Title says it all.
I have been pondering over this for a few days, its for a friend, I suspect and AT or Beyer is the solution, and I am not familiar enough with those brands.
- Circumaural - comfortable
- Atleast decent isolation (leakage not an issue) pretty much drowning out background noise will suffice
- Large soundstage and accurate imaging for movies (which is a bit of a challenge because of the isolation requirement)
- Genres: Metal/Rock and the odd dubstep
- Easy drivability, my friend has an E7, and thats really it.
- Budget $500 incl amp
Here is what I have thought of:
- Beyer DT880 Premium 250ohm (again, issues with drivability, the 80ohm version ain't exactly efficient)
- AKG K242HD - can be powered decently off of the E7, but does need its own amp, the issue is isolation - its not so good.
- Grado - great for metal/rock - lacking in soundstage and isolation
- Hifiman HE-400, Cost and isolation.
I Also looked at a bunch of others, but they didn't match the Sound signature requirements. The odds are I missed a fair few, so enlighten me.
Edited by WiR3D - 10/31/12 at 3:14am