the headphone for following their word and promise.

I just blame the phone for not coloring them when I want the bass, lol

Let me explain. I love that these headphones for putting out the exact sounds you would here in a studio recording. However, that reference sound is a double edged sword. If you want more bass, you need to eq or get a source that helps the headphone improve in its bass. That's where I was going at. This headphone alone doesn't satisfy me completely, and I'd be stupid for calling it my last headphone, because I'm never going to stop exploring other headphones, even if these are actually as good and better than some )$300

^ +1 but for now these make me REALLY satisfied enough to hold off buying portable headphones for now. I REALLY wanted those AKG K545s but these Logans surprised me so much that i ain't even tempted no more unless i can get them for a really sweet/ slick price that is. hoho :veryevil: But yeah my portable front is pretty much done cuz of the Logan WOOT WOOT!!!

 

Gots some modded Fostex T50RPs coming in and those should be also my ENDGAME for full size as well. Maybe i'll just pick up a fully open set in the future by i am pretty much set for now for a while. :atsmile:

 

Oh the iem front though......... no comment. :triportsad:...........

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I just...don't...get it. These have plenty of bass. Maybe you guys listen to all of those other bass heavy cans.(ATH WS99, Momentum, 1R, M100, D2000, etc).

^ These have AMAZING snappy, tight, punchy mid bass that is crazy clean and transparent, but like everyone posted above there isn't much sub bass texture, depth nor fullness. Yes the bass on these are top quality but it is still more on the lean but mean side like my Bruce Lee analogy. : P

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 

My ET-1 cable has shipped. Hopefully I'll get it by mid-week. More snow might slow it :(

 

I haven't decided on a new "audiophile player" yet and no longer have my amps so I'm just running the Mikros pretty much naked. Still the simple word to describe them is "right". Everything just sounds right or correct. No flaws or things that seem off. Better stage size out there, better absolute resolution out there, better extension on the ends out there to but for a small, quite portable on-ear I'm not gonna/can't say a bad thing about them unless they break on me or something :) Yeah, they don't work well with some players equipped with speakers but the ET-1 will convert from the 3-pole plug. Can't say anything negative w/o sounding like an audiophile snob esp. for $60 :rolleyes:

^ Like i be saying DAT REALISM!!! :cool:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FajroMangxanto View Post
 

 

Have you heard something like from the VSD1 series? The bass has fair amount more impact/loudness to it, but it lacks the quality or extension. It's like a higher quality of head banging bass from Beats headphones/IEMs with almost not sub bass. It's literally all in head, but it's, again, loud and impactful. I still think that the 90s get close enough to that level when the song calls for, plus adds more extension and layering. It also doesn't muddy the rest of the spectrum. 

 

Now, i admit that there are probably much better headphones than the VSD1 series that can retain a lot more quality, but we're still in the sub $100 territory. And, again, I'm pretty interested in the CAL 2 at only $130 since it's said to have both quality and quantity, though it might still be a bit too bassy at times and a maybe a bit loose as well. Really, I just don't want a headphone that colors everything. 

^ yeppp 100% agreed as well, if these Logan had the bass texture and sub bass extension of the VSonic VSD1s OH MY GAWD!!! ENDGAME nuff said. Let's just say i am so happy with my VSD1s that i traded away my gr07 BEs with no regrets WHATSOEVER!!!

 

So yes, VSonic is a master in bass depth extension and texture like no other i have heard before for such a low price. That's why i am a big fan of their iems even though it takes them literally forever to release stuff. LoL

post #1481 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Okay, you guys have finally broke me down. I purchased one from newegg. I was in no rush with shipping, so I probably won't see the thing until Thursday or Friday of next week. 

 

Congrats! You'll probably get your before I get mine you so and so! 

 

Quote:
 I will try my Zu cable and and Mediabridge cable on it to see if it will increase the bass for me (it probably won't have enough bass for me initially, but we will see). If those don't work I'll order one of the cheap BEAT cables. Between this, the X1, HP50, On1, Onkyo, M500, and WS99, I should have enough headphones with a variety of signatures to hold me over. I don't know if I have them listed, but the M500 and WS99 are up for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not urgently trying to sell them, but wouldn't mind if they found another happy home to lighten my headphone load. 

 

Quite the nice slew of headphones you got there eric! Your impressions will be appreciated as usual :)

post #1482 of 6488

Got mine in today... Having first listen... First impression is damn these are bassy!! I don't get the comments they're bass light at first!! And they seem a little murky with resolution and treble detail, but I have gotten accustomed to the sound of the SE846 lately so that should be expected I guess. And I expected them to be finicky with pad position on the ear, but sheesh, that's an understatement! The slightest movement creates a quantum shift in sound location and tone!!! 

 

Anyway, seems to be a decent headphone so far. I will keep experimenting with things, and let them run in more before I provide much more in the way of observations... those were just my very first thoughts. 

post #1483 of 6488

^

G44... sawee about dat wall of text reply but it is what it is. :cool:

 

Welp here comes another one. :tongue:

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 


For the guys who think there is not enough bass:

 

Do not try the K702, HD800 or even the T1 (well, try them, but be sure you can return them).  

 

You will enjoy stuff like the HE400, LCD2 or even the HE500.

 

 

 

And bravo vlembo...this is exactly how impressions should be expressed in a thread..."there is not enough bass FOR ME" (or for my tastes...or for my preference).


I hate it when people just claim that a certain can does not have enough of this or it that it lacks that...as if their tastes are the common denominator that everyone else on Headfi should adhere to.

 

I can say that the Mikros 90 is not a bass monster, but it is also not bass light.  The Mikros is not a Momentum...and it is not an ER4P.

^ Right 100% agreed but that should be a given though. Think we have a good consensus in that these Logans have great bass quality, but quantity can sound kinda lean for others but it is no where near anemic.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

Okay, you guys have finally broke me down. I purchased one from newegg. I was in no rush with shipping, so I probably won't see the thing until Thursday or Friday of next week. I will try my Zu cable and and Mediabridge cable on it to see if it will increase the bass for me (it probably won't have enough bass for me initially, but we will see). If those don't work I'll order one of the cheap BEAT cables. Between this, the X1, HP50, On1, Onkyo, M500, and WS99, I should have enough headphones with a variety of signatures to hold me over. I don't know if I have them listed, but the M500 and WS99 are up for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not urgently trying to sell them, but wouldn't mind if they found another happy home to lighten my headphone load. 

^ NICE!!! Hope ya' like them if not............................

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

Nice. 

 

 

 

If you will like them, you can thank me.   If you don't like them, you can blame pataburd.  :tongue_smile:

.......................... and don't forget the Logan's $50 Money buyback Guarantee. HE HE HE :evil: if you don't like them that is so i got ya' covered FRIEND. : P

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

 

 

LOL.... If I like them I have to thank vlenbo, waynes world, sf.................and you!  lol

^ No need to wait we'll take our props now. :)


Edited by sfwalcer - 2/14/14 at 2:45pm
post #1484 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


LOL.... If I like them I have to thank vlenbo, waynes world, sf.................and you!  lol


This is what you have to look forward to. :P

Unfortunately the watch phones (watch dogs) aren't included...so you will need to keep an eye out for your micros in case someone steals it!

The cups are leather bound, as well as the headphone padding, pretty good I must say!

And also, +1 to sf, we will take our thanks now. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by vlenbo - 2/14/14 at 2:53pm
post #1485 of 6488
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post




This is what you have to look forward to. :P

And also, +1 to sf, we will take our thanks now. smily_headphones1.gif

^ LoL is that your 2nd brand spanking new set still in plastic wrap???!!! :eek:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones