Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) - Page 363

post #5431 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieBuns View Post


Loving the porn music bro, that's a sweet looking rig, I bet it sounds luscious. Is that a balanced LOD? Do you hear the difference with IEMs?

Steve

**EDIT** After watching the video again that's not a balanced LOD at all right? The AlgoRhythm Solo just has the USB there instead?


Correct, that's whats known as a SXC 25 USB Mini A interconnect. Basically, that interconnect bypasses the iPod's DAC and amp and feeds a digital signal into the CLAS-db which converts it into a analog signal. The input connector on the CLAS-db is a mini USB input. From there the analog signal is fed into the ALO RX MKIII-B amp via a copper 22 balanced interconnect. You can't see the balanced interconnect in the picture because it's on the other side of the stack. The ALO amp has both a single ended output which is the headphone jack and a balanced output which is the big square connection next to the knobs and gain switch. If you want to see how it's put together you can check out the video below showing me plugging it all together and getting it ready to rock. As for how it sounds you can click HERE and read my final thoughts on it on CYMBACAVUM. I haven't tried hooking up balanced headphones or IEM's yet but the plan is to get a balanced cable and find out if it makes a difference. When connecting the rig together using the balanced copper 22 interconnect I've noticed subtle differences over a single ended connection.

 


Edited by DigitalFreak - 7/12/13 at 10:06pm
post #5432 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG888 View Post

I wouldn't recommend using one of those rigid 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. It puts a lot of strain on the HP jack, which is probably just attached to the circuit board. You would be better off using a Grado adapter (good quality and reasonably-priced), or making your own adapter cable with a Neutrik line socket and plug. If you always use the 580s in this rig, why not just re-terminate the cable with a good quality 1/8" plug (e.g. Viablue, Switchcraft or Neutrik)?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

I probably use the 580s less than half the time. I get the best SQ out of them but I don't really want to carry that much gear around 24/7. Re-terminating isn't a bad idea though...

 

Sennheiser also sells a version of the cable with a 1/8" jack. Under $40, IIRC.

post #5433 of 13641

post #5434 of 13641
Would be interesting to know what everything is there Wingtsun?
post #5435 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post

Would be interesting to know what everything is there Wingtsun?

 

LOL! It's fairly uncomplicated, actually. Just the way the bits are positioned to give a neat way of placing it in a carry case. Here ya go:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/672159

 

Have added a bit more to the article here:

 

http://thirtyfivemill.com/just-add-headphones/

post #5436 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtsun View Post

LOL! It's fairly uncomplicated, actually. Just the way the bits are positioned to give a neat way of placing it in a carry case. Here ya go:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/672159

Have added a bit more to the article here:

http://thirtyfivemill.com/just-add-headphones/

Nice and neat solution WingTsun.......Bravo.

Interesting reading about the lightning cable out of the iPad4 having a reduced power output. I had a 10cm lightning to USB cable made up assuming thatbI would then be able to connect my iPad4 to my Original Solo and Rx Mk3 Rig. However when I tried it the other day it didn't work :-( didn't work with my iPhone 5 either. I'm now trying to work out if its reduced power from the Lightning adapter or the fact the Original Solo isn't compatible with the iPad 4 and iPhone 5.
post #5437 of 13641
Hifi-m8 DAC/Amp for idevices with ATH-ES10.
(one of 8 possible configurations that they offer)

a5e9ahyb.jpg

u8ady3un.jpg

Yep, sounds great!
post #5438 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post


Nice and neat solution WingTsun.......Bravo.

Interesting reading about the lightning cable out of the iPad4 having a reduced power output. I had a 10cm lightning to USB cable made up assuming thatbI would then be able to connect my iPad4 to my Original Solo and Rx Mk3 Rig. However when I tried it the other day it didn't work :-( didn't work with my iPhone 5 either. I'm now trying to work out if its reduced power from the Lightning adapter or the fact the Original Solo isn't compatible with the iPad 4 and iPhone 5.

