Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) - Page 385

post #5761 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

Sounds like a man who is happy with his rig. smily_headphones1.gif


That must be me as I logged 15 hrs of music just yesterday. wink_face.gif

post #5762 of 13865

Is is just me, or these vintage CD-Players sound so great. It is not a joke. This one is the D-4/D-40.

 

 

 

post #5763 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Is is just me, or these vintage CD-Players sound so great. It is not a joke. This one is the D-4/D-40.

 

 

 

 

 

You are not alone. That's why the audiophiles call CD-quality audio from the dap's.

post #5764 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post


That's the point of the line out is to bypass the amp. I don't know of any true line outs that's amped.

I think the "proper" way to amp a hpo is to max the volume to simulate the lo and adjust volume via the amp.

I just tried this, put the sansa output on 90%, and controlled the volume with the E6. This actually seemed to work a bit better, bass response seemed punchier, and everything sounds slightly cleaner.

However, the differences are really tiny (sansa hpo vs E6), especially with the easy to drive TDK BA200. With the german maestro headphones I can clearly hear a difference though, and my up and coming cosmic ears cIEMs are supposed to be pretty power hungry. So for €25 I think it's worth it!

 

Also, it looks cool. Honestly, that's probably the biggest contributor in most dac/amp purchases :p

post #5765 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

You are not alone. That's why the audiophiles call CD-quality audio from the dap's.

 

In the moment I forgot, but I wanted to ask, if there is an amp, that has a similar dac and amp section like these PCDP.

 

Sadly none of the DAPs I have at home has this sound. That is why I from time to time listen to one of my vintage cd players.

 

Additionally I have to say, that the D-22 can drive the DT1350 to levels, i have not heard before.

post #5766 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

 

In the moment I forgot, but I wanted to ask, if there is an amp, that has a similar dac and amp section like these PCDP.

 

Sadly none of the DAPs I have at home has this sound. That is why I from time to time listen to one of my vintage cd players.

 

Additionally I have to say, that the D-22 can drive the DT1350 to levels, i have not heard before.

you are not alone I own the Sony D25 and is the best music player I have ever heard! 

post #5767 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillaz View Post

you are not alone I own the Sony D25 and is the best music player I have ever heard! 

 

DMinor and you say it like we are some kind of outsiders :D

post #5768 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

 

In the moment I forgot, but I wanted to ask, if there is an amp, that has a similar dac and amp section like these PCDP.

 

Sadly none of the DAPs I have at home has this sound. That is why I from time to time listen to one of my vintage cd players.

 

Additionally I have to say, that the D-22 can drive the DT1350 to levels, i have not heard before.

 

The most important piece of the whole game to achieve the CD quality sound is the source. I believe with the technology advance in the dac and the caps, we are already there or close to being there.

 

The capable source will glorify your amps and headphones making them really sounding/looking good, not the other way around. That's why you see the head-fi'ers keep changing amps and phones. No way could they get to where they want to be by switching amps'/phones if the dap's are incapable.


Edited by DMinor - 8/1/13 at 12:38pm
post #5769 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

The most important piece of the whole game to achieve the CD quality sound is the source. I believe with the technology advance in the dac and the caps, we are already there or close to being there.

 

The capable source will glorify your amps and headphones making them really sounding/looking good, not the other way around. That's why you see the head-fi'ers keep changing amps and phones. No way could they get to where they want to be by switching amps'/phones if the dap's are incapable.

 

Do not forget, that in many cases, if you add the amp, the thickness doubles or triples. The only drawback is that you have only one album.

 

The D15 service manual is somewhere in the internet. Theoretically it is possible to build a dap with the DAC and amp section of the D15, because all the schematics are available.l

post #5770 of 13865
Ok I have a question that's totally off topic but I'm posting it her because I know how populated this thread is

I need to find an external dac that does virtual 5.1 or 7.1

Kind of like how astro has the mix amp and turtle beach has the dss, but if I were to buy one of those I would have to double amp it because I play games with my arrow 4g

I'm gonna hook the sound processor up to my ps3 via optical cable and then run my arrow 4g from that to my ue 6000, (it'll be awesome for battlefield 3)
post #5771 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpawluk91 View Post

Ok I have a question that's totally off topic but I'm posting it her because I know how populated this thread is

I need to find an external dac that does virtual 5.1 or 7.1

Kind of like how astro has the mix amp and turtle beach has the dss, but if I were to buy one of those I would have to double amp it because I play games with my arrow 4g

I'm gonna hook the sound processor up to my ps3 via optical cable and then run my arrow 4g from that to my ue 6000, (it'll be awesome for battlefield 3)

 

You may be better off asking this question in another thread...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

post #5772 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

 

Do not forget, that in many cases, if you add the amp, the thickness doubles or triples. The only drawback is that you have only one album.

 

The D15 service manual is somewhere in the internet. Theoretically it is possible to build a dap with the DAC and amp section of the D15, because all the schematics are available.l


DAP is the way to go that's for sure, regardless how thick the stack is. Being portable doesn't mean you can only put it in your pocket or this size small. So don't want to be sucked into that thinking. What's the most important is the sound quality of course. If you know you have achieved your best SQ, will you settle down for less due to less portability? Not for me, not at all. I go to office everyday (yes boring but that's life) with the combo in my hands (haven't brought my suitcase or bag to office for yrs), I even bring the gear to restaurants during lunch hrs. I used to listen to music with my iem's while driving, but I don't do that now due to concerns for safety (unable to hear outside warning if any, including ambulance). The battery life is the 2nd most important for portability. You don't want to charge this damn thing twice or even once everyday, not a big deal but irritating. Interestingly, the SQ and power are actually related. A clean and efficient circuit not only will bring out better SQ but also consume power more efficiently. How beautiful is that!

 

CD player sounds great but its storage, portability and battery endurance are pathetic.

post #5773 of 13865
I'd rather carry around a 2-inch thick rig that sounds good than a 6-inch one that has super duper sound quality and makes me look like a complete idiot in public.
post #5774 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I'd rather carry around a 2-inch thick rig that sounds good than a 6-inch one that has super duper sound quality and makes me look like a complete idiot in public.

+1

I feel odd sometimes with just my f series walkman and E12. DAP rigs are just things people dont see everyday where i live...
Edited by Change is Good - 8/1/13 at 5:50pm
post #5775 of 13865
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I'd rather carry around a 2-inch thick rig that sounds good than a 6-inch one that has super duper sound quality and makes me look like a complete idiot in public.

 

I actually consider 2" to be quasi portable, because mine is only 1.5" thick including everything. I don't blame you. wink_face.gif

 

Nah we are not talking about 6", not even 2", because it doesn't have to be that thick to be sounding excellent if you got it right.

 

Now making yourself look like a complete idiot in public is nothing compared to making yourself look like a terrorist with a bomb, and you might get shot by a security force when told to lay down the "weapon" but you can't hear.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)