Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) - Page 642

post #9616 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

I have to agree with you on the UHA and  I am 100% satisfied with it. Nick is also a great guy and been so patient with me asking so many questions as I am experiencing the dc offsets from lod output. I don't know how he designed the amp, it's amazing tho it has NO dc blocking caps but it has no trouble handling the 1.5 volts and then kill it completely at output to phones.

 

Honestly I am still shocked by the latest results - the most neutral/transparent/cleanest/detailed/effortless sound with the kind of sound stage I have never experienced before. I don't use the hi-gain setting before (due to loss of details and clarity to my ears) but now I really enjoy it if I want to use it.

 

If I can't find another amp with similar design (no DC blocking caps but can take it and then kill it at output), I may end up with having another UHA for backup. Let me know if you guys know any other amps with similar design.

Unless I'm mistaken "no DC blocking caps but can take it and then kill it at output" means placing output caps at the end of the amp signal chain. Amp designers will try to avoid because technically means a less 'pure' signal, making it more difficult to market, regardless of whether the differences are audible or not.

 

Essentially avoiding placing output caps in an amp is the same reasoning behind removing the output caps of a dac, like in your diymod...

post #9617 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

Unless I'm mistaken "no DC blocking caps but can take it and then kill it at output" means placing output caps at the end of the amp signal chain. Amp designers will try to avoid because technically means a less 'pure' signal, making it more difficult to market, regardless of whether the differences are audible or not.

 

Essentially avoiding placing output caps in an amp is the same reasoning behind removing the output caps of a dac, like in your diymod...

 

Below is what Nick told me ...

 

"The output of the amp does not have DC blocking caps in the signal path. Instead, there is an active circuit which compensates for any offset seen at the output, driving it to near zero."

 

I like the idea he is not using any dc blocking caps.

 

EDIT: I also measured zero dc offset from AMP's output even with the 1.5v from ipod's lod.


Edited by DMinor - 1/20/14 at 12:35pm
post #9618 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Below is what Nick told me ...

 

"The output of the amp does not have DC blocking caps in the signal path. Instead, there is an active circuit which compensates for any offset seen at the output, driving it to near zero."

 

I like the idea he is not using any dc blocking caps.

 

EDIT: I also measured zero dc offset from AMP's output even with the 1.5v from ipod's lod.

Well then I am mistaken :) Fascinating stuff indeed.

post #9619 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

Well then I am mistaken :) Fascinating stuff indeed.

 

Indeed fascinating, and it's the best bang for the buck for my investment. Not really, I got my EX1000 for 140 bucks. Still not true, I bought a broken ipod from ebay for $20 and it works for DMod. :wink_face:

 

My most regret purchase is 300 bucks for a 256GB CF card now rockboxed in one of the DMod's. :)

post #9620 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

If you have two-piece stack and the total thickness is around 1.5", you may have a good chance to fit it. But you need to makes sure you only operate UI from the transparent cover (without the need to open the amp wallet for UI).

 

I would say the amp wallet is very practical for portable 2-piece stack with that thickness.

Thanks man! The DX50+PB2 stack is 43mm or 1.7" so it would be a tight fit. I'll keep an eye out for it.

post #9621 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Thanks man! The DX50+PB2 stack is 43mm or 1.7" so it would be a tight fit. I'll keep an eye out for it.

 

Sorensiim if your wife knows a little bit about tailor thing try ask her to come up with a custom design for you. That way also saves money and she will like the idea. :)

 

I have been thinking about a custom design for the amp wallet, similar to what I have but with a style. The one I have is practical and protects the gears well, but it looks boring. Once I talked to a tailor lady in a shop and showed her this amp wallet. She said she could do it for 100 bucks using quality leather with some improvement.

post #9622 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleended58 View Post


I am using the stock digital coaxial (dac) since I do not have mini to mini (amp) yet. I am going to diy with oyaide mini 3.5mm. Any other best suggestion for mini to mini cable? Thank you.

 

Try the 22 awg pure silver wires with cotton jacketing from Home Grown Audio. Really good stuff.

post #9623 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Try the 22 awg pure silver wires with cotton jacketing from Home Grown Audio. Really good stuff.

DMinor,
Is this silver wire you refer?
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/22-awg-silver-wire-cotton-dielectric/
post #9624 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleended58 View Post


DMinor,
Is this silver wire you refer?
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/22-awg-silver-wire-cotton-dielectric/

 

Yes Sir. I will reimburse you if you don't like it. :)  If/after you order, it will take a few days for them to prepare the cotton dielectric.

 

The wires may be a little stiff but for my LOD's not a problem. I put the wires in a rubber sleeve, which was recycled from the stock cable for my son's D2000 when I shortened that monster cable.

 

 

post #9625 of 13177

Portable close back sum up! The best part? They all pair wonderfully with AK100.

 

SRH940, SRH1540, M500

post #9626 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

Portable close back sum up! The best part? They all pair wonderfully with AK100.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

SRH940, SRH1540, M500

 

 

 

How do the 940s compare to the 1540s? 

post #9627 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko93101 View Post
 

 

 

How do the 940s compare to the 1540s? 

With the pads swapped, similar. http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv/435#post_10186706

But just in the stock form, 1540 have much more liquid and warm sound, with the clarity and detail of SRH940. The treble is not as fancy as 940 though.

post #9628 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

Sorensiim if your wife knows a little bit about tailor thing try ask her to come up with a custom design for you. That way also saves money and she will like the idea. :)

 

I have been thinking about a custom design for the amp wallet, similar to what I have but with a style. The one I have is practical and protects the gears well, but it looks boring. Once I talked to a tailor lady in a shop and showed her this amp wallet. She said she could do it for 100 bucks using quality leather with some improvement.

It's a good suggestion but sadly she's pretty useless when it comes to needlework :D

 

Can't complain though, she knows the cost of my gear and I'm not sleeping on the couch...

post #9629 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

It's a good suggestion but sadly she's pretty useless when it comes to needlework :D

 

Can't complain though, she knows the cost of my gear and I'm not sleeping on the couch...

 

With the gears to listen to music I am no longer sure if sleeping on couch is a bad thing at all.  LOL.

post #9630 of 13177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

With the gears to listen to music I am no longer sure if sleeping on couch is a bad thing at all.  LOL.

Well either our couch is too short or I'm too tall to fit comfortably...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)