 

It's probably not the Solo. I bought this hub:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634555/lightbox/post/9555238/id/873107

 

originally, thinking it would be a nice and smart solution.. didn't work.. It caused the same "device requires too much power" error that the amp connected directly caused. Apple put a software restriction in place, limiting the power output from 100mA to 20mA. Some hubs still won't work while others seem to allow 20mA through each of the 4 ports and possibly even 80mA via one port, though this has not been proven as far as I know. The hub in my pic and the Dr. Bott T3 hubs both work a treat. 

 

Your solution won't work because it effectively attaches the DAC directly to the iPad. Pop a USB hub in between like one of the two mentioned above and I'd bet you'd be in business. The hub in my setup is not there for decoration but rather because it has to be in order for the Predator to link with the iPad. :-)

post #5439 of 13641
Thanks for that mate.....I may get one of those and try it. Too be honest I only use the iPad for Spotify and I have an iPhone 4S which I use as a rule connected to the Solo and Rx for at home and the office. If I'm travelling I tend to use my Ak100 for portable use. The Solo / Rx is a bit of a big rig to cart around with the IPad 4.
post #5440 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post

Thanks for that mate.....I may get one of those and try it. Too be honest I only use the iPad for Spotify and I have an iPhone 4S which I use as a rule connected to the Solo and Rx for at home and the office. If I'm travelling I tend to use my Ak100 for portable use. The Solo / Rx is a bit of a big rig to cart around with the IPad 4.

 

No worries at all. Worth picking up a hub to try. Here's where I got mine:

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261040731459

 

At £6.85 it's worth a shot. The sellers deliberately don't show the pic with the Apple logo for fear of getting the auction pulled. They have the logos, though. ;-)

post #5441 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Hifi-m8 DAC/Amp for idevices with ATH-ES10.
(one of 8 possible configurations that they offer)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

a5e9ahyb.jpg

u8ady3un.jpg

 



Yep, sounds great!

 

This is one of those most wanted devices. I will probably get one too, but not the iDevice version :)

post #5442 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtsun View Post

No worries at all. Worth picking up a hub to try. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261040731459

At £6.85 it's worth a shot. The sellers deliberately don't show the pic with the Apple logo for fear of getting the auction pulled. They have the logos, though. ;-)

Cheers mate for that sort of price it won't hurt to get one, as you say. Gives me options if I'm using the iPad whilst away and want decent music but don't want to take iPad / iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
post #5443 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

It sounds good for the price, the bass boost is a ZO bass, you can get a free laser engraving of your choice, and you can re-program the digital potentiometer.

And it all has that in a nice, truly portable form factor.
Wow that sounds like a winner for 190 bucks, I'd like to hear it with some grados, it might have great synergy because grado is so light in the ass end
post #5444 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtsun View Post

 

LOL! It's fairly uncomplicated, actually. Just the way the bits are positioned to give a neat way of placing it in a carry case. Here ya go:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/672159

 

Have added a bit more to the article here:

 

http://thirtyfivemill.com/just-add-headphones/

 

Was not aware any RSA had Apple certification so am wondering what it is processing from the lightning output

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post

Nice and neat solution WingTsun.......Bravo.

Interesting reading about the lightning cable out of the iPad4 having a reduced power output. I had a 10cm lightning to USB cable made up assuming thatbI would then be able to connect my iPad4 to my Original Solo and Rx Mk3 Rig. However when I tried it the other day it didn't work :-( didn't work with my iPhone 5 either. I'm now trying to work out if its reduced power from the Lightning adapter or the fact the Original Solo isn't compatible with the iPad 4 and iPhone 5.

 

Maybe your cable maker did not re-sleeve an official Apple cable with the security chip because on the clas thread it is confirmed as working with lightning iOS devices


Edited by LFC_SL - 7/13/13 at 10:51am
post #5445 of 13641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

 

Was not aware any RSA had Apple certification so am wondering what it is processing from the lightning output

 

Oh it's probably just thin air going into the DAC, mate but what comes out sure sounds good to me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)